Nextbox sound distortion problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox sound distortion problem

Ok,if the 8642 is a garbage cable box what box should I replace it with if I decide to return it?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello adm

It all comes down to the person. I have never had issues with the NextBox 3.0. Its not slow or anything for me. Again this all depends on the person and box they get. Some are defected and some are lemons.
I Plan to Stick Around

Is the 9865 box the same as the Nextbox 3.0 or are they two different box's?

Does Rogers charge a higher rental fee for the 9865 vs 8642?

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello adm

The Nexbox 3.0 is the 9865 box. The model number is 9865 & Rogers just calls it Rogers NextBox 3.0. ( They like to change the names.) Remember tho, the NextBox 2.0 ( 8642 has been discontinued by Rogers so if you do exchange it, you may not find it at the stores.)

Yes it does but its a small one. Here is the info for you to see.

Rent for $25.07/month2
OR
Purchase (502.49)2
OR
Rent To Own $17.59/month2 info Option to own for $1 after 36 months3

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=cable_hardware_page
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just to compare to what the fees are on the NB2.

Rent: $24.99

or

Purchase (499 i THINK, its not listed anymore)

or

Rent to own $14.99

Depending on if you are in a specific package, etc.. it MIGHT include it.. if not, it may include up to the price of the 8642.. so all you would have to pay is the difference, etc.  There is a price difference, as it is a much more powerful box... 2x the storage of the highest drive 8642, and the 8 tuners.

You can try to argue with retentions, etc to see if you can get it fully covered, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

After looking at that link I'm wondering if the Nextbox HD Terminal is a better option as I'm never going to use all the Nextbox 3.0 features.

Don't know if I would get the same amount of channels.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello adm

Remember, the HD Terminal does NOT have the recording option has it does not have the HDD in it or feature. Its a normal box which just gives u HD picture.

All boxes will give u the same amount of channels.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Everything greater than the DTA (which is not listed on that page... its the most BASIC box.. non HD, and no guide even), will give you the full set of channels.  (in SD for the SD box, HD for the HD boxes).

As Meowmix said, the NB2 PVR and the NB3 PVR are the only two which allow recording. 

For the few $ difference, the NB3 is a night and day difference quality wise.

(and this is just for informational.. not sure HOW Much you are going to record, etc..  HD programming takes up ALOT more space.. on average you get 120h of recording on 1tb.. so depending on what size drive NB2 you have, etc.. may only get up to 40)

I Plan to Stick Around

Went for a walk today and came upon a Rogers tech sitting in his truck.

Explained the issue and he thought it was more likely an issue with the TV rather than the 8642 box or HDMI cable

Went online and sure enough Toshiba Regza TV's have a very well known sound distortion problem when using the HDMI connection.

I've Been Around

I have a Toshiba Regza 42" and I'm having the sound distortions mentioned previously. I've experienced it with my PS3 too but very seldom. When using my nextbox it happens much more often and frustrating. I don't think it's an issue with cable. Maybe the TV? My TV is from 2009 so maybe needs updated software.