Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

Yes, I remember reading about pick-and-pay coming. However, as I understood, it would be an option, not a forced change.  The existing packages would continue. However, if you were really unhappy with the 500-odd channels in your package, you could subscribe to some basic CRTC mandated package plus a handful of channels you choose. The catch is that this a-la-carte package would likely cost you more than any of the packages offered by Rogers.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That generally is the jist of what the pick and pay will be.

I beleive if my memeory serves me.. a MAX of $22 for the base package.  With like 25 or so channels.. all canadians ones all in there.

Then from there, you would pick which additional ones you wanted..  COSTING we dont really know yet.. i would guess it would CHANGE by channel.  A less popular channel likely would have a lower fee, a popular one (amc, hbo, sports channels) might be more money.  HOPING there will be some form of regulation on this to keep it in check somewhat.

Really comes down to WHAT you watch.

If you wanted the base + say only < 6 additional channels?  Yes, might be cheaper.
But when you started adding MORE.. likely the current packages, even though may have 100 channels you DONT want, would be cheaper.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Exactly. The CRTC is legislating that customers should be able to watch what they want in addition to the mandated CBC, Cancon, French, Aboriginal and Government channels.  However, the BDUs will still need to be profitable, so these choices will be costly.  I'll be sticking with my VIP Cable for $87/month with 500-odd channels, only maybe 10% of which I watch because a custom line-up of only the 50 I really would like would likely cost more and even then I'd probably miss some.  However, it would be nice if one could try it out for a month, change it from month to month, and revert to the original package at any time at the original cost.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

From the sounds.. it LOOKS like you could?

It sounded like they were going to have BOTH options available... not just 'grandfather' bundles.. but have the choice to choose one as well say for a new, etc customer.

I'm a Regular

I keep hearing this may all be moot as more and more people are cutting their cable and watching programmes on the interweeb.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is a way that things are going.

But All depends on your watching habits.

While there IS some stuff.. some live sports stuff, is not overly easy to get via the web (without paying a big sub for it there as well).

Many stations, will have stuff on demand.. but can take a while to get posted.  (some are region locked though)
Takes even longer to get them say on netflix, etc. 
All comes down to how quick you want to watch the stuff.

To LEGITIMATELY get all the same sort of content... can almost be just as costly.
Legaly paying for subs to Netflix, Hulu, amazon, other services to get the shows you want.. do add up.
Again, all comes down to ones watching habit.

one thing to watch is many stuff posted about cord cutting.. you will hear peopel RAVING about getting an 'andriod box' and never having to pay for anything ever again, all the new shows/movies for free.  While the box itself is not illegal, etc... those sorts of content being streamed IS.. those people are illegaly streaming the content out without permission, etc.  If everyone watches without paying (either via a tv sub, or direct to the streaming service, etc).. the content owner will get VERY LITTLE income.. no income, cant create new content.

-----

I myself am more a MIXED environment now. 
1/2 Cable, 1/2 streamed.

I will take a peek at the pick and pay when it comes out, see if can narrow it down, to a savings point.

But my wife watches a lot which is NOT readily available via streaming methods

I'm Here A Lot

As per CBC... Beginning March 1, 2016, all Canadian TV providers will have to offer a basic package of channels for no more than $25 a month and give consumers the option of ordering individual channels à la carte or in small bundles.

So... this is coming fast and will soon be upon us. It is less than 5 weeks away. I have not seen anything from Rogers as to what this means to me or what my options are. Has anyone seen this? Does anyone know when this info will be available?

Thanks

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

Unfortunately nothing regarding the options available or what the pricing will be has been announced yet.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@BAY yes, that's the date that was announced and supposedly it was being tested in the London area, but so far we haven't heard a peep from anyone that's seen it.  However, rest assured that you can keep your present package by doing nothing. Most people will get much better value from existing packages if they watch a lot of TV.  When it becomes available, you'll have to do the math to see "skinny basic" plus all the other channels you want to watch will actually cost less than what you're paying now. My guess is not.

I've also seen posts here that customers have received notification of another price increase, but haven't seen anything myself. My VIP costs me $86.99 right now including tax. If it goes over $100 I'll be re-evaluating my options, including cancelling cable altogether.

Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

There is a rate increase coming up. Internet packages are increasing by $3.00/month, Home Phone by $2.00/month (I think) and the cable increase depends on what core package and what add-ons you subscribe to.