Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Nextbox problem

My nextbox pvr seems to turn on by itself. It can be off for hours and then I'll come in the room and the power is on. I live alone so no one else in the house would be turning it on. I've noticed this tends to happen more overnight. Is this because the system updates automatically? My box is a rental so if this is a glitch I'll just exchange it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hi sc21.

Yep: the PVR is set to update its firmware at night, usually around 2 a.m. This has been occurring a lot recently.

Also: There was an update last night for me at 2am ... I turned the PVR off at 4am this monring ... but it came back on shortly thereafter.

I'm Here A Lot

Thanks for the reply. That would explain it. I was actually up around 4:30 and noticed it was on, so I turned the power off, but it was back on again around 7 am. Glad to know that this is not a specific problem with the nextbox but part of the regular update process.

I'm Here A Lot

I noticed after an update a few days ago the recorded list had changed format (preferred the older one as didn't take up as much screen space) and the remote has become very slow.  Not sure if its the remote or the box actually but when doing a FF and then I press Play it takes it a very long time to stop so I'm several seconds in after I press play.  I don't like that.

I'm Here A Lot

Yes, I notced that as well. I also preferred the old format as it took up less of the screen. I've also noticed that after that update, anything I had set up to "record series" had deprogrammed and I had to reset everything again. Not happy about that either.

Channel changing has always been slow for me with the nextbox. It's fast if I actually input the number of the channel I want to go to, but if I'm just flipping stations it's painfully slow. That has been my major complaint with the nextbox since day 1.

I've Been Around

I have both a std. Def. & HD PVR. Both served the purpose well & were easy to use. The Nextbox 2.0 is horrible. It deleted many programs I had recorded & didn't record many I had scheduled.
The good news is you can downgrade your nextbox to the old style which works well. That is what I am doing.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Some of the users on here have reported that they already switched back to the old guide. I have noticed that after the recent updates, the guide has been a bit faster & the lag has mostly gone away. I have lost many recordings but remember its not Rogers fault. If you update something, you either lose it or it gets backed up. Sometimes Rogers updates the boxes & customers lose the movies / shows they recorded. Nothing can be done because we never paid for those shows / movies. I do understand you are made because i, my self have lost recording as well.

I've Been Around

Just got 8642HD from Rogers store sign up with Rent to Own program. First box was used and failed hard drive, second and third box remote doesn't work. Believe it is weak IR receiver inside unit, the remote control TV and DVD without issue.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Have you tried returning the remote & getting another one? Sometimes the remotes are pre owned & used. Rogers just changes the casing outside if it has any damage on it.

Return it & ask them for another one that is closed in a bag. 98% of the times the remotes will work but sometimes they ma fail due to reasons unknown to us.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Also where is your box, in location to the TV, and where you are pointing?

I have found, compared to the olde models, the angle of the IR receiver, appears to be MUCH narrower than before, if you are too much to the right/left of it, it might not pick up properly.