Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

Here is an interesting article on the pros and cons of Pick & Pay.

http://www.thestar.com/business/2015/03/19/the-pros-and-cons-of-crtcs-pick-and-play-announcement.htm...

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm an Advisor

Everything is complete speculation until we see what's on offer and at what price. I'm on the sceptical side that we're going to save much, if anything. One thing that comes to mind is, will packages like TMN/HBO Canada get big price hikes? I have a feeling that I'll stick with what I have now, even though I watch a very small number of channels. Time will tell what the reality will be.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Exactly, we will have to wait and see what happens.

All channels may not be the same price.

Rogers i am sure, has to pay more to HBO to get the rights.. than say to Treehouse.

That COULD reflect in channel pricing.

I HOPE that they will keep existing BIGER bundles like VIP.. but you never know.
Often as we see with internet, etc.. yes you can KEEP what you want if you grandfather it.. but often for many changes afterwards.. you are sort of FORCED into the new packages.. and could be forced into the new model?

Again we will have to see 🙂

I guess worse case, if its not a HUGE savings.. at least you could put your box to show only subcribed, and have to sift through alot LESS channels? 😛

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Though I watch only a handful of channels, I'm hoping that pick and pay will be an option and that the present scheme remains an option.

I've always been a bit skeptical of the pick and pay format. One reason is channels that have a lower viewership could very well disappear as the cost would likely be too high or the cost of each popular channel could be priced to cover the cost of keeping the more obscure channel available.

It will be interesting to see how the cable companies handle it and cover their cost plus some profit.
I Plan to Stick Around

How is this really different than Digital Lite for $15 with say TMN added on? Instead we'll be able to add individual channels like I can get Digital lite plus HGTV and TLC?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

thats just more it.

That you could add channels like those... ones which were NOT available to get seperately before.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@kso That is fine if the channel you want is still available. If not enough people want to add it to their package, chances are a cable company may not offer it at all.

I do see some advantages to pick and pay. I know that I now get some channels that I will never watch, but there are also some channels I seldom watch and would not pick but it is nice to have the option if I do want to watch it occasionally

Another thing to keep in mind is that in many families, viewing preference differs from person to person. What I would pick is certainly not what my husband or daughter would pick. Depending on the cost per channel it could add up quickly..

Good evening @Meowmix @Lurker @OLDYELLR @Gdkitty @ecar @jays77 & @kso ,

I wanted to shed some light on Rogers position in regards to the new CRTC ruling for cable packages.

We’re pleased with the CRTC’s recent decision because it means more options for you.

Here at Rogers we are fully aware that the way our customers view entertainment is quickly evolving. We know you want more flexibility so you can design your own personalized experience and that’s what we want to offer.

At this point in time, we’re still reviewing the CTRC’s decision as there are a number of details to work out.

Rogers will start offering the small basic package (which will not cost more than $25) to its customers by March 2016. 

On top of the minimum basic package, TV providers are required to:

• Offer channels either on a pick-and-pay basis OR through small, reasonably priced bundles by March 2016 and
    • Offer channels on a pick-and-pay basis AND through small, reasonably priced bundles by December 2016

We’re not going to force these changes on you. Based on the CRTC decision, customers who want to keep their current setup will have that option. Many customers enjoy the value and selection of the channels they get with large packages.

Customers who buy larger packages pay much less per channel.

• Some channels, such as sports services, will cost more to buy alone due to their very high programming costs. We don’t know what that pricing will be.
  • New pricings will depend on a few factors such as:
    • How much channel owners charge us to offer their channels in pick packs or on a pick-and-pay basis.
    • How many customers actually choose particular channels. 

We will have more details about how this will work in the future and we will continue to work to provide our customers with the best possible value.

RogersMaude

Pick & Pay - CRTC

Good evening @d_potter ,

It has now been confirmed that Rogers will start offering the small basic package (which will not cost more than $25) to its customers by March 2016.

On top of the minimum small basic package, TV providers are required to:

• Offer channels either on a pick-and-pay basis OR through small, reasonably priced bundles by March 2016 and
    • Offer channels on a pick-and-pay basis AND through small, reasonably priced bundles by December 2016

We’ll have more details about how this will work in the future.

Hope this helps!

RogersMaude

I'm an Enthusiast

Lately, I've been hearing or reading about coming changes to the way we will watch TV. I've hear, for instance, we will be presented with a CRTC mandated Basic TV package that will contain a dozen or more barely self-sustaining channels. This core group of channels will be on everyone's bill for twenty or thirty dollars. Then we wil get to handpick any additional channels at a cost per channel of anywhere between $2 and $10 per month.

Has anyone else heard this? It's supposedly happening between early next year and 2017.