Nextbox sound distortion problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Nextbox sound distortion problem

You are lucky your sound only gets distorted after 4 hours.... mine distorts after 1 hour exactly.... all started when I got new nextbox as old one fried....
I believe HDMI cable .... I did contact Rogers and they told me it was my TV and nothing to do with their services....
It's so annoying shutting TV off snd then back on again every single hour.... I have timed it and it's 60 minutes exact until.distortion begins....
Please update me with any new info if you have....
I'm an Advisor

Hello @Greenfather & @Delta69,

It is possible to test with another HDMI cable, or with a component video (red/green/blue + red/white audio) cables? My 8642 came with component audio/video cables in the box.

I'm a Regular

I just recently got a new Netbox system.   Since I did I have noticed two problems, very specific problems.

First when watching Jimmy Fallon I can hear perfectly except for when they show a clip of someone's show or something...the sound is almost non-existent...it is very very faint.

Second, when watching football games, about 90% of the games I can hear perfectly except when the ref is giving a ruling on the field or explaining a penalty.

I have talked to friends and they do not have the problem with either of these so it's not a problem with the game or network, which seems to indicate the problem is on my end somehow. 

Does anyone have any idea what setting I need to adjust or change to fix this???

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rye_encoke:

I assume you've got an AVR (Audio Video Receiver) and not simply a TV.  First thing to check is to ensure that all the speakers are enabled. Often there's a button or menu item which can turn off the LF & RF speakers, which someone in your home may have activated.  Also, make sure you've enabled the correct audio decoding - say Dolby Pro Logic, or similar.

Make sure the NextBox audio options are set up properly depending on your connections and capability of your AVR.  You didn't indicate any of your other equipment or how this equipment is connected.  If the above hint regarding the speakers being turned off doesn't help, please provide a detailed description of your system.

I'm a Regular

Okay....so during the football game I began to play with settings on the netbox as well as on my tv.  Was brutal because I would change one setting and then have to wait for the referee to call the penalty before I would know if it worked.  After trying about six different things, I had moved to changing settings on my tv...the second try I turned off surround sound....and wow...it worked.  I couldn't believe it, I waited for the ref to talk again and I could hear him.

I have no idea why surround sound was on, I am not even sure I completely understand what it does.  But turning it off I can now hear the refs, and checked my pvr of jimmy fallon last night and I can hear the clips that he plays.  So I am pretty sure I have "fixed" it. 

I was amazed at the different options on the netbox for audio...audio range baffles me, normal, narrow and wide.  But once I had the main problem fixed I just put the others to whatever seemed to work for me.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rye_encoke:

Glad it worked. For TVs I suggest you use the "Narrow" setting as this will perhaps be a bit louder and there is not as much difference between the loudest audio and the quietest audio.  Someone with an AVR would likely select Normal or Wide.

As far as the TV setting, surround sound might be a setting that's used if you utilize external speakers or an AVR fed from the TV...  It's probably outlined in the operating manual for your TV.  You could download the TV's operating manual from the manufacture's website and do a search of the pdf for "surround".

I always download the operating manuals for any electronics I purchase and put them in an "operating manual" file on my computer. That way I don't need to find the paper manual and it's a lot easier for searches.