Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox problem

Our nextcrap box is going back VERY shortly. We've put up with it now for a few months now and curse it every night. It's noisy (it requires the odd slap to fix the transformer buzzing - someone mentioned the disk getting noisy one night, might have been the tranformer), slower than the older box, the software is full of bugs, and recording is very unreliable. The interface just isn't. Totally unintuitive. Bizare problems include random recordings without audio, or even recording audio in spanish! lol. It requires much more usage of each and every button on that dam 58 button remote so you spend a lot of time looking for specific buttons on the old fashioned remote. It lags so if you press buttons on the remote to fast it goes nuts. Whats with the weather block appearing all the time for no reason? The old boxes with the software written back in 1985 looked bad considering this is 2012, yet it is 100X better than the new Nextcrap box and pathetic software written by a high school student dropout. How can it be so slow to do basic things on supposedly the latest hardware? Did they ever test this junk or try to use it to watch tv before flogging it on tv with some guy running between rooms watching the same show? Pure crap, its going back!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The buzzing, etc, would be a bad box. Mine is perfectly silent.

The software.. well thats user opninion.. i wont get into it. 

I myself, have only had to reboot it 3 times, 2 of them signal issues.  One weird thing where it wasnt letting the full recorded list to be browsed.  Worded fine and recorded every thing fine, as scheduled. (audio, etc is fine).

THe weather block? the thing across the bottom where the info bar shows?  That pops up if you hit the .. D colored button.  If its poping up otherwise.. might be another sign of a bad box.

NOt that if matters if you are taking it back Smiley Tongue

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Like any new hardware/software there are expected bugs, etc but the fact that it sometimes takes a good 5 seconds for it to do something as basic as changing the channel shows that this was not properly tested and the problems are beyond normal.  Its absolutely ridiculous how slow it can be sometimes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The only time i have noticed it being a little slow, is when i first boot mine up in the morning.. takes a second.

Other than that, seems fine.   Could be just me, but i find the actual guide to move a little quicker, after the update

I Plan to Stick Around

The new IPG is horrible.  I personally regret switching from the old menu on my 8642.  My wife however likes the new menu. 

What idiot implemented the new aspect ratio changes ?  Previously when watching a pill-boxed program like CTV NewsNet you could zoom and it would fill the screen properly.   Now your choices are stretch - only horizontal,  25% - which zooms the ticker tape on the bottom right off the screen, 50% - I don't know when anyone would use that, and "normal" leaving you watching 16:9 format on an SD channel ....  pill boxed video on your big screen TV.    Super...

Please Rogers - FIX the aspect ratio   - I'll live with the other issues if you'd just fix this. 

I'm guessing I have to call to request to go back to the old menu.  I would imagine a factory reset will be overwritten by the head end settings  for my account. Anyone comment on switching back to the old menu ?

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Make sure you watch anything important that is saved on the box since the revert will most likely wipe it.
Or just listen to to the boss and get used to it. I'm sure the zoom settings will be adjusted seeing how this seems to be one of the biggest PITAs for a lot of customers.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Mouse is correct on that one. 

Loosing your saved programs, while going to the NEW guide, doesnt always happen, but is possible.
Its pretty much guaranteed to loose all programs when reverting back.

The zoom primarily is an issue.. that the old SD channels were in 480, vs they are now forced upconverted to 1080.. so arent allowing the soom the same way.  Hopefuly they will change it.. or replace all the SD with HD ones Smiley Happy

In the long run.. i dont see the new guide going away.  All the old boxes that were ONLY the old guide, you cant realy get any more.. almost all the new boxes are pre-loaded with the new IPG.
EVENTUALY, it will probably be the forced standard.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well im starting to go with staying away from the nextbox i have had 2 in the last month now thus one brought up some kind of error box in the other room lastnight shut dwn rebooted shut down rebooted and shut off.This morning i came out and reconnected the hdmi cable to my main tv and tried to turn on the box my tv started cycling off and on the box came on wouldnt shut off i disconnected all the pwr tried again .Looks looks the box may have fried my pwr supply from the hdmi cable so now im here with a broke 4 year old 46 in tv .I heard of this happening to a friend of mine and said no way but i guess its yes way piece of junk never had so much trouble ever
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Any device that is connected to any device, if there is a surge across it, there is always a potential for this to happen unforunately Smiley Sad

This is why all tv and dvd, pvr, etc should be pluged into a surge bar.. at least protect it from surges from the outlet going through..

I had a room mate in college.. His whole PC got fried.. His PC was on a surge bar... but the surge came up the cable line, to the modem, then into the PC through the cat5 cable.

I've Been Around

I'm really not too sure how anyone could defend the Netbox or compare it to the old system. Say what you want about the old box, at least it was reliable 99% of the time. I'm only a few hours into this Nextbox PVR and I'm scared about what I'm reading considering it's been stuck in some weird boot cycle ever since I plugged it in (and unplugged and replugged, and unplugged......and finally replugged x10). I didn't bother calling into support because it's late and I'm not watching TV so I'll hope for the best in the morning. I have a Nextbox HD terminal in the other room and it seems to be working fine for now...