Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

@OLDYELLR wrote:
[...]

The big loophole is that you can't watch any TV for $25 because you have to buy or rent a Rogers box. Not $25 anymore, even without tax.

Ah, I see. Yes, $25/month is, I agree, somewhat a misnomer if you add the other things you need. I haven't paid particular attention to that issue of the skinny plan itself, though, as I'm satisfied with our Digital Plus package ($62/mo) and wish to remain on it. At the same time, I don't want to be frozen out of adding new channels and theme packs in the name of changes that need not have been so broad in the first place.

I don't think Rogers was required to revamp their entire line of packages. At a minimum, I think adding the mandated $25 basic plan to their existing lineup, plus the single pick-and-pay and small package options as required by the regulator ought to have been sufficient to satisfy. IMHO, the in-market lineup today could have looked simply like "Starter, [plus everything they had before, i.e. Digital Plus, VIP, etc.]".

Instead, Rogers has gone and hit the big "RESET" button on the entire lineup to improve profitability, and imposed no-add restrictions on grandfathered packages, with "the regulator made us do it" as vague justification to its customers. The grain of truth in that set of changes about skinny basic and pick-and-pay forced on them makes the whole of the vague justification easier to swallow. But I think the specific piece I'm hearing on "you can't add anything, sorry; grandfathered plan! too bad..." may just amount to claptrap.

Regards,

Chris W. Rea

I Plan to Stick Around

Well well. December 2016 came and went. Rogers -of course- dissapointed US (customers) once more. The "engineering" of packages with contents of same genre(zero options offered - no variety at all. who on earth  thinks that a person wants to buy every channels that exist for a specific genre ONLY. The whole scheme is deplorable and is pathetically insulting to our intelligence.

Is it conceivable that no one in Rogers thought of allowing the customer to pick each individual channel it wants on its "package"?

WHY IS IT (other than it is inconvenient for Rogers and their greed in making as much money as possible from us) that there is not even ONE PACKAGE OFFERED consisting of 10 channels that customer can put together for say

$ 20 per month in addition to the Starter $24.99  as in

e.g.: Sportsnet + Tree House + The Movie Channel + Gusto + Classic Movies + Foodland + Disney Channel + TSN 2-3 +TSN International.

Nooo that is ANATHEMA for Rogers! That would please Customers too much. We dont need to do that for them. We have them where we want them to be. Frustrated and resentful!

Unbelievable !

Prices per individual channels ca la carte are outrageously expensive.

I'm a Senior Advisor

There are actually competitors top tier, and 3rd tier wholesaler buyers who have provided true pick and pay and one company has even done two low end tiers - one at 17.95, and the other at 24.99 - the big companies now require you to pay for equipment, but in bundles, they give discounts on equipment, which they originally did not, but CRTC did force them to offer the same bundle discounts to all channel mixes, including starter as the other packages. December 2016 rulings.

So yes, CRTC made them do it, but they did not have to restrict offers to previous customers, they did not have to start off by refusing to bundle the lower packages using same model for upper models.

I have done a comprehensive comparison of the various packages, and to get the same mix as I have now, it doesn't matter how I pick things (every mix ends up being the same, price, but with less channels that I never watched anyway).

I had an interesting idea which was to get the skinny, I have a box, so no hardware costs, get the few channels I want, and the HBO we already have - they made us think, do we need the stuff, went from 25 channels we sort of watched to 4 - thank your Rogers for forcing us out of our tv addiction and rationalize it all. We will be getting Internet from another provider and drop home phone - outcome - Rogers loses a lot of money from us, it costs us not that much less, but others will get the money - be too greedy, and we the customers get smart.

And definitely, they are doing exactly as they said at CRTC in 2016 that they would be aggressively moving us off old packages, and had been working at it, but customers weren't moving as much as they peferred, so new model seems to be offer us nothing, and major decentivies to do so, and when our contracts run out, we have to renogiate right from scratch, and don't even know what we will be offerred (which means we can't shop around in advance), so at best we can compare to new customer rates - I would hope they meet those and offer loyalty discounts, or why stay - they are the same as everyone else, and the lower packages are a better mix and deal.

So let's see what happens over time.  This may completely backfire.

Bruce

P.S. that 10 channel package you speak of, their major competitor offers, flat rate on first 5, further discount on 10, more discount on 20 with another competitor, and even one that starts with an even smaller skinny (very basic over the air channels, then you add others at 2.00 each (other than higher end speciality like sports and a few others), and discounts as you increase from 5 - 20.

So yes they can, others have, they just haven't.  We still get the old model of garbage mixed in with what we want, and no real choice without paying high prices with lots of what we don't want to get it all.  So might as well go up to premium - but you are still going to find a few you have to pay for.  Win win, whatever way you look at it for Rogers, lose, lose for customers.  And yes, it is an insult to our intelligence - I hope that we aren't the only few that can see through this, or are the majority of purchasers, just well marketed lemmings?  I hope not.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

P.S. that 10 channel package you speak of, their major competitor offers, flat rate on first 5, further discount on 10, more discount on 20 with another competitor, and even one that starts with an even smaller skinny (very basic over the air channels, then you add others at 2.00 each (other than higher end speciality like sports and a few others), and discounts as you increase from 5 - 20.
====================

I would be interested in knowing who offers "pick and make your own package" with the idea of my example in my last post.
Please feel pree to private message me should you feel inclined to share that information with Me.
Thank you Bruce.