Nextbox3.0 freezing on playback

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Nextbox3.0 freezing on playback

I own a nextbox 3.0 pvr. I was told to swap it out for a new one about a month ago because it was freezing during playback. They gave me a refurbished one that worked at first but now is doing the same thing. I spent over two hours on phone today with tech support, then loyalty, then a manager. At first they wanted me to swap out the box again. I have a brand new 4k smart tv and Onkyo a/v receiver surround system that the good people from Onkyo helped me to set up and calibrate. I told folks at Rogers that it did not make sense to keep swapping out boxes, getting refurbished replacements and having the same problem happen again—too frustrating. Looks like I will have to try a Rogers 4k pvr on rental since they do no sell them anymore and see how that goes. If it doesn’t work any better, I will be switching everything except my cell phone from Rogers to Bell and getting Bell fine and a free whole home pvr instead of paying monthly rental to Rogers. Rogers is reluctant to admit that the nextbox 3.0 has major flaws and is offering me no real incentive to keep on using them after I have been a loyal customer for 30 years. I thought they might at least give me a break on the 4k pvr, but no such luck—so much for their loyalty department.

**Added Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox3.0 freezing on playback

Often such issues are a result of a poor signal to your home or neighbourhood. Please see the following post on the topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

As you have noted, it's usually not worthwhile replacing the box numerous times if the issue is actually somewhere else. Give Rogers a call and have them check the signal at your home and neighbourhood and you can even check the signal yourself using the link I provided.

I Plan to Stick Around

My nextbox 3 routinely freezes during playback.  I get this image / message in the lower right corner of the TV screen.  Any idea what it means

45F1855F-E4FB-4B90-97FD-D680C290BE1F.jpeg

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yep, that's a strange one. You would usually see how many minutes are remaining in the programme there - something like -15 for minutes.  It's possible you have reached the end of a recording that didn't record the entire programme?  Is the red record light on, on the front display?  Do you have a "runaway recording?"  Is this for "pause live TV" or for watching a programme that has finished recording?

Have you gone into your list to see how many percent of your hard drive you've used up?  What does that say?  Have you checked the signal per my previous post (2 posts up)?

I've Been Here Awhile

IT IS THE BOX, IT IS NOT THE SIGNAL!

I have 2 Nextbox 3.0 PVRs.  Both work perfectly while watching cable programming.  One freezes up during recorded program playback and the other one plays recorded shows perfectly.  The problem with the bad box started recently, since about March 2019 and is now happening more and more frequently.

After reading post in this thread and others, I am absolutely convinced it is a box problem.  I am reluctant to restore to factory settings since I will lose many of my favorite programs that I have yet to watch.

If there are any solutions, I am quite eager to know.  This is time sensitive since I am running out of hair to pull out! 😞

Mike R. 

London, ON

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Avid- It certainly could be one of the boxes has a hard drive problem, however, it's often the signal.  Here are a few things to try.

1. Try swapping the location of the boxes to see if the problem follows the box (then it's the box) or stays in the same location (then it's a signal issue).

2. Try doing "pause live TV" to see if the recording instantly goes "bad" as compared to watching "live".

3. Check the signal at the boxes on various channels - different home locations can have different signals. See the following post on that topic:

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M42...

4. If you can conclusively prove that the box is the problem (hard drive) you can replace the iHDD, however, you'd lose the recordings on it.  You could try a factory reset first.  See link below:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/211002-upgrade-replace-ihdd-98...