Pause function - Ignite tv

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Pause function - Ignite tv

Why is the pause function on Ignite TV so useless?

It lasts maybe 15 minutes at most and then cuts to live tv including turning the volume back on.  The Nextbox was much better.  The pause function lasted for at least 60 minutes.  Is there any way to switch back to Nextbox from Ignite tv?

***Added Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Pause function - Ignite tv

I wouldn't call 15 minutes useless. It is pause after all - most people would use it to go to the washroom, etc.  However, if you wish to "pause live TV" instead of using the pause button, simply hit the "record" button instead.  This will then record the entire programme and you can come back to it even if you're away for an hour or two, even if you expected to be away only a short time. 

If you're watching a recording, you can also hit the stop button and come back to your programme (albeit with a couple of button presses, although there may even be a voice option?). This probably has something to do with the (limited) resources at the cloud recording end, although you could always recommend that Rogers increases the pause time - perhaps they will in the next firmware iteration.

You cannot "go back" to Nextbox. The only thing you could do is cancel Ignite package and subscribe anew to Nextbox package.  I doubt that a 15 minute pause alone would cause that to be worthwhile, especially in light of the other features that Ignite brings to the table.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@1234444w43I never knew the Nextbox could pause a show for a whole hour before reverting to live TV. I have  a SA8300HD and I think it goes to live before 15 minutes, even on recordings. But I can't remember the last time I watched live TV except for the news and such.  If I pause a recording and don't know when I'll be back to finish watching, I'll just turn the box off and it will resume when I come back. I don't know how the Ignite TV cloud works, but I presume it would use a lot of resources for thousands of customers to pause programs for a long time.  So like @57 suggested, record it and go back to it later.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats my guess..

With the nextbox, when you were watching live TV, it was always 'recording' while watching live.. so was very easy to pause for longer periods, etc.

With these boxes, its not actually recording locally (well not at least in the same way?)  Normally when your watching something on ignite, its a STREAM.  So my guess is yeah you pause the stream, but its not actually recording anything locally, etc.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

since its an ip stream and there is no physical hard drive / pvr, its all cloud based, they are probably using some kind of memory buffer in addition to cloud buffer to pause live tv, since this is entirely new technology and differs from traditional pvr, it probably is in its infancy stages so the best they can do is give a 15 minute buffer.

im sure down the road with improvements to memory capacity and cloud computing they will eventually increase it

I'm Here A Lot

I called to switch back to digital tv and I was told there is no way to do that.  I need to give up my home phone number and email address.  This is how they trap you at Ignite tv, I guess.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes I wax told the same thingthat younwoud lose your num. But also asked about porting the number out to other IP telco. They said yes it can be ported out.

So there is your answer. ..port it out of Ignite, have them assign you a new number in ignite. then you can port it back in to rogers traditional offering.

In theory any way. 

I'm Here A Lot

I am going to switch everything I have over to Bell.  That's the only way out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

But also asked about porting the number out to other IP telco. They said yes it can be ported out. 

One should never ask or discuss porting a number out. You may lose it if you do.  One should discuss porting with the new provider who takes care of everything with the old provider.  Any mention of closing your dealings with your existing provider before porting the number could cause a loss of your phone number.

I would have thought that escallating your situation to retentions would have resulted in something being made possible though.

Topic Stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 Likes
  • 6 in conversation