Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

In the end, these are things which unforunately will drive people back to keep the bigger packages 
(which is what Rogers, etc will want).

The number of cables boxes you can have on the pacakges (full or dta's).. etc.. is all based on the pacakage.

VIP you can have up to 6.. but some of the previous BASIC pacages.. it was only 1-2.
Even with those.. if you wanted more.. you had to pay an additional fee.

Because the fees for those additional 'outlets' is not included in the pacage.

I've Been Around

I have looked on the rogers site and can not find anything regarding the new crtc package. the idea sounds good . as a senior on a limited income it would be helpful. I did find something unusual as I was researching the subject, it seems that Netflix does not list rogers or bell Canada as a service provider.. if that's true, how do get Netflix in Canada?
I'm a Senior Advisor

@spidey11 wrote:
I have looked on the rogers site and can not find anything regarding the new crtc package. the idea sounds good . as a senior on a limited income it would be helpful. I did find something unusual as I was researching the subject, it seems that Netflix does not list rogers or bell Canada as a service provider.. if that's true, how do get Netflix in Canada?

1.  The CRTC mandated 'skinny basic' package is called the "Starter" package.  Look for that name on Rogers website.

2.  Netflix is simply a web-based service.  All you need is internet, provided by anybody (Rogers, Bell, TekSavvy, Explornet...it doesn't matter), and a device able to open the Netflix site (like a smart TV, smart Blu-ray player) etc to watch Netflix on your TV.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@spidey11 wrote:
Netflix does not list rogers or bell Canada as a service provider.. if that's true, how do get Netflix in Canada?

As Lurker said, Netflix is Internet based and you have to subscribe, about $10/month plus tax. You can get it on your computer or Smart TV.  Canadian Netflix is a watered-down version of U.S. Netflix. Rogers has Shomi for $1 less and less content. They all have the first month free if you cancel within a month.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Any updates?  This is supposed to be possible now, but how do I find where I can add single channels to my existing account?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Other than in select ones which were already that way.  You cant.

Pick and pay, does not apply to any already existing or bundled plans.

To be able to fully pick and choose single channels, you need to start off with the basic starter plan ($25 for like 20 some odd canadian channels), then can add single ones ontop.

I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty wrote:

Other than in select ones which were already that way.  You cant.

Pick and pay, does not apply to any already existing or bundled plans.

To be able to fully pick and choose single channels, you need to start off with the basic starter plan ($25 for like 20 some odd canadian channels), then can add single ones ontop.

Re: the part I made boldface, above. I recently discovered to my own disappointment that what you described is indeed Rogers' current policy. I had wanted to add the new Kids Entertainment pack (with Disney Jr., etc.) to what our family already has (Digital Plus). Multiple Rogers CSRs said we couldn't, i.e. not without moving to one of the newer packages. But, I just don't buy the policy that one must go on Starter, Select, Popular, or Premier just to be able to add a single channel or theme pack now. i.e. they have completely frozen out grandfathered plans from any adds.

It is a plausible sounding policy on the surface, reasonable thing to do for any profit-oriented business. And in any normal business, it would completely be Rogers' prerogative to make that kind of policy. But Rogers are, after all, operating in a regulated industry, and it smacks me as contrary to the spirit of pick-and-pay that they would be able to do such. So I thought: what would the regulator already have said on the subject, if anything?

I discovered that the current Broadcast Distribution Regulations do have something to say on this issue. It isn't definitive, as there is an out in an "except as otherwise..." clause, but I do believe that if no exception has been specifically made then the policy would be in contravention of the Regulations.

I'd like to know what other people think of my line of reasoning. See http://laws.justice.gc.ca/PDF/SOR-97-555.pdf and go to the "Distribution and Linkage" heading, sections 23 (1) through (4) on labeled page # 41 (actual page #47 in the PDF). Quoting part 23 (4) specifically:

"(4)  Except as otherwise provided under a condition of its licence or these Regulations, a licensee shall not, on or after December 1, 2016,  distribute a programming service or package of programming services such that, in order to obtain that service or package, a subscriber is required to  subscribe  to  an  additional  programming  service  or package of programming services"

Furthermore, I haven't been able to find anything in the Regulations themselves that indicate it is acceptable for Rogers to treat existing grandfathered/bundled plans any different than their in-market plans. The Regulations make no disctinction of in-market vs. grandfathered; all are considered "first-tier offerings".

So, I am expecting that if Rogers have truly been permitted to treat grandfathered plans as an exception, it should be detailed in their license or something else from the CRTC and we shouldn't just have to take Rogers' word for it. I've since asked Rogers to reconcile the policy vis-a-vis section 23 (4) in the Regulations and am awaiting response.

IMHO, if there is no valid exception, and Rogers does not reverse on this policy decision, then a formal complaint could be filed with the regulator. From my reading of the Broadcast Act, the CRTC does have the power to compel Rogers to remedy the situation, if they are found in contravention of Regulations. I really would love to see the pick-and-pay available on the grandfathered plans.

Anyway, has anybody else here had a look at this Rogers pick-and-pay policy from a regulatory standpoint yet? Thanks; peace.

Regards,

Chris W. Rea

I'm a Senior Advisor

@ChrisWRea Yes, you're finding out how "business" works. The "$25 skinny basic" and pick & pay were forced upon the providers by the CRTC in response to customers' demands.  They found a big loophole and what you're seeing is the result, no free lunch, in fact, less content for more money.  It baffles me that they would go this way instead of trying to stay competitive with our options.

I've Been Here Awhile

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@ChrisWRea Yes, you're finding out how "business" works. The "$25 skinny basic" and pick & pay were forced upon the providers by the CRTC in response to customers' demands.  They found a big loophole and what you're seeing is the result, no free lunch, in fact, less content for more money.  It baffles me that they would go this way instead of trying to stay competitive with our options.

@OLDYELLR: Hmm, I don't see a loophole anywhere -- yet. Are you presuming there is one, or do you know of an actual one? If so, what is the loophole, and where is it documented?

Or, if you're just saying that the TV service providers have simply used new regulation itself as the loophole, i.e. as an excuse to replace old packages with completely new packages that provide fewer desired channels for more money, then yes, I agree. It is a great way to make a leap forward in rates without having to send out a shocking announcement to customers that a plan price is going up by some ridiculous amount. And Rogers' policy to not permit adding pick-and-pay or new theme packs on grandfathered plans is a way to get customers to gradually, begrudgingly move to those more expensive plans. (I imagine that outright cancelling all grandfathered plans would cause a customer revolt.)

I really want to know what precisely permits Rogers to have such a policy. Until I see it in ink, I'm doubtful they're allowed to do that, based on what I've researched so far.

Regards,

Chris W. Rea

I'm a Senior Advisor

ChrisWRea

@OLDYELLR: Hmm, I don't see a loophole anywhere -- yet. Are you presuming there is one, or do you know of an actual one? If so, what is the loophole, and where is it documented?

The big loophole is that you can't watch any TV for $25 because you have to buy or rent a Rogers box. Not $25 anymore, even without tax.