Nextbox sound distortion problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox sound distortion problem

I have a Nextbox 8642 box and after the TV has been on for approximately 4hrs the sound gets distorted and I have to turn the TV off and turn it back on the restore the sound back to normal.

It did this with the previous 8642 box and now with the new exchanged 8642 box that is about a month old.

This never happened when the TV was connected directly to the cable and then with the digital adapter,so it has to be the Nextbox,imo.

It is now doing this every night and is frustrating.

No other issues except the sound distortion.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

I doubt I'm the only one.

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox sound distortion problem

While i am now on the 9865..  i was on the 8642 for its whole life pretty much with both the old guide and the new guide, and dont remember seeing that issue crop up myself or on here.
(thats not to say, a newer current update on it since i dont have the box anymore, could have caused it)

That you are having it on more than one box.. its not likely specific one hardware/bad box..

I could see it as something like it overheating over time being on, etc... but to do that two boxes in a row..

how are you connecting it to the TV? (what type of cable, etc).
Do you notice it on anything else? (dvd/bluray?... though you might not run that quite as long on one of those)

I Plan to Stick Around

How is it connected to the TV.

The cable line coming into the house and connected to the box is Rogers supplied cable and the HDMI cable from the box to the TV was supplied by Rogers.

No idea how good the quality of the Rogers HDMI cable is.

I only use the TV.

No DVD/blueray or anything else.

TV is a Toshiba Regza big screen,can't remember the exact size,maybe 47-48".

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

if you have another HDMI cable.. give it a try.

Truthfully.. the rogers hdmi cables are garbage.. i have had 3, and none of them have even worked period Smiley Tongue

I Plan to Stick Around

I don't have another HDMI cable to try.

Do you think that could cause the sound distortion problem even though everything else works perfect?(I don't know)

What's a good brand of HDMI cable to purchase at a reasonable price?

I'm willing to purchase a new HDMI cable if the Rogers cables are junk.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I have used just about everything from a monster cable to a no name one from Canada computers etc and all have worked.
Vs I have plugged the Rogers ones in and had nothing, swapped to one of them and it be fine.

Just trying to eliminate stuff. Quite possibly could be a software bug... But haven't heard any other complaints of it (and I also watch a few other boards like digitalhome.ca, etc and no one there either saying about it)

I Plan to Stick Around

If the Rogers HDMI supplied cables are junk I'm wondering if their Nextbox's are also junk.

Girl at the Rogers store said a lot of people were returning Nextbox's when we returned it for a new one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

the 8642, with the current software.. is SLOW.. slow to respond, etc.  So likely yes alot are probably returning them.

There are a few bugs with the NEW nextbox 3.0.. but all in all a MUCH better box than the 8642.. lightning fast.

Minus one or two reboots needed (which i have had/done on just about every box with every company), i havent had any issues yet with the nextbox3.

As with anything.. it comes to the quality of the product made.  the 8642 is ok hardware.. the software is to much for it though to run properly.
As for the cable.. probably cheap ones bought from china or something Smiley Tongue  Up until recently they DIDNT even supply the HDMI, and only gave component.

I Plan to Stick Around

Slow in what way?

I don't find it slow but I only use it for watching TV and nothing else currently.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello adm

It all depends on the person.  Thousands even me have complained that the 8642 was a garbage cable box and has had so many issues.  The 8642 has been so slow and many issues since the release and when the new update came out. Slow with recording, slow when changing channels, box reboots and has its issues. I owned this and i for one will never got back to that box.