Nextbox3.0 freezing on playback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox3.0 freezing on playback

I assume this is the same drive from the malfunctioning Nextbox.  If so, then there are 2 reasons:

1. This will determine if the drive is useable or not, i.e. if Win 10 formats it, it is a useful, functioning drive.  If Windows fails to format it, it is no good at all.  You can install a new drive to salvage your Nextbox.
  2. All recordings, format, etc. will be overwritten and formatted for use by Windows.  When reinstalled in your Nextbox, it will be recognized as if it is a new drive, Nextbox will then format it as such and, from that point onward, should be good to use as normal.

Be patient and good luck.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

57, I've been having problems with my nextbox freezing on all channels and can be seen happening when I play back recordings.

I've talked with tech and they said I had some signal problems so they sent a tech out. 

When he arrived he changed out some connectors at the pedestal and the connectors and the box attached to my house. He said the signal was quite improved and this was confirmed by the tech on Rogers messenger.

Shortly after it started freezing again , and I mean in hours of the tech being out.

They wanted me to check the box out by taking it to another line in our bedroom to see if it happens on that line, but due to my physical limitations this was a hard ask. Also it would mean remaining in that room awaiting the freeze up which would've probably be hours.

They also suggested picking up a rental box and trying it, once again between my having to get up and down off the floor, it makes that hard plus ive got medical issues that with this virus I'm afraid to go out. Yes I know, tiny violins playing in the background.

I opted to do a factory reset, which did nothing in the long run. I also tried your suggestion of pausing live tv and then unpause and it didn't come back live. I also changed from 1080p to 1080i as was also suggested. Went good for a while then started freezing again.

The freezing could last from 1 minute up to 10 minutes, and some days happen 5 to 10 times to happening maybe once.

I was wondering if it could be the HD, it's not making any noise but just wanting to try if there is any possibility.

I'm asking you this as I'm not getting any other help from Rogers other than what the tech wanted me to do as mentioned above, and I've seen your advice in many other things that had been very helpful to me in the past.

I have many hds that would work in this if it's an option.

Thank you for any suggestions.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gordow wrote:

I was wondering if it could be the HD, it's not making any noise but just wanting to try if there is any possibility.

I have many hds that would work in this if it's an option.

1. If it freezes when watching live TV, then it's not the iHDD.

2. Since you did a factory reset, if you believe it's the iHDD, then you could swap it out since you've no programming to lose. However, make sure it's a drive intended for PVR use like a WD Black or Blue or better yet Purple.   See the following thread.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/threads/upgrade-or-replace-the-ihdd-on-9865-nextbox-3-0.211002/

3. If you have another PVR, move it to the location of the freezing PVR and see if it freezes there?

Sorry about your medical issues, but that's something you'll have to address, perhaps with assistance with a friend or family member.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Well I did the swap , moved the box to different cables, still freezing, some days more times sometimes just a few.
There was a p
Powered splitter put on the lines by a tech a few years ago, this is the only thing I can't check myself to see if it's causing any problems.

If I own this box am I just stuck with it??

I don't think I can afford to go to ignite on my disability pension.

Highlighted

Hey @gordow!

Thanks for providing an update to your situation! So sorry to hear that the problem appears to be with the box itself, I'm sure that is pretty disappointing. Regretfully, if you own the box, the only thing you can do is request a rental to replace it at this time. 

Kind regards,

RogersLaura

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I recently reset my nextbox to factory settings, about 3 weeks ago, and my box is always off in the morning. 

Before the reset id leave the box on all the time and it would still be on in the morning.

I realize that the updates usually come through overnight, but 3 weeks of updates??

Is there anyway to see what version my box has and whether it requires it to be updated every night?

Highlighted

Hello, @gordow.

Thank you for your post. You can check the software version by navigating to Settings > Troubleshooting > System Information.

Let us know the model and software version of your Nextbox so we can confirm the latest software version for your model. 

Regards,
RogersMoin