Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm an Advisor

Re: Nextbox problem

Picked up another NB 3 today, and it's no more up-to-date than the old one. Just hoping it fixes my audio problems. Other than audio, I'm actually quite happy with the NB 3.

I'm an Advisor

It didn't take any longer than a few minutes before I had audio drop outs with the replacement box. Does anyone know if I can realistically opt out of my lease for this box because of its issues? Renting it locked me into a 12 month commitment for cable service, whereas before I had no commitment. I still have my 8300HD PVR and am tempted to have it reauthorized and give up on the NB 3. The hassle just isn't worth it after more than 2 months' of its unacceptable performance.

Just to summarize, I have tried all 3 audio outputs and they are all the same. I'm convinced there's nothing wrong with my signal, but I know someone is going to tell me to get a tech to come out. From readings in the Service Menu, I don't see a problem. Also, it makes no sense for it to be a signal strength issue when drop outs don't happen a second time if I backspace, then start playing again, which happens a majority of the time. I've had repeatable drop outs a few times, but they are in the minority for some reason. Also, my 9 year old 8300 NEVER had audio issues. If it's a fact that the NB 3 is more "sensitive" to signal strengths and is having this problem for that reason, that is enough for me to decide it's a completely unacceptable product.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I didn't think there was contracts anymore for the tv/net deals anymore?

Best to call in and inquire.

I'm an Advisor

Gdkitty:

At the time I rented it, the person in the Rogers store did not mention I was signing up for a 12 month cable commitment. When I got my email confirmation from Rogers, lo and behold, there was a 12 month contract for my cable service. It also shows when I log on to the web site and look at my services. The fact that the Rogers store didn't mention it might be something I can argue if they give me a hard time. I'm guessing the 12 month thing might be because I opted for a buy out after 36 months, so I got the $17.50 a month deal rather than paying $25.

I'm Here A Lot

Twice in the last 3 days I've turned my nextbox on and there is no audio.

Shutting it off and on again seems to fix it for me.

The page up fo skip 3 minutes is great! Thanks for the tip.

Couple of things with the new menu that are worse than the old one for me.

Scrolling forward to the next program does not move the display to the next 30 minute timeframe and going up a page

and then back does not put you on the same channel you were focused on before in fact the page looks different and confusing.

I've Been Here Awhile

I am having the same sound problems that you are describing.  I also swapped boxes with no luck, and used 2 different amps with the same result.  I have found the following:

• The problem doesn't occur when you set your audio settings on the NB to "other", so if you don't want surround sound, that solvers the problem.
  • When the problem is happening, switching the audo to "other", then saving, then switching back to "dolby digital" fixes it - temporarily.

Has anyone at Rogers actually acknowledged that there is a problem, and provided a working solution??

I'm an Advisor

lexi321:

It's a funny coincidence that you just posted this. I too swapped for a second box a couple of days ago and still had audio drop outs. Today, I decided to try Other in the audio settings and it seems to be working fine. I even watched 20 minutes or so of a recording using Dolby Digital one time and Other a second after restarting playback of the same recording. The DD setting gave me drop outs and the Other setting, which is actually Linear PCM, did not. The Dolby Digital setting is actually AC3, which is highly compressed and Linear PCM is uncompressed. I don't have a surround system and generally use headphones, although sometimes I use a 2 speaker setup. My AVR has what it calls a Virtuall mode, which tries to replicate surround sound and it does a pretty decent job. Listening with headphones produces very realistic surround sound. I'm leaving the audio setting at Other for now and will see if it stands the test of time.

I'm an Advisor

Watched a few things last night. The only problem I had was on channel 518 watching a recording of CTV News at 6. There were a few audio drop outs, but I've found CTV to be most likely to do this. I have no idea why, though. Other recordings I watched last night from TMN and HBO performed flawlessly. So far, Linear PCM is working much better than Dolby Digital.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'm an Advisor

lexi321:

My NB 3 is connected to a Denon AVR X2000 receiver. I bought the Denon recently, though. Before that, I had the NB 3 connected directly to my TV (Samsung 3D Smart TV). The NB 3 had audio drop outs going through the TV as well. I just have 1 cable box, the NB 3. Before I got the NB 3, I had a 8300HD PVR which never once in 9 years had audio problems. I do have other devices going into my Denon, a PS3 and a Panasonic Blu-Ray. There are zero issues with those. Alll my connections are HDMI. I did experiment with component and optical out with the NB 3, but all outputs got drop outs. I have it connected via HDMI now.

The only Rogers people I've spoken with are in the Rogers store where I got the NB 3. When I did the swap for another box, a guy in the store acknowledged he was aware of the audio problem but, otherwise, said nothing else. I'm skeptical, though. He also told me a box swap was worthwhile as I got mine the day they came out. He indicated the newer boxes are "more up-to-date", but the second one I got was not more up-to-date than the other one. They both have exactly the same HW and SW revision numbers in the Service Menu. The second box was bulit in July, 2013. In the 2 months or so I've had the NB 3, I have not seen one update pushed to the box by Rogers, which I find strange. Another poster here claims to have a more recent version of his firmware than I do, which I found interesting.