Picture and sound cutting out when on HD tv type only

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Picture and sound cutting out when on HD tv type only

Hi,

I've just had Rogers installed, but didn't have a tv in the house yet at the time the installer came out, so have just tested it today. This is a TV I know has worked without issue in the past.

The rogers box is one of the new nextbox ones.

I've just moved from the UK, so have brought my things with me. I've stepped up the voltage to provide the tv with the correct voltage, and connected the rogers box directly to it via HDMI. The tv works over here, and accepts 50/60Hz without issue.

So my problem is that the picture/sound are cutting out intermittently, going to a blank screen and then back. They only cut for a second at most. Sometimes it'll happen numerous times in a short space of time, and other times it may go a good 30 seconds to a minute before doing it again.

I went into the settings on the rogers box, and played around. I switched the TV type to both of the SD versions (4:3 and 16:9). When at this setting, the picture and sound don't cut out at all. Albeit they're at 4:3 ratio, even on the 16:9 one.

When I switch back to the HD versions (either 720p or 1080i) the cutting out problem happens again. To confirm, this is an HD TV and works without issue with HD sources (i.e. sky box in the UK, blu-ray player, etc.).

I spoke with Rogers technical support and went through rebooting the box, double-checking the cables were in, etc. Unfortunately no luck.

There is a technician coming out tomorrow to have a look, but I wanted to see if anyone on here could help at all.

On a quick google, I did see someone else with this problem, but didn't have a resolution.

Thanks,

Graham.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Picture and sound cutting out when on HD tv type only

More often than not, what you are describing is either a signal strength or box issue. You may want to also check your HDMI cable. HDMI can be a real pain sometimes. Try another cable if you have one kicking around. Just make sure that the box and TV are both off when you do the switch.
I'm Here A Lot

Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I don't have another one kicking around. All my stuff from the UK should be arriving tomorrow, and then I'll have HDMI cables coming out my ears! 🙂

I have this cable as the Rogers installer left it, so was just using that one.

Hopefully it is a simple case of them fixing the signal strength or replacing the box. Do they usually carry boxes and/or tools to fix the signal strength? Hoping to have it fixed today so everything is working perfectly when my big TV arrives tomorrow 🙂

Thanks again,

Graham.

They do carry extra boxes. Don't know about the HDMI cables because they are not normally a part of what they do.
I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

Excellent - can hopefully get it all sorted today then.

In terms of fixing a signal strength problem, I assume that is something they can do whilst at the property as well?

Thanks again for your advice.

Graham.

Most of the time they can fix it on the spot unless the problem is down the line on their end.
I'm Here A Lot

Excellent, hoping for a good resolution today then.

Thanks for your time and advice - much appreciated.

Graham.

Good luck 🙂
I'm Here A Lot

My wife says he's out just now, but he's confused as to why it's doing it.

Believe he's switched the box, not sure about the cable. He's said it isn't signal strength.

Shall see if he can fix it.

The suggestion was try using component. I soon said component was not an acceptable solution. There id HDMI connectivity and it should work with that. Don't find paying for something that doesn't work a fair solution! 🙂

Fingers and toes crossed!

Thanks,

Graham.

I'm Here A Lot

So we finally managed to get it sorted.

After replacing the box, trying component (which worked), suggesting the TV was at fault, testing signal, etc., etc. he called his supervisor. His supervisor had said he'd seen the problem and suggested he replace the hdmi cable, as the ones that come with the box are usually rubbish. He opened a new box and got one, and that solved the problem! 🙂

My wife did suggest at the start about signal, box and cable, as you'd suggested her. I think he was reluctant to change the hdmi cable as they don't carry a spare, and would have had to open a new box. About an hour and a half later, that solved the problem!

Oh well, all's wel that ends well!

Thanks again 🙂

Graham.