On Demand Shows Ending Before Completion

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

On Demand Shows Ending Before Completion

Recently, we’ve experienced at least 3 episodes of different Food Network shows ending before they are finished. As is, the show abruptly ends two thirds of the way through and we are kicked back to the start with only the option of watching it over again, not to resume where we left off.

This makes the experience terrible since we don’t know how the episodes ended. Is this a known issue? Has anyone else experienced it?

*** Added Labels ***

Re: On Demand Shows Ending Before Completion

Hello @Junebug1929,

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! =)

I can understand how utterly frustrating it must be trying to watch a program only to have it cut out before the program ended and missing the ending. I know I would definitely need the closure of seeing how it ended especially if its a show that I was really into.

We'll need to gather more information before we can properly diagnose this issue:

• When did you first notice this issue was happening?
  • Does this only seem to happen on shows on the Food Network or do shows on the other Networks also seem to be cutting off part-way through? 
  • Have you tried watching it through again only to have it cut off at the same point or have you not bothered to go through it again?

In order for us to find a solution for you, we'd like to attempt to replicate the issue on our end. Can you provide us with the affected programs and episode number as well as the approximate point you noticed it cut off?

We look forward to your response!

RogersTony

I've Been Here Awhile

We've had the same issue. It can be on any on demand show. 

And because the fast forward function doesn't work on most on demand shows, you have to watch the entire show again.

I stopped doing that and I end up having to search for the episode on youtube or something.

So frustrating!

I've Been Here Awhile

Dear RogersTony,

Thank you for your response to our question. Here is the info you requested:

1. We first experienced this issue about a month ago in early to mid March.

2. It has only happened while watching Food Network shows but that also is the main thing we watch on demand.

3. We have never tried watching the episode over again - too time consuming and we can often pick up what we missed in a subsequent episode recap.

The first time we remember it happening, we were watching Top Chef, Season 16, episode 9. It happened again last night during Spring Baking Championship, Season 5, episode 1. Both were HD versions. We may have had one other incident but we can’t remember which episode.

Hope this is helpful - thanks again.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IF its an overall issue with on demand.. it should be happening on every thing, not just particular channels parts, etc.

It is possible that something has happened signal wise there.. 
that the the line into the house has dropped, or a splitter has gone bad, etc.

On demand requires a really good signal for the two way communication.  

I've Been Around

This is happening to me too. Primarily when I watch Global station shows like New Amsterdam and FBI.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If someone goes back to watch the exact same OD programme and you get "kicked out" at exactly the same spot, then it's likely that the programme has not been properly/completely loaded onto the Rogers OD server. This has happened before for individual programmes, or sets of programmes...  It may even be the "fault" of the "broadcaster", for not providing the complete programme.  If this is the case, contact Rogers regarding the issue and see if they can reload the programming properly/completely:

http://www.rogers.com/consumer/contactus/share-a-concern

If you get kicked out at a different spot, then there could be signal or other issues...

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

I've Been Around

This happens all to often with shows on Global on Demand. It been going on for over 6 month now. Its to the point my wife is at me to cancel cable because we are now buys episodes from I tunes

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RJFLL : Since you seem to be paying for at least some of your programming, why not get a PVR and record the programming when it airs. This will also allow you to FF through the commercials unlike OD.  PVRs are also useful for all the other programming that can be time-shifted and watched without commercials.  

I can understand watching an OD programme if, for some reason, you missed one, however, it would not be something I would ever do regularly. I haven't watched commercials since the late 1970s when I purchased my first VCR.

Edit:  There are lots of used PVRs (9865) for sale on Kijiji and other sites for a bit more than $100.  Just be sure to call Rogers with the serial number before purchasing anything to ensure that Rogers will activate it. Many of these are rentals that have been stolen and Rogers will not activate those.  If the seller will not give you the S/N walk away.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@RJFLL wrote:

This happens all to often with shows on Global on Demand. It been going on for over 6 month now. Its to the point my wife is at me to cancel cable because we are now buys episodes from I tunes

I too have experienced problems with ROD. It's a lot worse than it was years ago. Very laborious going through page by page to find the show, inability to FF through commercials, crashes when ending. I always PVR my shows and even with the 2-tuner SA8300 I use time shifting. But I do miss the occasional show due to guide mixups and missing "new" flags. ROD used to be the savior in such cases, but I now find it quicker and less aggravation to get a torrent of the missed show and watch it on my smart TV.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario