Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Re: Nextbox problem

Did you ever get a reply or answer to your problem? The same thing happened to me yesterday and the Rogers tech had no resolution or idea why it happened.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

It definitely has something to do with the black glass on the stand. Works fine when the lights are or during the day, only when it's dark does it react this way, and only the channels go wild, nothing else.

Sad to see this happen with all the technology afforded to us in this world. And the price we pay for it.

Thank you for the help! Very appreciated. Time to decide what to do with this box now...

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I mentioned this device in another thread http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B005W8VAQ8/ref=aw_d_detail?pd=1
It will allow you put the box anywhere but it will also most likely fix your current problem. We use them all the time in our installs. The only tricky part is attaching the IR repeater to the right spot on the box and attaching it the right way. The sensor for the remote is usually just to the left of the display on the box. Once you find it, take the IR blaster and tape it to it with the white tape on the back of the blaster facing
you. Lastly, in your case, make sure that the UFO looking base is hidden. It too has IR blasters in it. If you put it in front of the Rogers box it might give you the same problem. The other thing you could do is put some electrical tape over where the blasters are on the base. Basically you are trying to eliminate any stray IR and this should fix your bouncing problem since the IR is sent right to your box via this system. Finally, because this is a radio sygnal to start, you do not need to point the Rogers remote at the box. You can point high or way off to the side to further minimize any possible IR bouncing inside your stand.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

So I just got the new nextbox and wow is thing slow when compared to the 8300.
Questions:

1.) When scrolling through channels how do I scroll through only my subscribed?

2.) Anyway to decrease the lag? Should i go back to the classic menu style?

3.) Looking at recorded shows how do skip in 15min intervals like the 8300?

4.) Where is the big guide menu which used to show all the free preview channels, games etc?

5.) Also any tips or new hidden features that this box introduces?
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

DONT GET THE NEW NETBOX IT IS CRAP!

I got suckerd into the new netbox because the rental price was cheaper than the monthly fee.  This box is garbage.  Going from channel to channel is so slow (as mentioned in a few posts). A few nights ago I believe the box froze because it was on and i couldnt get any signal or the box to do anything. I couldnt even turn it off. You can't switch to last channel when your in the interactive program guide (you could with the older boxes) And this is the one that broke the camels back... You cant watch full screen on a SD channel. I went today to rogers store and they told me they didnt have any old boxes. The rep nicely called two other stores and surprise no older boxes. I peeked into back storage area and sure enough there was a couple of boxes.  I didnt say anything and just called rogers and they are going to send a tech out if they can get an older box.

Highlighted

@Sp_dey

1. You can hide the channels you don't want by going into settings, channel setup, hide channels. It will take you some time to do it, but it will give you what you want. It also makes them disappear from the guide.

2. Only way to get rid of the lag is to have Rogers roll you back to the old guide. However, the new IPG is getting better. It used to be way slower than what you are seeing today.

3. No way to skip ahead yet. Maybe they will add it later.

4. Good question. If you hide the channels you do not want, then you will see the new or preview channels when you press guide. However, they are not highlighted so you kind of have to know what the added ones are by remembering that they were originally hidden by you. The ones that are new but not free are greyed out so at least that is easy.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks for the reply. I guess I'll call Rogers to switch back to the old guide. I can't believe how much better the old box was. Hope the next version is better.  Playing around with it for a week and miss a lot of the old features like full screen for SD channels and having a dedicated channel (950) for recordings.

Highlighted

You can still get full screen on SD. Press the zoom button on your remote. You can also do it through settings and then appearance. But yeah, if you want the rest then you do have to go back to the old guide. Just make sure you watch all the stuff on your PVR because the roll back might nuke it.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@mousetamer wrote:
You can still get full screen on SD. Press the zoom button on your remote. You can also do it through settings and then appearance. But yeah, if you want the rest then you do have to go back to the old guide. Just make sure you watch all the stuff on your PVR because the roll back might nuke it.

Very much this.  While recordings are NEVER guaranteed to be kept.. there is warnings especialy when going from guide to guide.

MOST people survived the upgrade to this guide without loosing stuff, but some did.  I think in MOST cases i have heard of going back, everything was wiped.

So make sure to watch stuff.

They are consistantly trying to upgrade/fix this guide... mind you, yes alot of this stuff should have been done BEFORE it was released.. but i digress 😛 
Just remember... all new features and abilities though, are only really going to be brought out on the new box with the new guide.  IE: caller ID is now available on the cisco boxes.. but only with the new guide.  Whole home PVR only with the new guide... etc. 

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers nextbox has been a huge disaster in our household also. We have has this service since April and have seen 9 technicians (10th coming tomorrow) and still we are having major problems. The latest NEW issues are recordings are not scheduling, channels that I pay for are unavailable, and our pvr shutting off whenever it wants and it is not loading properly on reboots and I am forced to pull the plug and reboot again which took me 6 resets during the World Series on Thursday.