Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

There will be a core specific set..  (mostly canadian i beleive) which is mandated by the CRTC.  (may vary slightly by region.. IE Ontario, vs quebec may have different ones, etc).
Beyond that, it will be up to the carrier, what else they choose to include in it.

And then additional channels will be on a per channel (or small groups) as options.

Channel costs may vary based on the channel.. an not as popular one, will be less than a very popular sports one, etc.

Actual pricing... we will have to wait and see.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BAY wrote:

Maybe... but that really does not matter in my mind. There is a March 1 deadline and NOTHING has been communicated. Tricky or not - we are coming up to the date and there has been lots of advance knowledge that this was coming.

Maybe Rogers is just waiting till the last minute in hopes that we will not notice the cheaper basic bundle (which is all I am interested in).

If it is really March 1, there is no excuse for not getting info out to your customers about a major change that is happening in less than a month's time.

Of course there is.

1.  The moment they release a price, Bell can undercut them.  Therefore, its in Rogers best interest to withhold info until they're absoloutly required to release it.

2.  Skinny Basic will mean less revenue per customer.  Once again, no incentive to release anything until legally required to do so.

I Plan to Stick Around

all last year I was told in the new year ... well ... happy new year

I am so sick of french channels that I never listen to

don't care about sports

and please don't force Canadian content on me

I would love to have the TCM channel without being forced to have all the other garbage

this would be my list

City News 7

CBC 26

TCM 48

Comedy Network 44

Buffalo WNED PBS 61

TVO 2

Global 3

CTV 8

CHCH 11

and if this doesn't I will just take my business elsewhere

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As has been mentioned before in this thread..

I think there is only ONE carrier currently in canada, who is even offereing anything close to a pick and pay option. (i think they are in quebec?)  NONE of the others are at the moment (so taking business elsewhere will not make much of a difference at the moment)

By march, all the carriers must cary a SKINY basic package.
This will be a small package, (suited to your area.. so have local chanels which other areas may not, etc), and pretty much all canadian channels as far as i am aware.  Carriers can add more than what the CRTC designates as min, their choice.

This can not excede $25.  (vs say the lowest package might be $45 or something right now for one)

That is all they HAVE TO have available by march.
They can choose to have the other pick and pay, completely by individual channels, available then but they do not have to until december.
At whatever time they do, you should be able to choose specific individual channels, to add on on top of the skinny basic (the skinny basic MUST be bought).  Pricing on these channels we wont know until it comes out.. but it will vary from channel to channel... likely sports and other specialty channels will cost more than most simple standard channels (part of the pricing may be based on what the channel owner charges the carrier for it, etc)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Like everyone has said, the Skinny basic package will come first, this means your basic package will only contain the minimum English AND FRENCH channels mandated by the CRTC regulatory body.

Because the French are mandatory, you can't ask for them to be removed, even if you dislike french channels or shows, just ignore them.

People will be able to save some money when this happens, but the bigger savings will happen by december when Pick and Pay comes out.

so if everyone is looking to save off their cable bill, they will see some initial savings if they switch to skinny basic come march, but if they want to save more, they will have to wait until December and get rid of their theme packs and switch to pick and pay.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

As has been mentioned before in this thread..

I think there is only ONE carrier currently in canada, who is even offereing anything close to a pick and pay option. (i think they are in quebec?)  NONE of the others are at the moment (so taking business elsewhere will not make much of a difference at the moment)

There were news reports of Rogers testing skinny basic and Pick & Pay in the London area, but we haven't heard a peep out of any London customers.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/03/29/rogers-tests-out-pick-and-pay-in-london

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cord-cutting-ramps-up-while-cable-providers-ready-for-pick-and-pay-t...

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/03/28/rogers-cable-customers-in-london-were-part-of-pilot-project-offeri...

"The verdict: Customers loved it, TV stations hated it and gave Rogers “significant push back” on making the move permanent, a Rogers spokesperson said."

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, that was a test... PRE all the CRTC stuff.

I'm a Regular

In our most recent bill Rogers included an info slip that announced internet service will see a rise of $3/mth, lower tier TV packages will increase by $1/mth, Digital Plus and MeTV goes up by $2/mth, Next tier of EXTRA and VIP packages by $3/mth, and HD VIP, VIP Ultra and Ultimate with Movie packages will increase by $4/mth.

I wonder if this has something to do with the announced layoffs and the introduction next month of the Skinny Basic packages?

I would expect that some individual channels will be much more expensive than those that few people watch.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The prices have gone up, pretty much every year, with 'inflation' Smiley Tongue  So wouldnt say specifically that skinny is a direct relation to it.

A thought though along that.. Skinny is CRTC mandated.. at the $25 max price..

My guess.. is they CANT touch this pricing with increases.

I've Been Around

As of March first the  New skinny package must be offered. Any word yet on this?