PVR Repair service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: PVR Repair service?

@Sprucetree18:

Thank you for your feedback. It's good to hear that you finally got the correct authorization.  I've never rented boxes in over 15 years and have had to go through this sort of issue several times.  A calm, firm discussion with second level, or a good first level CSR, will often get results where the "technicians" and first line CSRs have failed.

You're right, they seem to have little incentive to get a purchased box  working, but they need to remember you're a Rogers customer and paying for their TV service and may leave if you don't get a satisfactory resolution.  I find I usually have enough "leverage" with Rogers because I have a bundle of services with them and have had since 1988.

I've Been Here Awhile

Theoretically I too should have enough leverage with Rogers, as I have the premier cable package, movie bundle, superchannel, extra speciality HD channels, highest speed Internet they offer with no download cap, home phone, multiple iPhone plans, etc., etc., and like you, I too have been a Rogers customer now for over 25 years...  it's kind of crazy that they put the onus on the customer to call in every year (which I do) to ask for a loyalty discount, and whenever I do that it's about an hour-long ordeal on the phone with them, as they seemingly have the world's slowest in-house computer system that they use to get in and out of your account, check for available discounts and apply them, etc...

What I am really wondering now, though, is whether or not everyone else who has posted on this thread and elsewhere asking about (owned) PVR repairs, really needs PVR repairs at all.  The 'second-level' tech I spoke with informed me that these PVRs pretty much last indefinitely, and virtually never break down...  Like I said before, she told me I probably never needed to replace my hard drive in the first place... (!)...

At any rate, lesson learned, and thanks again for your help... !

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Although regular STBs and the "tuner portion" of PVRs do seem to last "forever" (I've never had one fail).  I have had to replace the iHDD on one of my heavily used SA8300HDs roughly every 4-5 years.  My 12- year old lightly used SA8300HD iHDD failed last year and I sold it to someone who used it as a STB and then even replaced the iHDD.

My 9865 just passed 3 years and I'm hoping that the iHDD on it does last a lot longer, but I would not be surprised if it failed sometime in the next couple of years.  Usually you can hear it start "clicking" before it fails and sometimes you'll have issues with the "index" of programming or playback.  If you catch it in time, you can even clone it and not lose your programming...

I've Been Here Awhile

Is it the same sequence to format the drive in a 9865HD (NextBox 3.0)?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mika2  Are you talking about post 5 of this thread - a factory reset?  The sequence is the same for any box using Navigatr firmware, like your 9865. Settings - scroll up one to Troubleshooting - Select Factory Reset.

This is not really like formatting a drive on a computer, but it does "erase" recordings, scheduled recordings and any settings/preferences like favourites you may have made, setting the PVR back to "factory" settings.

What is it you're trying to accomplish and why?  Additional information may help us help you.

I've Been Here Awhile

I installed a new hard drive in my 9865 and want to format it however my box is stuck in Pending. I thought it needed a new hard drive but that doesn’t seem to be solving the problem.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mika2 : The box is often not the issue (rarely it is though). If it were the iHDD, you would typically be able to boot the box and then not access your recordings.  Here's a post discussing signal issues in your home or neighbourhood, as they are most often the cause of issues:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

If your box will still not boot, sometimes you can get the box to boot by unplugging the power and the RF-coax cable. A little while after you plug in the box for power, then connect the RF-coax cable. This can sometimes get past some of the other issues.

PS. What is the make/model of the new iHDD?

I've Been Here Awhile

We have tried everything,  even plugging the coax that comes directly into the house from outside (without being split).  Rogers techs keep telling me it's the box but I think it's the signal. I can get to the diagnostics screens and the FDC level is showing at -29dBmV. The tuners are showing as 0.  The last tech told me it was a tuner problem with the box.  We have another 9865 that works fine (which is a rental). The one that doesn't work anymore is one we own. It started to slowly die (freezing, constant rebooting, etc.) right after we had finished renting.  I've heard this has happened to many and wonder if it's not a coincidence.

The iHDD is a Western Digital Blue 1TB - 7200 RPM SATA 6gB/S 64MB Cache 3.5 Inch. I read on another page of this forum that someone used this drive and it was fine. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That signal is definitely low.  Have you tried the other 9865 at the location where the "problem" 9865 is now?  What's the signal on that functioning/rental box at both locations?  Have you tried moving the problem 9865 as close as possible to the demarcation point in the home - without splitters etc, just temporarily to see if it functions there?  (after re-reading your post, it looks like you've done that - perhaps the signal there is actually too strong - try putting it at the location of the working box?).

As indicated in the link I provided earlier, Rogers techs often blame the box and swap it out if it's a rental. It's the easiest and fastest thing to do, but often doesn't cure the underlying problem.  When they find out you own it, they say it's your box and walk away...  It's sad, but your only option is to diagnose further and keep pushing, perhaps to second level technicians at the call centre.  They can usually check signals remotely, do "re-hits", etc.

Sometimes a signal issue can be a loose connection inside the box, but again, that's pretty rare and you should be able to troubleshoot/eliminate things by utilizing both boxes at different locations inside your home.

That drive should be fine.  I also own all my boxes - 3 PVRs and a STB and have encountered similar "it's your box" issues in the past.

I've Been Here Awhile

The rental works at all points and the owned box doesn't work at any.  The rental box signal is -2.9 with a SNR of 35.  Now when you say loose connection at which connection do you mean?

I have already talked to a second level tech and he said he couldn't even see the box in question. He wasn't getting any signal from it at his end.  If it's showing Pend doesn't that mean that he should it at his end? I'm so fed up of calling them. The second I tell them it's an owned box they tell me they can send a tech out to check signals for $49.

Any suggestions as to what I should specifically ask for when I call again? Another issue is I'm a female so they probably think I don't know anything and give me the run around, but I've done so much research on this I feel like I know more than them at this point.

Topic Stats