Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox problem

Just bought a 8642 nextbox pvr on the weekend at bestbuy. I'm about to return it as it keeps turning off and on and then I get a spinning snake thing on the box non stop. I then have to unplug and plug in until it boots sometimes its ok sometimes problem comes back sometimes the screen is double vision.

Anyone else have issues here? I couldn't find anything here but I did on various sites. I have an older 8642 pvr thats been mostly problem free for the past year.

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Re: Nextbox problem

The booting and rebooting is normal at first. The box is downloading and installing the Nextbox software and the new IPG. You should not touch the box until the loading bar which you see at the bottom of your TV screen goes away. If this initial install was interrupted then you may want to reboot the box again and don't touch it for about an hour after you see the spinning snake as you call it. If that doesn't work just exchange your box and make sure the initial install is uninturrpted.
I've Been Here Awhile

Stay with your old system at all costs. This new system is a nightmare of bad design decisions and manufacturing mistakes.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@BooksAboutMovie wrote:

Stay with your old system at all costs. This new system is a nightmare of bad design decisions and manufacturing mistakes.

Which is one opinion on it.  While there are some bugs in it (I can list 5-6 that STILL exist in the OLD IPG), there are others that do like the majority of it.. it can be changed an improved on as time goes on, and it may eventualy be the only choice.

As for the OP's problem.  If its not at the most NEWEST version of the IPG, as someone else posted, it may take a few reboots to update itself fully to the latest update. (think of them, kinda like windows updates).

Also, are you replacing an older model box? (older model completely, not just different IPG)?  The newer boxes, are alot more sensitive to a slightly weaker signal.. while it may have been fine on an older box, might not be on the newer one.  A call to have a technician come out, they can check everything, install a booster if needed, etc.

I Plan to Stick Around

I already have a hd pvr and I just bought this one (didn't even realize it was a nextbox) to replace a standard box. I'm not sure what IPG acronym stands for (something programming guide?). I don't know how to check what version of anything I have. I bought it a week ago some I'm guessing I have the latest but don't know. I'm going to give it a week and if it doesn't improve I'm returning it.

I can also say that amazingly there was a power outage exactly when I plugged it in for the first time and it started downloading whatever it downloads when you first plug it in. Power came on seconds later and it started to count down I believe and seemed to do it's thing and everything seemed fine BUT now I have these off and on problems and then it shuts off and does that spiral think on the box. I simply wanted another hd pvr like I have in the living room for my bedroom but if this thing is still in some sort of "beta" form I'm not interested. Hope its just a clumsy update of some sort.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

IPG stands for Interactive Program Guide Smiley Happy the guide thats on the TV.

There are technicaly two IPGs.. the old SD one, (on the 8300 PVR, and what came originaly on the new cisco boxes).. and the new HD IPG.  (There are always updates to the new IPG.. so it could be that the box only had v1 of the new IPG, and needed to update to v5 or something like that)

That you have the power outage durring that one download.. that MAY have screwed it up on the install Smiley Sad  If you can right away, i would see if you can do a straight swap for another, and let it do a clean restert, etc.

In the long run, this primarily is the way its going and there may not be an option to use the old IPG anymore.  But even with a new box, at least at present.. i beleive you can call, and have them push the OLD ipg out to those boxes.

I Plan to Stick Around

It might not be as frustrating to someone for whom this is their first PVR.  Many of the complaints here come from people who had the older PVRs and were satisfied with them despite the ugly guide and technology that was far behind competitors' boxes.  They are used to certain features and when they are sold on an upgrade that is slower with far fewer features they are understandably upset.  The old software was fine for what it was it really just needed a fresh coat of paint in the form of an HD guide, display, etc.  The fact that my 10 year old Windows Media Center PC has more advanced functionality in its PVR than either of Rogers' old or new PVRs is laughable.  They didn't even give us an operation manual/guide for the Netbox when they installed it.  When I asked the technician he said 'its the same as the old one'.  More lies.

I Plan to Stick Around

No, not my first hdpvr. this is my second one that's replacing a standard digital box in the bedroom. Both boxes look the same except one says Rogers and the other says Nextbox in the upper left corner of the receiver and the "IPG" from what I could tell so far. I do admit that I much prefer the old guide and scrolling of channels when arrowing up or down while on a channel. I don't know if it's that big a deal yet to me but maybe thats because the wife watches that tv usually. She did complain about something to do with recording but can't recall at the moment. Will check later to see if there's a problem I can find.

Last night I did hear the hard drive (I assume) making noise in the middle of the night, anyone know what that could have been. Is there a standard time thse things update like early morning hours?

Also, can someone explain how to see what versions of whatever, like ipg, I have?

Thanks

I Plan to Stick Around

They update pretty much every night, its usually right on the hour but the hour ranges.  I have seen/heard it update at 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think it's around 2am est.

All the recording things that the old one can do can be done on the new, just a little differently ( minus manual recording at specific odd times apparently)