Picture distorted and pizelated with PVR box

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Picture distorted and pizelated with PVR box

Since last week, my picture has been pixelated and distorted. It "blinks" in and out, and eventually just stops all together - on both HD and non HD channels. My TV gives me the message of "unsupported signal. Please check device output." I was able to watch a few shows I'd recorded just fine without distortion so I know it's not the HDMI connection to my TV. And I'm able to plug the cable directly into the tv and watch it, so I know its not the cable signal itself. Yesterday, Rogers came out and gave me a new box, refurbished, and after about 2 hours, it started doing the same thing. The technician told me the old box had probably overheated because I had my DVD player sitting on top of it, but I haven't done that with the newer one. Any suggestions? This is driving me nuts and I don't want to waste another afternoon sitting around waiting for a house call from Rogers.

Thank you!

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Picture distorted and pizelated with PVR box

make sure it is in fixed output, not pass thru, not auto hdmi/dvi.  make sure ithe output res is 1080 or 720 atleast and u should be good.  if it anyrhing else, and u change channels, the tv does not decode the hdmi hdcp signals very well so it causes the unsupported signals,  you can also try analog component hd wires it will help but it wont be digital.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Which city are you in (I'm in Mississauga, On.)? I just started receiving pixelation problems last week as well. Sometimes the screen will go blank for a second. There does not seem to be a pattern to when this will occur.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm in Toronto. It is driving me crazy! I've changed the settings a bunch of times, but nothing seems to work.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Check out the following thread:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/message...

Pixelation and distortion seems to be a common problem. We have had everything checked out, a new line run, a new box and nothing has corrected the issue. We finally received a call and was told there was a problem with underground cables but your guess is as good as mine as to when Rogers will ever fix this. The person who notified me will not even return my calls now! I was told it was a major job so I guess Rogers does not want to spend the money to keep customers happy! 

I'm a Senior Advisor

I've had a similar problem and all the steps that IHR went through. Luckily the problem was down the street and easily fixed, it was fixed in a day or 2. It all depends how accessible the problem is I guess..
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions! Its really nice to know I'm not alone trying to deal with this and other people have had the exact same issue. The problem seems to have fixed itself, though I have no idea how that's possible after nearly a week of having a distorted picture. I came home last night and the channels were working more or less fine. I'm not so optimistic it will stay this way, but I am hopeful!

I'm Here A Lot

Its October 2012.....  We have had distortion in Keswick ON since the old PVR.  We were told to upgrade to the new NETBOX....we did. Now we have distortion and the box turns off and upgrades every morning at 2am. If you're a shift-worker or night owl, be warned.

We called Rogers and they said they would send someone out to fix it.  They came, said it was loose connections to the house. Now we have distortion, some channels are now just black/blank and there is no solution to the nightly 2am upgrades.  Forget any shows you are watching around 2am.  Wonder what the advertisers pay for having their commercials on around 2am?

OMG to say that we are frustrated is an understatement.

The calls, the try this, the try that....  Does anyone have a suggestion other than waiting for Rogers to dig up the neighborhood?  We have been faithful Rogers customers for years....  phone, cells, Internet, cable, cable packages....  we put up with the support call run arounds, the call backs, the half days off for the support person....   I'm beginning to think we are the dumb-dumbs for paying the hundreds we pay a month and get this quality of service.

Anyone know a friend that is NOT having this problem with another provider?  Perhaps its time to research Bell, Starchoice...whatever options are out there. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another Keswick-ian!

Unfortunately, i will start with.. there are not many other choices up here.. only satelite. (no fibe, etc).. and bell internet is max 3mb so..  rogers is the best for up here.

Not trying to pry, but what part of keswich? General area.
There is alot of OLD/BAD infrastructure here.. so that can be alot of it..

The distortion and missing channels, is most likely a signal issue.  Unfortunately, seems like you got a lazy tech.  There is more they can do to check.. just to make sure, etc.. they shouldnt have left, if it was having it, etc.   They should be trying to run a temp line, from the your street box, to your house, to see if that iliminates the problem. 
We had a similar issue, and it has illiminated, about 98% of the problem.
Only down side of a temp line.. would be that it MIGHT not get burried now, it might be to late in the season, till the spring.

Also, adding a booster inside, MIGHT help.

Beyond that.. its a street issue. (which is think is still partialy the issue here ocassionaly).  But you are talking TENS OF THOUSANDS of dollars, ripping up whole streets worth, etc, for them to do some of these changes... so until there is MAJOR issues, everyone down continualy, etc.. before they will change it.

SO i would give them a call.. get someone else back out.. and make sure they do all that. (they do also do evening calls for 5pm-8.. may  not get the next day, but but saves taking time off)

Now... as for the 2am thing.. there really is no FIX so to speak.  EVERYONES box updates around this time.. with this new guide, etc.. they all have to do it apparently.   It has been sugested that maybe they could implement something that let us choose WHEN.. but nothing as of yet.  Its just the way the box works, unfortunately 😞

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for that but perhaps I have simplified....  The line was replaced from the street this summer. Its never been buried, They tested the signal throughout the house, the cables were replaced earlier.... the splitters were replaced, and minimized, they checked all the settings on the box....said the signal was strong, showed us the NASCAR channel and all seemed fine.  Too bad I don't watch that channel.  Wife just said that CITYTV is the WORST, HD and regular.... all the 301 to 304 are black,  before they were just hit and miss distorted.  We have resorted to the 550's and up...  at least we are back to hit and miss distortion.  And as for PVR recordings that are so distorted and garbled.  No, its not the NETBOX because the upstairs PVR is having the same issues.

I've honestly exhausted all ideas.

Perhaps we will have to resort to Internet on Rogers and TV on Satellite.