Nextbox randomly restarts

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox randomly restarts

Not really sure how best to describe it. When we watch TV every few minutes the screen turns black like the nextbox is turning off and on, but it resumes on the channel I was watching not channel 1 like it does if I manually turn the box on and off. The black screen lasts between 1 and 2 seconds.

Not sure if this is related but the day before a program I was recording wouldn't stop, even when I turned off the power. I had to unplug the box to reset it and stop the recording, but that's when the problem started.

Not sure if anyone has seen this problem before.

***Edited Labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox randomly restarts

Watch the box when this happens.  Check to see if the power light is turning off/on or staying on.

My GUESS, from the sounds of it.. its more a DISPLAY issue.. something with the output/cord/tv input.

Could try a few things.
- Change HDMI Ports on the TV.
- Swap HDMI cables

If it persists past that.. my guess would be that something has gond flakey on the HDMI port on the box itself 😞

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, you're right. The power light isn't turning off and on. I just find it weird that this has happened all of a sudden right after another issue. I'll try your suggestions when I get home tonight and see if that helps. If not, is this an issue that Rogers will replace my box for, do you think?

I'm an Advisor

I'm with @Gdkitty on this one - sounds like a bad port or cable.

I had the same issue with my computer to monitor recently - using another HDMI cable solved the problem.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, if the box is flakey.. they will swap the box for you.

FIRST thing i would try is the cabe.. especially if you are using the one that was supplied to you from rogers.  I have had problems with two of them so far... dont really trust the quality.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @Keroberous,

As @Gdkitty and @robindp suggested, the intermittent black screen issue can very well be caused by a bad HDMI cable or a bad HDMI port on the box. I've also seen an issue where customers have the box set up in such a way that they had connected the HDMI cable from the box into a home theatre unit, and then the home theatre directly into the TV. This can also cause an issue like this. The HDMI cable should go directly from the box to the TV. Best option as suggested would be to try and switch HDMI ports on the TV, or try a different HDMI cable to test and see if it fixes the issue. If not, you can always swap the box at a Rogers retail location or have a technician booked to swap the box which can take a few days depending on technician availability and how booked the calendar is. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam