PVR Repair service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: PVR Repair service?

ok so a bit of an update

i hooked my other which is the same model as the one thats not working and this box booted up, although it did take a bit

so far with live tv is ok but we'll see what happens when i start recording and watching recorded programs

second bit of info

with reference to one of the links posted i took apart the pvr that is not working to get to the hdd

while taking it apart i found out there is a fan on the side of the pvr, well i did not know there was a fan there and i had something right up next to the pvr blocking the fan, so its quite possible it overheated

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Heat is definitely a killer of electronics. They should always be placed so that they have a few inches around them for circulation. STBs and AVRs should always be placed "on top", so that they have adequate ventilation with nothing on top of them. 

I Plan to Stick Around

STB ? AVR ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hi, I scanned thru this entire thread looking for a solution or heck even a reference of a repair shop that will help to repair one of my parents non-functioning non-pvr set top box which happens to be standard definition but could not find any info anywhere in this thread about repair service, kind of ironic, no?

heres the short version of the story, we bought a standard definition STB longtime ago probably paid $25 dollars for it, which is a heck of a good deal since my parents did not want to pay monthly rental fees, they got their moneys worth, but one day the box was turning off on its own and it turns out the power supply built into the box is the likely culprit.

I know there a lot of talk in this thread about checking signal levels, etc, but what sort of advice for someone who simply wants to get the internal power supply fixed or replaced for an affordable price? i used to work in electronics and could possibly fix it but since i have very little free time and patience, and am a father with 2 young kids and work a lot, its almost impossible for me to even attempt this i would rather take it to a shop and pay someone even if i pay like $20 or $30 bucks to fix it, yeah its tough paying that cus that is the cost i paid to buy the box, i could easily buy a second hand stb for that price with no guarentees either, but we had that box for years and know its been taken care of properly and in good hands and rogers solution is not viable, they want to rent us a hd stb which will increase my parents monthly bill, they can not do this my dad is a senior and on a fixed income so this is not a solution that i want, i would rather pay $20 one time instead of a re-curring $20 every month for life of their cable bill, ya get what im saying?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Pauly : Here's a place that may do it, but probably not for the price you're looking to pay.  I doubt anyone touches electronics for less than around $40-$50 to start. That's why a lot of electronics end up being recycled, or worse still, in the landfill.  You're probably best looking for a good used box on Kijiji and you can probably get an HD one.  Good luck.

http://thecsi.com/contact/index.html

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Even if you find a repair shop willing to take a look at it, it will probably cost you $75 to $100 just to have them look at it for the first time, and that's just to determine whether or not they can fix it.  You might get lucky and find someone who will take an initial look at it for no cost, but I wouldn't count on it.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

true that. great advice. I definitely know electronics are not made like they used to be. my parents had a CRT Tube TV which lasted like 30+ years before it burnt out and was replaced. now a days modern electronics/TV's are designed to last a few years at best and break down and better off being recycled than fixed. I also firmly believe new cars are being designed like this too recently.

Your right I am better off removing the serial no of the faulty box from their account and going out and purchasing a used one for cheap and adding it to their account for the time being.

I've Been Around

Could you please tell me who in Scarborough you found to repair your Explorer 8642HD. Thanks
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@oxcart : Did you see the link in post 46?

Topic Stats