Nextbox

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox

Since you can't buy a VCR with a built in tuner ( when u do, they won't ship to Canada or it's too expensive) so I have been checking out the Nextbox.  I don't have a HD tv so will this work on a regular flat screen tv.  My flat screen is only 2 years old so I don't want to have to buy a new HD TV.   I need something that will record programs.  I don't know if I can hook up the VCR to the digital box like I do with the digital adapter.  I don't want to call Rogers to find out any of this because I hate waiting on hold & there's no email address at Rogers to send an email to find out what I can do that's not going to cost a lot of money. 

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: RE:Netbox

OK.. lets start at the easiest thing.

Can you use a VCR to the box like with the Digital Adapter?
Yes, you can... as long as you only get the Nextbox 2.. It has more older style connectors on it, vs the NB3.
(the NB3 for instance doesnt have a cable out.. only video out)

But you will run into the same restrictions.. that you can only record, whatever you have manually tuned to via the remote.. no channel scheduling via the VCR tuner, etc.

Even with a flatscreen, some of them will allow HD to an extent.

What model TV do you have?  I can take a peek at the specs for it, and then see what connectors you have.

If you are getting one of these boxes.. they support HD.. if your TV can even do a lower form of HD, may as well do it, and get the quality over SD.

I Plan to Stick Around

a non HD flat screen that's only 2 years old? I didn't know such a thing existed!  Sorry, I have nothing to add that will help you.

I'm a Senior Advisor

@Sunbird wrote:

Since you can't buy a VCR with a built in tuner ( when u do, they won't ship to Canada or it's too expensive) so I have been checking out the Netbox.  I don't have a HD tv so will this work on a regular flat screen tv.  My flat screen is only 2 years old so I don't want to have to buy a new HD TV.   I need something that will record programs.  I don't know if I can hook up the VCR to the digital box like I do with the digital adapter.  I don't want to call Rogers to find out any of this because I hate waiting on hold & there's no email address at Rogers to send an email to find out what I can do that's not going to cost a lot of money. 

VCRs are hard to find anymore, but you can probably pick one up for next to nothing at a pawn shop or garage sale. The built in tuner will only tune the few remaining analog channels on basic cable, but you just need Channel 3 and a free digital adapter from Rogers. The digital adapter instructions even show you how to hook up a VCR. What you can't do anymore, though, is watch one channel while recording another.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

Most of the VCR's don't have the built in tuner.  The TV & VCR is hooked up with the digital adapter. And of course you can't tape & watch another channel unless u remove the DA but if u do that there a very few stations left.  When I'm in the mood to stay on hold I'll just call Rogers to find out if I can use the nextbox without the TV being HD.  When u look at the list of stations some have non HD & a specific channel labeled HD.  Thanks for your help.

I Plan to Stick Around

I looked for the leaflet that came with the TV and what does it say on the leaflet "Your New BRAVIA LCD HDTV" .  Well don't I feel stupid.  I had a HDTV all along and didn't know it. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

MOST stations, have an SD feed.. not all, but most of at least the standard 1-100 range ones.

Again.. are you able to tell us the MODEL of the TV you have?

I just got rid of an about 10 year old CRT TV... which had a COMPONENT video input.

LIKELY i would think, even if your TV does not have an HDMI on it.. it is likely that it will have this connection.
Component can carry a full HD 1080p signal depending on the device...
So you likely could connect the rogers box to the TV via that.

(well.. with that.. you would get the banding.. top and bottom for the HD signal.. IF the TV is not in the WIDE format)

The nextbox 2, again has standard definition outputs for composite (single rca connection) and a cable connection.

I Plan to Stick Around

It's a Sony BRAVIA Digital Color TV.  I looked for the leaflet so I could tell you the model number there are diagrams on how to hook up your HD cable box or HD satelite receiver.  It also says my tv is equiped with multiple HDM! imputs.  Well don't I feel stupid!    It says Your New BRAVIA LCD HDTV.  So it turns out I have had a HDTV & didn't know it.  So I guess I can call Rogers to find out how much it will cost me to rent the Netbox now that I know I have a HDTV.  

I Plan to Stick Around

Turns out my tv is HD.  It says in the leaflet that came with the TV I would have to call my cable company to upgrade my service to HD.  I didn't do that so that's probably why I didn't notice any difference in picture quality so I just assumed it was regular definition not HD. 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Sunbird, what kind of cable box do you have? Is is capable of HD? The free digital adapter isn't.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario