Nextbox3.0 freezing on playback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Tbutters41
I've Been Around

Re: Nextbox3.0 freezing on playback

I get the same thing. It usually happens when I’m a week late with a payment. The “customer service” people deny this, but the correlation to too pronounced not too be a factor.

I too may be taking my $700/month 3 phones, unlimited internet, and four TV boxes back to Bell.

Avid-
I Plan to Stick Around

As noted in my original posting, IT WAS THE BOX!  I followed all of the suggested fixes, including Rogers" technicians attending on-site three times where they replaced cable terminations, amplifier/splitter, and the main feed-in cable from their distribution line.  The problem persisted.

After all of that, I removed the hard drive from the offending box and reformatted it using an adaptor (about $20) and Windows 10.  This ultimately concluded in the same problem - play-back freeze.

My final resort was to take the hard drive from an old original Nextbox (1.0, owned not rented), format it under Win10 and install it in the Nextbox 3.0.  Problem was resolved and is working A-OK as of this posting.  😊😃

Summary:  replace the hard drive in the box.

Mike R.

London, ON

OttawaHere
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi ,

In the last few weeks my Nextbox 3 has been freezing ( picture frozen/stuck  and can't turn off box or change channels) If I leave it alone it will sometimes re-start playing but at the current time.

My question is .... Is my box failing or is it a network thing because of extra use?

(i have un-pluged / plugged in to restart when it seems not to start within 5 minutes)

Thanks for any advice

Mark

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Have you checked the signal after the box has rebooted?  Have you called Rogers to check the signal at your box or in your neighbourhood.  I assume this is happening on "live" channels, not recordings.  Here's a link on the topic of signal.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

OttawaHere
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you for your advice / suggestions. Yes it's on live tv.
I will check my connections as soon as I can.
I don't think my TV is important enough to have a technician in my home. However if it was a signal issue could they do ''something'' remotely ?
Thank you
M

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@OttawaHere wrote:

1. I will check my connections as soon as I can.
2. if it was a signal issue could they do ''something'' remotely ?

1. You can also check the signal yourself at the NB3 using the link I provided in my previous post.  Try a few different channels, especially channels that are not watched so much like say TCM-HD, PBS- HD or CBCNNHD, etc.

Here are the steps that usually take place:

2. You call (or chat with) Rogers and they check the signal remotely.  If they cannot isolate the signal issue to an "outside the home" problem, then they usually need to send someone to the home first to see if the issue is there (inside technician).

3. If the signal problem is traced to an issue outside the home - say a poor signal at the node or neighbourhood, then they may send an outside technician to take care of the problem.

Click Technical Support and go from there:  https://www.rogers.com/consumer/support/contactus

OttawaHere
I Plan to Stick Around

First ...thank you 57.
The freezing problem has vanished but I think I know why.
I live in a townhouse which I was told was three units away from the Rogers junction box. My new neighbour left to self isolate elsewhere and the problem left too. I think she was streaming a lot. Could that have been the issue ?
I'm not contacting Rogers until corona has at least calmed down somewhat ( or my neighbour returns)

Thank you again

RogersCorey

Greetings @OttawaHere!

That's actually really interesting that your connection cleared up after just that one neighbour left. "Streaming a lot" would be a dramatic understatement if your connection has improved tremendously after she stopped using hers.

In a situation like this, she may well be abusing her connection which is causing the entire area to degrade. I've seen it before. I'd like to start an investigation based on this information so that we can review the usage in the area to ensure there isn't any single connection using more bandwidth than they reasonably should.

Please PM us @CommunityHelps so we can get started. If you're not familiar with our PMing process, you can find instructions here.

Regards,

RogersCorey

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RogersCorey wrote:

Greetings @OttawaHere!

That's actually really interesting that your connection cleared up after just that one neighbour left. "Streaming a lot" would be a dramatic understatement if your connection has improved tremendously after she stopped using hers.

In a situation like this, she may well be abusing her connection which is causing the entire area to degrade. I've seen it before. I'd like to start an investigation based on this information so that we can review the usage in the area to ensure there isn't any single connection using more bandwidth than they reasonably should.

Could you please explain exactly what that would be? If a customer has unlimited internet, how can they be using "too much". 

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
RogersCorey

Greetings @OLDYELLR!

There are many ways a user may potentially interfere with our network operations that could impact other users. The pertinent part of our Acceptable Use Policy is detailed as such:

Prohibited Activities Without limitation, you may not use (or allow anyone else to use) our Services to:

xii. restrict, inhibit or interfere with the ability of any person to access, use or enjoy the Internet, the Services or any Equipment used to connect to the Services, or create an unusually large burden on our networks or third party networks for which we have roaming or network sharing agreements, including, without limitation, posting, uploading, transmitting or otherwise making available information or software containing a virus, lock, key, bomb, worm, Trojan horse or other harmful, limiting, destructive or debilitating feature, distributing mass or unsolicited e-mail (“spam”) or other messages, or otherwise generating levels of traffic sufficient to impede others’ ability to send or retrieve information, or to use the Services in an abusive manner in connection with any unlimited packages, options or promotions;

Regards,

RogersCorey