Pick & Pay - CRTC

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Pick & Pay - CRTC

Hey guys!

So the CRTC just announced that the Pick & pay will go ahead & basic package will be $25 & then pick & pay after that, What are your views on this topic? I for one am happy about this & hopefully Rogers goes through with it in Sept. 

Source = http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/pick-and-pay-crtc-to-unveil-changes-to-how-tv-channels-are-packaged-...

*****Edited labels*****

I've Been Around

Pick & Pay - CRTC

Is there a date for when the CRTC ruling regarding channel packaing will be implemented?

***Edited labels***

I'm a Senior Advisor

Pick & Pay - CRTC

From what I have seen, it could take at least a number of months!

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r27350387-TV-CRTC-ruling-favours-more-choice-in-TV-bundles

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Pick & Pay - CRTC

Call me a cynic, but I don't see how this is going to benefit comsumers at all, given the big BDU's irrational persuit of obscene profit margins.

Bell, Rogers et al will find some way to make this not worth anybody's while out of spite, I'm sure.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Lurker

It all depends. I have spoken to a few others on other forums & while they do see that Rogers might fight others ways, the CRTC does seem to go the right way
I'm a Senior Advisor

I do believe there are unadvertised and grandfathered packages less than $25, so that would be a price hike.

As for Pick & Pay, I can't see where anyone could get more of what they like to watch and eliminate the hundreds of garbage and duplicate channels and end up paying less than their present package. The cable companies know that.

The only way this can work and be fair is to assign value points to channels, like 1 point for garbage and duplicate channels and, say 5 points for desirable ones, like CNN and various sports and other high value channels. Then you could get rid of 5 channels you don't want and replace it with one channel you do want that's not in your package and not end up paying any more.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Meowmix wrote:
Hello Lurker

It all depends. I have spoken to a few others on other forums & while they do see that Rogers might fight others ways, the CRTC does seem to go the right way

The policy is sound.....the implementation will cause it to fail.

Remember who owns the channels as well as the distribution method......

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Lurker

Yeah that is true & i agree with you on that. Cable providers will find ways to make it fail or change something.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It will all come down to watching habits.

For some, say They want primarily Space, AMC, and food.
They could pay $25 + 3 channels. Even if say $5 a channel you would be $40 total.
Normally you would be paying 74 for VIP to get all that
It might be bennificial for the lower quantity people.

But people who want the larger quantity, may get screwed.

I Plan to Stick Around

Not entirely true GDKitty.

Carriers will continue to offer packages to clients who desire that solution.

The people who have VIP and like having many channels will have the oportunity to continue VIP package subscriptions.

This pick and pay change will only offer additional choices for clients.

Seems like a win-win.  Pick and Pay with skinny basic is going to be positioned as an alternative to discontinued service for cable cutters.

EC