Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

@lockdown2341 wrote:

Wow, all of you guys are completely and totally off base here. I'm not sure how me saying "adapters have always been free and that hasn't changed" has morphed into "you now have to pay for it" within one page of forum posts.

DTAs are still free. However when you get the Starter you need a regular rental or purchased box.

As for someone earlier mentioning that DTAs were discontinued last year, that is sort of correct. Anyone who still has cable outlets with only analog cable on them and NO digital box whatsoever can get a digital adapter if they don't want to rent a box. But otherwise, no you can't get them.

Thats where part of the question sort of comes in Lockdown2341.

If someone had the older 'basic' tv packages .. they could then get the DTA then for free.
If someone then wanted to switch to the SKINNEY now (even more basic), they would be forced to PAY for a digital box?
The one user above, is saying that they are being force to PAY For their DTA now.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@lockdown2341 wrote:

DTAs are still free. However when you get the Starter you need a regular rental or purchased box.

As for someone earlier mentioning that DTAs were discontinued last year, that is sort of correct. Anyone who still has cable outlets with only analog cable on them and NO digital box whatsoever can get a digital adapter if they don't want to rent a box. But otherwise, no you can't get them.

If someone wants to subscribe to the $25 Starter Package and not purchase or rent a cable box but use a digital adapter, which will get all those channels (in SD) they will apparently be charged an extra $10 a month. How is that "free"? This looks like a sneaky way for Rogers to charge more than the CRTC mandated $25.

As for the DTAs being discontinued, I do remember an announcement something like that from Rogers, but clearly they're not because you can order them right on line. I haven't used that page because I already have all the DTA50s I need, so I don't know if there are now restrictions on ordering them.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

@Gdkitty wrote:

@lockdown2341 wrote:

Wow, all of you guys are completely and totally off base here. I'm not sure how me saying "adapters have always been free and that hasn't changed" has morphed into "you now have to pay for it" within one page of forum posts.

Thats where part of the question sort of comes in Lockdown2341.

If someone had the older 'basic' tv packages .. they could then get the DTA then for free.
If someone then wanted to switch to the SKINNEY now (even more basic), they would be forced to PAY for a digital box?
The one user above, is saying that they are being force to PAY For their DTA now.

@Gdkitty

Yes, on an old cable package, if you had a television only using basic cable with no digital box whatsoever, you could get the digital adapter for free so you could continue to actually get the channels. If someone wants to be on the new Starter Package, they need to have a rental or purchased box to be eligible for the package. No one is being forced to pay for a digital adapter. If the user above wants to continue to keep theirs on a second cable outlet, then it would be free, but they need to get an additional rental or purchaed box to even change to the starter package.

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@lockdown2341 wrote:

If someone wants to subscribe to the $25 Starter Package and not purchase or rent a cable box but use a digital adapter, which will get all those channels (in SD) they will apparently be charged an extra $10 a month. How is that "free"? This looks like a sneaky way for Rogers to charge more than the CRTC mandated $25.

As for the DTAs being discontinued, I do remember an announcement something like that from Rogers, but clearly they're not because you can order them right on line. I haven't used that page because I already have all the DTA50s I need, so I don't know if there are now restrictions on ordering them.

@OLDYELLR

A person cannot subscribe to the starter package and not purchase or rent a cable box. It's one or the other; they get a rental/purchased box to get on the starter package or they don't get on that package at all. Not sure where you are getting this "extra $10 a month" from. They only really need a SD terminal to be eligible for the package which is $5.95/month plus taxes.

And again, as per the CRTC, the $24.95/month for the package only applies to the package itself. There was never anything stating the price had to include any equipment rentals.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay super...so how much is the 24.95 package going to cost me in TOTAL...for 2 tv's to watch in HD....
I'm an Advisor

Hello @donewith,

$24.95 + $12.95 for first HD box + $12.95 for second HD box - total would be $50.85/month + plus taxes. 

The hardware pricing is per the Rogers hardware page at http://www.rogers.com/consumer/tv/hardware.

If you have other Rogers services (Internet, home phone, wireless, security, etc), you might be best served by getting basic cable and calling Customer Retentions to work out a deal. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

@lockdown2341 wrote:

A person cannot subscribe to the starter package and not purchase or rent a cable box. It's one or the other; they get a rental/purchased box to get on the starter package or they don't get on that package at all. Not sure where you are getting this "extra $10 a month" from. They only really need a SD terminal to be eligible for the package which is $5.95/month plus taxes.

And again, as per the CRTC, the $24.95/month for the package only applies to the package itself. There was never anything stating the price had to include any equipment rentals.

Exactly! Rogers is doing an end run around the CRTC mandate of $25.  Unless a customer owns a STB, it will cost a minimum of $35. It's all in the fine print.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@robindp wrote:

Hello @donewith,

$24.95 + $12.95 for first HD box + $12.95 for second HD box - total would be $50.85/month + plus taxes. 

And with a regular package to get the same in HD.. lets say digital basic.
40.48+12,95+12.95 = $66.38

Which is the point i have been trying to say.. 

The CRTC's mandate was NEVER anything to do with any of the boxes.

It is just around the packages, channels, and their pricing/availability.

ANY of the forms, then require a box rental of some form.. How many, what type, etc is then up to the user to then choose.

I'm an Advisor

Very true - set top boxes are always above and beyond any pricing mandated by the CRTC, not disagreeing with you.

This is why I advocate trying for a Retentions deal - users can get better pricing if they are willing to accept a term (contract) that guarantees the provider money over the long term. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Today, I wanted to add a theme package to my digital basic only to be told I could not use the starter theme packs.  I wasnt asking to move down to the starter pack but just add a theme pack from the starter selections.  Is there a good reason not to offer all of the theme packs to everyone?  I dont want the larger packages.  

This looks like someone didnt think this through. They should be happy that I wanted to upgrade my package, albeit in a baby step.  Maybe if I was satisfied with that pacakge I would add others which would move me up to the cost of the VIP package.   

Retail stores do a good job doing just that.  Ikea is an example that is happy to let you pick and chose.  Why cant Rogers?  Get with it.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@lnoens I believe you can add theme packs to digital basic, just not the smaller, more economical ones you can add to the Starter Pack.