Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox Problem

Thank you for the reply.

In terms of your suggestions I can only reboot the PVR by powering it off/on.

Once the problem occurs pressing on the PVR's Remote Setting button does not bring up the settings' menus unfortunately.

Going back to my original question why is my PVR going non-responsive in the first place? I have the PVR set to TV mode 1080p (I also tried 1080i) and the problem still occurs. Does it matter what order I power up my TV and PVR? I currently power up the TV first followed by the PVR.

Thanks.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @help4me

You can reboot the box by unplugging it from the power cable from the back. Then wait 10 seconds and plug it back in and it will start rebooting. ( if by powering it on and off meaning by the power button on the remote u are talking about).

On the remote pre as settings ( menu) and it will bring up a menu. It will show Guide - My Recordings - Rogers on Demand - Apps and below u will see Search and Settings. Click on settings and follow my post above. That's how u get into the settings.

No order on powering up shouldn't matter. I use my Harmony Elite remote to power on my Sony 55X850XBR - Denon receive and then the 4K PVR. Works fine right off the bat.

Maybe it's a fault box or the settings isn't sitting properly.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I called Rogers Technical Support this morning to explain my problem described above. Their answer was to perform a signal Zap test (whatever that is) and the rep suggested that I reboot the PVR once a week.

Does anyone else reboot their PVR's on a schedule basis?

What is a Zap test?

Thanks!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @help4me

Zapping the box is a way they do a reboot from their end and it installs any updates needed. So that's fine on their end.

Hmm never heard about that. I never have had to reboot my box other then once and that's it. Seems like those techs have no clue.

Have you asked to speak to a Level 2 tech support agent?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@help4me wrote:

Does anyone else reboot their PVR's on a schedule basis?

Years ago I, and many others, used to reboot about once a month. It's not really a bad idea since, like a computer, it's good to have fresh firmware once in a while.

Lately though, my 9865 has been very stable and I only reboot if I encounter an issue, or if it reboots by itself with a firmware update.

I have a few other comments. 

1. There have been several reports of issues (like improper handshakes) with older TVs and 4K STBs on this forum. Make sure your TV has the latest firmware.

2. I would suggest using 1080i as your output format. Most channels broadcast in that format and most TVs do a better job of conversion than a STB, although people have reported that the 4K boxes do a fair job of upconversion, but that was to 4K...

3. Make sure you have a good signal. You can check yourself or call to have Rogers check.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

I'm a Senior Advisor

Nextbox Navigtr 3.0 PVR - suddenly stopping playback and going to resume unpredictability

Three times tonight, we were watching recorded shows, and suddenly out of the blue, it jumped to resume and stopped playing - we could restart with no problem, just weird.

Only change in room was we put a wifi extender in the room to cover deadspots, but that shouldn't have anything to do with it.

We were no where near any remotes or devices that could have sent it to resume, in fact, it bypassed the steps that would take you to resume, like the stop button.

Any one else see this - I will reboot later.

Bruce

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Actually various devices (or combination of devices) can send out stray IR which can affect certain equipment - especially set top boxes. Check out the following thread on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/14-hdtv-high-definition-television-including-lcd-plasma/64463-your-l...

If possible, try unplugging any suspect equipment to see if it still happens or watch for patterns which may lead you to the suspect equipment.

I'm a Senior Advisor

Thanks @57  I will keep monitoring - hasn't repeated itself since yesterday.  If it reoccurs, I will move the extender and see what happens.

Ahh, electronics and the problem of conflicting wavelengths when we get into air waves.  No different in the old days of just wires though - wires can cross talk too.

Thanks, Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox 3 has started to experience: this service is not currently available, please try again later

I had a Rogers tech come in, check all my signals, even connect directly to the outside wire.  Signals were just fine he said.    He said it must be the box, so he swapped the box for a replacement.  Of course I lost all my recordings.  It seemed to fix the problem temporarily (as of this morning), but I checked again tonight and the problem has returned.  So the box swap was pointless.

This problem came about suddenly last Saturday and nothing has changed internally in my wiring.  And it only affects a subset of channels and all VOD channels.  What is causing this issue?   Rebooting does not help.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, still sounds like a signal issue..

Each channel sits a a specific frequency (well a bunch on  each).
while the general signal strength may be ok, there may be an issue/interfearance which is effecting just a specific range or frequencies.
VOD not working, usually is a sign of bad signal as well.

My guess the tech just did a basic test and didnt want to do much more.

Really need to check the signal level, on the box, while on the channel which is having issues.

And probably worth them swapping some of the splitters, etc, as that can be a a major source of signal issues if they have gone bad, beyond a signal issue from the source.