PVR Repair service?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: PVR Repair service?

@Mika2 ; The loose connection I was referring to was a possible loose connection inside your problem 9865...  In that case you'd have to have it repaired, or sell it as a STB if it still functions that way.

You may want to try another approach.  The "Share a concern" link often has someone return a call within 24 hours perhaps getting someone useful and sympathetic to your situation.

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

Here's an older thread on a similar issue in case you haven't already seen it...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-COnn-PEnd-and-download/td-p/227738

Here's a user guide - have a look at page 18. Perhaps this will help a technician at Rogers.

https://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/td/docs/video/at_home/Set-Tops/8000_STTs/4031492_B.pdf

Edit - one more old link:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/NextBox-3-Cd99/m-p/170089#M13548

I've Been Here Awhile

It’s all so strange. A tech came out yesterday to look at our signals. She said everything was fine and the box was basically toast. She had no idea how to get into the diagnostic screen without using the remote control. I had to show her how to do it from the box using the power button. Anyhow a few hours after she left the box miraculously resurrected itself. Not sure what Rogers is doing but it for sure isn’t a problem with the box. I feel like they are totally controlling whether my owned box functions or not. It’s all a mystery.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

A signal issue can be intermittent and if you try to boot when the signal is poor, then it won't boot.

Sometimes Rogers can have a technician working on the issue at their head end and that can "force" a proper signal to get the box booted.  The technician who came may also have initiated that procedure.

What were the signal levels? - see the link below?

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/my-guide-amp-manage-my-pvr-missing/m-p/383665#M41913

PS. I do not believe that this is a conspiracy.  I have owned all my boxes for over 15 years.

I've Been Here Awhile

It’s just odd to me that they kept saying it’s not the signal and it’s my box. When it was obviously signal issues. When the box wasn’t functioning it was anywhere between -25 to -13 (in yellow) and now it’s -4.7 in white) with a SNR 37.8.

We have a second box that has always worked fine and never had an issue while the owned box was having issues.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Mika3 wrote:
It’s just odd to me that they kept saying it’s not the signal and it’s my box. When it was obviously signal issues. When the box wasn’t functioning it was anywhere between -25 to -13 (in yellow) and now it’s -4.7 in white) with a SNR 37.8.

We have a second box that has always worked fine and never had an issue while the owned box was having issues.

They said the exact same thing to my parents recently with their signal problems. My folks were told all 3 of their boxes are faulty and they need to rent or buy new ones at a price of so and so, which was expensive, my parents thought hard and long about this and currently own their equiptment and are retired on a fixed income, so renting is out of the question, then suddenly the boxes all started working again. what a crock of lies they were told

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am not as sure as lies... moreso LAZYNESS on the techs part.

most of them are not technically background'd, and are mostly going off a script, etc.

Takes a lot less work to tell them to swap the box than check the signal levels and troubleshoot Smiley Sad

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I think my pvr finally bit the dust

i started having problems months ago but i think its dead now

i will make this as short as possible, im not sure how much detail is actually needed

so the problem started with the box freezing, crashing and rebooting or needing to be rebooted mostly when watching recorded programs, however it happened occasionally with live tv too, ide say about 95/5 % split
this would happen once in a while leading to more frequent occurrences, last sunday it happened 3 tinmes

now im getting other issues

- recorded program will play back but no sound

- i can watch live tv but cant access the pvr

- last night is crashed while setting the pvr to record something

- it would record a 2 hr program but when i go to play it back, it recorded for 12 hrs

any way last night when it crashed, it was late anyway so i went to bed, when i woke up 7 hrs later, the box still said boot

i unplugged it to reboot it

display said boot

then said conn

then said pend

tv screen had a sisco boot screen for an update dated march 2013, i have had this screen once before a few months ago

now it says host download pending

cablecard download not triggered

the software on this unit must be updated (dont forget i got this screen a few months ago so it was updated then)

this upgrade will be performed when the network is available

i left it on for a few hours and nothing

a person at rogers told me to try again while they send a signal and i should check my connections

made no difference

i then tried a known working cable outlet and made no difference

so is there anything i can do ?

its a 3rd gen nextbox so not the current gen, the one before the most current

i own the box, no warranty

help

edit : one of the techs i talked a few weeks back thinks its the hdd, i tend to agree

i was thinking if there was a way to boot it and get it to format the hdd, hoping that might work but dont know how to do that or if it can be done

I'm a Senior Advisor

@grumpy0282 I don't know which PVR you have, so I cant tell you how to get into the diagnostics. However, that should show you if there is anything going bad with your hard drive. Also, it will show what your signal strength is, which could also ne the cause.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

nextbox 3, 3rd generation of boxes
pretty sure it was there at the bottom

its the box after the 2.0 box

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@grumpy0282  Here's a link to discussions regarding signal strength and also how to access diagnostics.  Signal can often be a source of issues, but obviously not always.  You could have a bad hard drive which can certainly happen after a few years.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

If you call Rogers, make sure you have them check the signal at this particular box (Nextbox 3) and also in your neighbourhood.  Simply checking another outlet in the home is not always conclusive as various boxes require different signal strengths, with the 9865/NB3 requiring the highest signal.

Here's a link for replacing the iHDD.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/211002-upgrade-replace-ihdd-986...

To do a factory reset of the 9865 (NB3), go to Settings, scroll up one to Troubleshooting and select Factory Reset.  This will erase all your recordings, settings, favourites, etc.