Old Rogers 4250hd with borders on screen

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Old Rogers 4250hd with borders on screen

I have an old 4250hd box that I have hooked up to a old magnavox dvd recorder hooked up by TV cable to record shows (don't have enough cash to buy a next box of my own yet) and on both the TV cable and on the red/white/yellow cables from the recorder to the TV, there are bars on the top and bottom of the screen (the hdmi doesn't have these)...

Can I get these bars removed? They are squishing the picture.

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Old Rogers 4250hd with borders on screen

Most TVs have a variety of stretch modes. What is happening is that the image from the recorder is being "stretched", when what you need is "zoom" on the TV. You should be able to cycle through the various aspect modes on the TV to find the correct (zoom) mode.  Many TVs remember the aspect mode for each input so you should be able to have the correct one for the recorder and for the HDMI, but in case you don't, you'll need to remember to go to the correct aspect for each input.

If the picture quality is poor when you "zoom", then you may wish to go to the "normal" aspect to have bars all the way around the image, which would give you a sharper picture without "squishing".

I Plan to Stick Around

I also have the bars when the TV is set to ch3 for TV. I have the TV Cale running from the recorder to the TV so I can watch TV without having the recorder on. The recorder only seems to show its output through the red/white/yellow cables and not the TV cable.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, time for some questions, comments:

1. Do you have an HDTV?  What is the make/model?  I assume it's an HDTV since you mentioned HDMI.

2. If you're watching TV on channel 3, this is the worst possible connection with the poorest picture quality and is Standard Definition only.  You should be watching the 4250HD, which is an HD STB (set top box), with HDMI to your TV from the STB.  You can have the recorder off with this connection because the signal is going straight from the STB to the TV, assuming you switch to the correct (HDMI) input on the TV.

3. Although you can use a DVD recorder to record programming, you should be aware that this is also standard definition, not HD.  You should really get yourself an HDPVR because that's the only easy way to record/watch HD.

4. Did my earlier suggestion regarding using the proper stretch mode on your TV (aspect) get rid of the bars above and below the image from the DVD recorder?

5. Please realize that there are many reasons for bars above and below an image, sometimes even beside an image, and it's not always possible to get rid of the bars depending on what programming you're watching.  The proper stretch/zoom mode can usually minimize or eliminate the bars depending on what you're watching.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/30-57s-home-theatre-faqs/76089-faq-black-bars-why-do-i-still-have-th...

I Plan to Stick Around

[quote]
OK, time for some questions, comments:

1. Do you have an HDTV? What is the make/model? I assume it's an HDTV since you mentioned HDMI.
[/quote]
It's an Emerson 32 inch TV, model # ld280em4. I use the hdmi to toy with the Xbox ones TV feature. However it still has issues with the one guide and occasional stuttering.

[quote]
2. If you're watching TV on channel 3, this is the worst possible connection with the poorest picture quality and is Standard Definition only. You should be watching the 4250HD, which is an HD STB (set top box), with HDMI to your TV from the STB. You can have the recorder off with this connection because the signal is going straight from the STB to the TV, assuming you switch to the correct (HDMI) input on the TV.
[/quote]

There is only one hdmi on the TV, as well as a usb port and the red white and yellow ports and the port where the tv cable screws on.

I use the dvd recorder to record shows or sports I may miss if I am working or out, it is ancient however and I haven't seen any newer ones with better quality (though I haven't looked recently) . Especially since the nextbox was released.

[quote]
3. Although you can use a DVD recorder to record programming, you should be aware that this is also standard definition, not HD. You should really get yourself an HDPVR because that's the only easy way to record/watch HD.
[/quote]
HD is nice but not always necessary.
[quote]
4. Did my earlier suggestion regarding using the proper stretch mode on your TV (aspect) get rid of the bars above and below the image from the DVD recorder?
[/quote]

Not perfectly, and it's not just from the DVD recorder but the straight TV cable feed from the 4250hd as well.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for the information.

1. The model number you gave me is for a 28" TV, not 32, but perhaps the operating manuals are the same....  I downloaded the operating manual from here:

http://www.emersonaudiovideo.com/support/download.php

You may have a signal issue at your home if you're having guide/stuttering. Call Rogers and have them check your signal - they can do this remotely.

2. DVD recorders are all SD quality. The only way you're going to see a better picture is if you get the Rogers PVR (Nextbox 2, 8642 or Nextbox 3, 9865) to record HD.  You could purchase an HDMI switch to feed the XBox and the 4250HD to the TV's single HDMI input. Some of these switches are manual and some come with a remote. That way you'd be watching HD from the 4250HD, which you are not currently.  With such a small TV, there may not be a huge difference, but it should be noticeable. You could experiment by hooking the 4250HD to the TV via HDMI and tune to an HD channel (one in the 500s.  If it's easy to swap the HDMI cable between the 4250HD and the XBox, you could do without an HDMI switch, but it would wear out the ports if you do it a lot.  Plus, it's a bit of a pain.

3. Understood, especially on such a small TV...  How far are you sitting from the TV?

4. On page 20 of the operating manual for the TV the various picture formats are discussed.  Repeatedly pressing the picture size button should cycle you through the various formats and you should be able to minimize the squishing or bars.  That button is just above and to the right of the up arrow on the TV remote - near the bottom right of the TV remote.  Do not utilize the #/Zoom button on the Rogers remote.

If you connect the 4250HD via HDMI, then you shouldn't have to zoom for the HD channels when they're showing HD programming most of the time and you should have good picture quality.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the reply, the stuttering was on the Xbox side of things... Doesn't happen on the Rogers box itself.

As for the TV, I was mistaken, it's a 28" with built in dvd player.

I am about 8 feet away from the TV.

I shouldn't need a switch as my surround system has hdmi pass thru but it's only 720p, I can't tell the difference anyways, it was also a hand me down along with the cable box and recorder, so can't go wrong with free.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

At 8' from a 28" TV, I can understand why you've been satisfied with SD, DVD recorder, etc.  Still, it's probably worthwhile to use HDMI from the 4250HD if possible, because then you shouldn't have any black bars on (most) HD Channels & programming.  Since your TV is 768P, going through your surround sound shouldn't be an issue... 

I hope I've been of assistance with the black bars and squished people issue.

Agree, free is good.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Some points to mention, The reason you do not see black bars on your emmerson TV and do on the DVD recorder is because it has an aspect ratio of 16x9 (I googled the model # to confirm). Just so everybody knows, almost ALL consumer DVD recording devices are not only standard definition but they are desgined to accept a 4x3 aspect ratio picture.   I used a 4250 rogers box when I lived with my parents and did indeed notice when it was connected via the composite outputs (yellow/red/white) it would downconvert what ever was on the main tv and add black bars to the top and bottom TO MAINTAIN THE SAME ASPECT RATIO.  If there is a way of forcing the rogers cable box of outputting anamorphic, so it squeezes the widescreen picture into a 4x3 frame but I have not figured out how to do this (I know my bell satellite receiver does this though)  but you also need to know if your recorder will embed the widescreen flag otherwise chances are it wont and will still display as 4x3 aspect ratio thus forcing black bars on the top and bottom of the picture.