Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

Setting pricing for pick-and-pay channels must be a tricky balancing act in order to keep increasing profits, while at the same time making the customer feel they're getting a better deal. Now the floodgates have opened for Navigatr Beta, like a mass influx of Syrian migrants and customers are nervous and unpredictable. At this point P&P would be entering uncharted waters with another untested commodity.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm Here A Lot

Maybe... but that really does not matter in my mind. There is a March 1 deadline and NOTHING has been communicated. Tricky or not - we are coming up to the date and there has been lots of advance knowledge that this was coming.

Maybe Rogers is just waiting till the last minute in hopes that we will not notice the cheaper basic bundle (which is all I am interested in).

If it is really March 1, there is no excuse for not getting info out to your customers about a major change that is happening in less than a month's time.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @BAY

I agree. I called into Rogers couple days ago because my Cable is a bit high and asked about this. The rep knew a bit of the information which we already know but even they haven't been told anything. Seems like they are holding back on the information until they are near that date ( would assume middle of February or near the end). Or they are still trying to figure out the pricing for all the other packages seeing as many will cancel or downgrade from the packages to that one. I for one will as its alot paying for cable
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats just it.. its not a change, so to speak.
It is another option.

It will not be manditory for everyone to move over to.. nor will people be forced to it, etc.

So for eveyone, their current service would not be effected at all.. so does not really need an annoucement that far ahead of time.

Now.. i do agree, that its in rogers general best interest to keep people where they are.. for someone that does wish to switch over to it.. they likely may be loosing money on it.  So they will want to keep that information until the last second.

But its something that people will have to evaluate.
While i think there will be a fairly large number which does switch.. There will be just as many that DONT.. regardless of a notification or not.
It really comes down to what each person watches and what channels.  For heavy TV watches who do watch many DIFFERENT channels.. the costing may not be as good, and bundles may still provide the better savings.

I am interested in seeint what it will offer.

Will be going through and checking which channels we do watch/record... even occasionaly.. and then compare that to what we are currently on.
(luckily.. we do not not watch sports really.. that i think will be the KILLER pricing in the pick and pay)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually, from another forum.. i was reading some more about it.. and referenced back to the CRCT pages.

The March 1st deadline, is just for offering SKINNY BASIC.

That all providers must offer the BASIC package, costing no more than $25.  (so, a carrier which has say a minimum $50 plan right now.. would have to offer a $25 basic plan)

For FULL pick and pay, the carriers have up until Dec 2016.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

I seem to remember reading that somewhere as well.
I'm Here A Lot

I posted this earlier...

As per CBC... Beginning March 1, 2016, all Canadian TV providers will have to offer a basic package of channels for no more than $25 a month and give consumers the option of ordering individual channels à la carte or in small bundles.

So either "à la carte or in small bundles" have to be in place for March 1. I am not sure what constitutes small in this instance.  I am sure smaller than the bundles we currently get to choose from. Full implementation by end of year.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

The option for full pick & pay isn't required to be in place until the end of the year.

March is the deadline to offer the smaller bundle OR pick & pay.

I'm a Regular

So a basic skinny package for $25, eh. Will the other channels be free or will we have to pay additional fees for them? I can hardly wait. I have all this excess money laying about to buy The National Bingo channel and Fun With Flannel.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @Cap07

The other channels you will have to pay for i believe. Until Rogers announces something, we don't know much