Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox problem

Stockade:

One option you do have, at least for the time being... if you are NOT using things like the whole home PVR function, etc... is that on the nextbox, you can have them downgrade it to the OLD guide.

This guide, is a much lower resolution one, but it responds much faster.  As well, it doesnt have the same reboots as the newer guide does.

This may help you, at least in the mean time.

(just not, if you have the PVR, it WILL erase all recordings when going back to the old guide)

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Stockade wrote:

...my agreement with this Nextbox DIAMOND package to expire

GD, I think the Diamond package was a whole home pvr setup... Not sure if Stockade is utilizing the whole home service, but knowing Rogers, in order for him to downgrade, it would probably mean opting OUT of the Diamond package, which means he will have to give up any promotional offers they gave him, and he would likely have to go with another package, and chances are ANY new package he goes with will be more expensive than the current package he's on... so it turns out to be a lose-lose situation for him.  Smiley Mad

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I wouldn't think so. The package, while it may have included that setup for the whole home to begin with, shoulddnt mean that its necessary. Likely the plans are only for a term, possibly have to keep x many boxes, etc, but the guide on them shouldn't matter.

But at min it would be worth a call to inquire 🙂

I'm Here A Lot

Well...its July 2013....We are on our second Netbox...Rogers keeps telling us it only reboots at 2am....its now 10:45pm and we have been watching it reboot for 45 mins.  We were told not to unplug it and to leave it alone....I think 45 mins and 5 loops is enough.... we are unplugging it....

We have had the lines to the house redone, outside box redone, splitters redone, we upgraded at a cost, had dedicated internet line brought in, upgraded internet modem....  When does it stop??  all these upgrades out of our pocket...half days off work to have someone show up over and over.....hundreds of dollars a month to see a red loading progress bar or text that reads this channel is temporarily unavailable.

More and more friends are saying they quit...went to Apple TV, or netflix and just gave up with the TV...books, computers ....and once they quit they realized the money going back into their pocket.  What are we paying for?  If someone was giving me over $3000 a year for service I was providing to masses, I would want to make sure it worked. How about less focus on high speed and provide quality service to all the products you offer. 

I'm Here A Lot

Well....11:04.... finally rebooted after unplugging....most channels black....all our recordings and schedules are gone...all of them.

OMG this is NUTS.  Can we take THIS box back and insist we dont get another REFURBISHED BOX.... I'm at a loss.

I know the wife and kids want to stick it out but I'm honestly sooo done with this.  Easily over a year of trying to make this work.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hey everyone, I'm new to the forum, but not to Rogers. I've been consistently dealing with these same problems with them for over 1 year now and want  you to know that this is a constant issue.

We have been living in our apartment complex since April 2012 and have had up to 7 new boxes, the extrior lines redone, had at least 2 regular techs come in, had a Senior tech come in and we are STILL having issues with the Nextbox.

At first, we were missing HD channels, to which we learned that because of the lobby cam in our building (which never worked until now) was effecting the signal of 3-4 channels. I had to call and complain but since Rogers could do nothing directly about it other than "mention" that it was a problem with the building and they reduced the cost of our cable. That was our first 3-4 explorer boxes.

From there, we got fed up and decided to move to the Nextbox. THAT'S when the real trouble started. We were told getting the Nextbox would solve those issues and get those channels because of the HD content. That was a load of BS since to this day we are still missing those channels. From there, the issuses started flowing in.

My girlfriend has bad depression and insomnia, so often, she is up in the early hours of the morning watching cable, when the Nextbox reboots at 2am. Every single night, from 2-3am she just sits there frustrated at a box that won't reboot. We called and complained but we were told it was normal. Turns out it is NOT normal for the box to be doing that. It was understandable that the box needed to download new software, but it isn't supposed to go every single night. Even when it is supposed to go, the reboot process should have only taken 20-30 minutes. But we were stuck without it for hours. Hours of timeshifted recording ruined, every single night. Those problems soon escallated to not only recordings being ruined at night, but also durring primetime hours (7-9pm)

Because of all the failed recordings, our guide/list would either show empty folders or missing slots. Not only did we have to watch the box reboot every night, but we also had to manually reboot it on a daily basis, often 2-3 times a day. Often times the guide would become completely unuseable and we couldn't even do the manual reboots anymore with the remote. It was impossible for us to deal with this problem any longer, and we had the Senior tech come in to diagnose everything.

The tech was a great guy and he explained that our signal strength was fine and the box shouldn't be doing what it was doing. We spent at least 2 hours trying to sit and problem solve everything. He replaced our box and left his number in case we had any other problems. We haven't called him since because the main issues we had were mostly resolved, but that didn't stop the new box from not working.

The resets on the new box were minimal, but still happened at 2am in the morning. Thursdays are probably the worst for it, since the box would become unuseable for an hour or so. The guide still fails at times, but not as bad as our older model, until about a week ago (July 15) when from 8pm -6am our entire box became pixelated on every single channel, with NO audio, NO control of the remote and reboots couldn't even change that. All of this happened RIGHT AFTER I had called Rogers tech support to deal with a remote issue. 

It was unacceptable that we had to deal with this problem so I phoned Customer Service to deal with it. Because not only was my box not working, but I also ended up with 13GB overage on my internet bandwidth. A problem I had NEVER had before since i use under 120GB of my current package. Most of the time, because the cable service not working, I had to download all of the shows I missed because the PVR messed them up, but never have I ever had my bandwidth go over by that much. The worst part about it, was that at some point, my 75% notice had been opped out of, so I got the notice that I was at 100% and 13GB over.

I'm getting really tired of the services I'm paying for and not getting. Now, my cable/internet have been cut by 30% with no rental on my modem and increased bandwidth from 120GB to 150GB, but I still had to pay overage. My bill is going to be less next month, but that doesn't mean that my Nextbox is going to work any better.

Nextbox is going to constantly have issues, and will never be as good as they say it will be. Not as long as they don't test what is being put out. Not as long as tech support keeps saying "switch your box".

Even the senior techs know the Nextbox is a problem, and they have to deal with it on a daily basis. You hear that Rogers? YOUR TECHS KNOW IT IS A PROBLEM! So why are you still putting out garbage for everyone to just consume?

I Plan to Stick Around

The remote registering "a hundred presses" can be caused by interference in the room between the remote and the cable box. I've had it happen to me and it was being caused by the TV; more specifically the TV's "eco settings" You know the little setting that automatically adjusts the brightness of your tv depending on ambient light in the room to try to conserve power; it can surprisingly do funky things.

For me it was with a Samsung TV - if I had the "eco option' as samsung calls it set above Low it would cause the same issue. I just turned the feature off (alternatively set to Low) and its not a problem. See if your TV has a similar option; automatic adjustment they usually label it as eco something and turn it off. Test and try again. 

I'm Here A Lot

I noticed yesterday when changing channels the info bar that displays at the bottom is not appearing. I can bring it up with the OK/Select button. Plus channels seem more laggy than usual with longer pauses. Anyone else seeing this? Thanks.

I'm Here A Lot

Got my problem solved the channel banner was turn off just had to turn it back on. Updates tend to be buggy and can adjust things. Channel lag is on their end will be resolved in so many hours.

I Plan to Stick Around

Sstacey and pikeface, and everyone else having these problems I feel for you. We have lots of problems in the Atlantic with service problems but perhaps one advantage to having different/ old technology is that we have the old guide and don't have a lot of these problems. Of course we don't have AMCHD (I had to) and our Rogers on Demand is pathetic, but we don't to my knowledge have these PVR issues.

Those are some pretty powerful posts you have composed, Rogers should be taking notice. But will they?

I'm NOT a Rogers employee; I was a satisfied customer, but not anymore.