Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

Thanks Bay. Good to know! I was afraid we would be forced to watch 'VHS quality'. It irks me everytime I change the channel and brand new shows show up in bad quality. HD has been around for decades yet more than 1/2 digital plus is not much better then VHS. Yet you can watch a movie that is 75 years old in HD...

When I renegotiated a few weeks ago (contract was coming due), I was very specific that I would be adjusting our cable once the new packages where out. If they renege I imagine I'll be on the phone with them and NOT a happy camper. I refuse to pay for slow/buggy boxes that continually crash (even with the new software).

I'm a Senior Advisor

@BAY wrote:

I called them on Monday night and chatted with a very nice and helpful service representative about the Starter Package.

1) The stations are all in HD. There is no gotcha there... so that is nice.

2) The starter package will not be available as any bundle offer. This is the gotcha. If your get the starter package, then you pay full price for the other services (phone and internet). No bundle discounts.

! currently have some pretty big discounts in my package, which includes basic cable. Dropping to the starter package would be great and save me about $20 on the TV I watch. However I get dinged on the "triple-play" bundle discounts on the other services. I am still evaluating what to do.

Okay, I suppose it's called a Starter Package because it's meant for new customers.  But how about seniors forced into retirement, whose income just dropped to half or less of what it was previously, and are looking to cut back from their bells and whistles package? I suppose those with Rogers could "start" with Bell and vice versa. Smiley Surprised

And there's a catch in the "HD" part also.  If one just wanted a DTA50 instead of renting or buying a higher end STB, there's no HD.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@OLDYELLR wrote:

@BAY wrote:

I called them on Monday night and chatted with a very nice and helpful service representative about the Starter Package.

1) The stations are all in HD. There is no gotcha there... so that is nice.

2) The starter package will not be available as any bundle offer. This is the gotcha. If your get the starter package, then you pay full price for the other services (phone and internet). No bundle discounts.

! currently have some pretty big discounts in my package, which includes basic cable. Dropping to the starter package would be great and save me about $20 on the TV I watch. However I get dinged on the "triple-play" bundle discounts on the other services. I am still evaluating what to do.

Okay, I suppose it's called a Starter Package because it's meant for new customers.  But how about seniors forced into retirement, whose income just dropped to half or less of what it was previously, and are looking to cut back from their bells and whistles package? I suppose those with Rogers could "start" with Bell and vice versa. Smiley Surprised

And there's a catch in the "HD" part also.  If one just wanted a DTA50 instead of renting or buying a higher end STB, there's no HD.

I just checked it out and yest you can see whats available while signed in to you MyRogers account. 

@OLDYELLER  I believe the Starter Pack is available to anyone who wants to switch to it.  The Starter name is because thats what you start with but you can add other packages to it.  According to their site there are 29 "Theme Packs" ( at varying prices) to choose from.    As for the DTA50 and HD,  one doesn't get HD with it now, so that is no change.

As a senior I know what you mean about needing to cut cost and once it is possible to add individual channels I may take a look at it.  I know the $25.00 starter doesn't entice me much right now but depending on the cost of individual channels it may become an option.

As much as I'm ticked off at Rogers over the Navigatr issue I give them credit for a pretty good layout of what is available and compareable for their TV packages.

I've Been Here Awhile

I just switched from the Basic cable plan to the new Starter Package. Here's the catch, they don't mention this on their site:

With Basic I had one free digital adapter box; with the new starter package, I now have to pay an extra $5 + for the digital adapter. In summary, you are still paying less for the starter package than the basic cable package but not much less!

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Rob9 wrote:

I just switched from the Basic cable plan to the new Starter Package. Here's the catch, they don't mention this on their site:

With Basic I had one free digital adapter box; with the new starter package, I now have to pay an extra $5 + for the digital adapter. In summary, you are still paying less for the starter package than the basic cable package but not much less!

So let us understand. Previously you had Basic Cable and a free digital adapter, that's it? No other set top box? Now you have the Starter Package and you have to pay $5 + tax extra each month for the free digital adapter? Sounds less than honest to me, hidden costs not advertised. Basically, you're getting the Starter Package for $30 + tax a month, instead of the $25 advertised.  There's the catch.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Well, the info for the sinny basic.. doesnt say anywhere includes any digital box rental.. i think it actually says a digital box etc is necessary.

That bing said.. IF the DTAs which were free before, there is a charge now.. that should be advertised.

As well.. its possible this case could be like the difference between some of the plans before.. were X many digital outlets were allowed.. Skinny may only include one? And need to pay for additional?
Though, again, this isnt advertised anywhere, etc..

I'm a Senior Advisor

Yes, I think Rogers was forced into this by the CRTC, so they're using every loophole possible to make a little more money. But let's say a customer cancelled their cable package and STB rental, then requested a digital adapter and ordered the Started Package. Where does it say they have to pay an extra $5+ a month above the cost of the package?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It may be a loophole, etc..

Yes rogers provides X many DTAs FREE.. on a regular plan.
The number though, is based on your plan.. the old basic TV packages, without paying the extra outlet fees, etc.. you could then only get ONE, etc.

But the FREE DTA.. the FREE part.. may be a PERK.. something built into that plan.

The skinny plan.. may not include that 'perk'

This is not me saying its RIGHT.. far from it.. Just some possibilities as to WHY.

I agree, that with skinny, the cost of ONE DTA FREE should be included.
Beyond that.. additional boxes, or more advanced ones?  User pays the difference / additional

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I find it quite comical that some actually thought Rogers would play nice here....
Rogers Employee lockdown2341
Rogers Employee

The DTAs have always been free. That hasn't changed at all. You can have as many of those as you want with the Starter Package, but you need to have at least one rental or purchased box, SD or HD. I believe when the CRTC put all this into effect, the packages were designed to be $25.00/month plus tax, excluding the cost of any equipment