PVR Repair service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: PVR Repair service?

in order to check signal strength, does the box not have to be booted, running, operational ?
if the box wont boot, can you still check signal strength ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grumpy0282 : The box has to boot first.  Repetitive attempts can sometimes get it to boot. Also, if you can temporarily remove any upstream splitters to increase the signal, that may allow you to boot.

These boxes will usually boot, even with a bad iHDD.  If it doesn't boot, it's often (but not always) signal related, which may require a visit from a technician.

I Plan to Stick Around

i asked for a tech but they told me its the pvr and they wont send out a tech

if i get another box to boot that is the same model, would that indicate its a box issue and not a signal issue ?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grumpy0282 wrote:

1. i asked for a tech but they told me its the pvr and they wont send out a tech

2. if i get another box to boot that is the same model, would that indicate its a box issue and not a signal issue ?

1. Were they able to check the signal in your home/neighbourhood? Was it good (not borderline)?  They can do this remotely, no need for a tech visit.

2. Probably, assuming the identical location in the home and identical box.  Even then you can't be 100% certain, but it would be a good indicator.

I Plan to Stick Around

no, the last few times i called, they never mentioned doing a signal check

in the past for other issueswhen they have done checks and sais the signal was low and they sent a tech out, the tech checked it and 95% of the time the tech would say the signal is fine and the ppl at rogers dont know what they are talking about and the test they do is useless

this is back at other addresses when i was getting constant pixalating

thats another thing, if it is a bad signal, whouldnt i be getting a lot of pixalating? 

I Plan to Stick Around

oh and i only have 1 pvr hooked up, the other is an old SA sd non pvr box

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grumpy0282 wrote:

thats another thing, if it is a bad signal, whouldnt i be getting a lot of pixalating? 

Not usually. The NB3 usually just goes black or you run into problems like you're having.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hey @OLDYELLR @57

Quick question regarding the NB3. My sister has the box which was previously owned my me. She has been using it for about 2yrs. A week ago she got a update downloading and rebooted. The box went from Boot - CONN - PEND. Rebooting doesn't help and when we got a technician he didn't seem to interested to look at much. He checked the signal since we have 2 4K PVR boxes and a owned 8300 PVR which work just fine.

He told us the box is done and to get a new one. Do you guys know how to get out of the PEND or is the DNO?.

Thanks!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Meowmix :  Here is an old thread on the Pend issue.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-COnn-PEnd-and-download/m-p/416820#M45356

Unfortunately, the suggestion is still the same - it's rare that the box is the problem and it's very likely that it's a signal-related issue in your home or neighbourhood.  Unfortunately, many techs do not take the time to test things properly, preferring to swap boxes and get on their way.  If the box is owned, they usually just shrugg and leave.  (Not all techs are the same, but many work this way) Some suggestions are outlined in the link above.  Others are recent suggestions made by me in this thread, such as removing upstream splitters to increase signal.

Dogged determination and asking for "second level assistance" may also help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grumpy0282 : There is one other thing to try to get your NB3 to boot:

In order to get past a "boot problem", you can sometimes try disconnecting the RF-coax cable from the box when the box is also unplugged. Then plug in the box to power it up, wait for a minute and then reconnect the RF-coax.