On Demand - Aspect ratio - I need more info if I'm going to give you my money

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

On Demand - Aspect ratio - I need more info if I'm going to give you my money

Any chance Rogers could include some technical info on the movies they're offering besides the usual and misleading "HD" icon? Like maybe an aspect ratio icon?

I was just getting ready to view Mad Max: Fury Road for this first time because I missed it in the theatre...I was pumped and damp with exitement. Beer? check. Humpty Dumpty Party Mix? check. So I clicked on it, the screen lights up and.....full screen. In other words, the movie, which is a new release and supposedly a great action movie, was chopped to fit the screen. "What is this?" I thought.

This was my second experience (I think) with On Demand and unless some intelligent person at Rogers decides that informing payers what the movie will look like on their screen BEFORE they give you their money makes sense, I'm out. No more for me. 

What do you guys think? Am I a whiner or what?

***Edited Labels***

Re: On Demand - Aspect ratio - I need more info if I'm going to give you my money

Hello, @zortation

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

In my experience when you select the title of the movie, it lists all the technical information related to the title. So if I correctly understood you were not able to see the details related to the title you've selected?

@OLDYELLR - your input please, thank you.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: On Demand - Aspect ratio - I need more info if I'm going to give you my money

I only watch free stuff on RoD. Looking up Mad Max: Fury Road (HD), all it says is that it's HD.  When I select Watch Trailer I see it in wide screen, black bars top and bottom, nothing cropped as far as I can tell. If you don't know what you'll see, watch the trailer to see if its to your satisfaction. The only way I can see it cropped is using the # button on my remote to make it fit top to bottom and crop the sides.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I've Been Here Awhile

That's a good point about the trailer...trailer is in widescreen, and there are no indications that the movie itself will be any different, yet it is. It's like they're advertising one thing but I'm getting something less.

To the moderator: I hope this makes it more clear. You people have to fix this.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Which way is it cropped? the trailer I saw was wide screen 2.39:1 aspect ratio. That's not cropped, just black bars top and bottom because I have a 16:9 TV screen.  Was your trailer wide screen, but the movie itself not? The HD version was right at the end of the Mad Max list. I looked at a couple of other HD movie trailers and one was 2.39:1 (The Gift) and the other 16:9  (Get Hard). Maybe it depends on the original movie. I do have Mad Max Fury Road I've downloaded and it looks exactly the same as the trailer on RoD.

I have to add that I have a SA8300HD PVR and my RoD screen is a simple 4:3 SD screen, unlike the Nextbox 3.0, but the shows are HD when I watch them.

I've Been Here Awhile

It doesn't tell the customer what aspect ratio the movie will be. In this case even the trailer is in full widescreen "letterbox" format, but the movie was in 16:9. It was hd, but the image is obviously cropped to fit a full screen 16:9 tv.
I'm a Senior Advisor

@zortation I get it and you're right. Showing the trailer in wide screen when the movie will be cropped is false advertising. I just checked the other 2 movies I mentioned on imdb.com and they're as shown in the trailers, but I don't know what Rogers will actually show if you rent the movie.  Definitely something that needs to be fixed when for the price of 2 movies you can have Nexflix fot a month.

I've Been Here Awhile

Indeed.