Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox problem

Turns out that, despite clearly stating that I wanted PVR and being told no store had them in stock, they compounded their his fiasco by giving me a nextbox that doesn't have recording capability. 6 phone calls later Rogers finally said they would send a tech with proper next boxes and offered profuse apologies. The saga continues!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That was my first thought when i saw your post yesterday (didnt get a chance to reply).

When the tech comes out, and they go to install the box... try and push for them to install the 9865, and not the 8642.  
The 9865 preforms leaps and bounds over the other.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I so wish that Rogers would just come out and say what they plan to do with these boxes and inventory issues while we wait for the "next generation of IPTV, or whatever".

Honesty would go a long way - tell us we are getting a poor quality box due to inventory, reduce our service cost until they can find one, or at least say that we are on hold for a replacement - why are we having to call every store to locate a box - I go to Canadian Tire and when they are out of stock, they bring up every local store and tell me how many are there, and then call to confirm so I don't make a wasted trip, as stock can be changing as we speak. The store sets it aside for me and I go get it.

Does Rogers have no system for inventory management?

I still go with they want to keep us in the dark - I spent some time reading in various blogs about the whole Gigabit modem issue that we know here, and Rogers has never acknowledged, but no shortage of discussion in depth of what is going on and the problems.

So we continue to have a "poor customer experience".  It is great that they usually do manage to fix it (if we don't leave first), but they seem to have a problem with the concept that the fastest way to improve customer relations and service is be honest with the customer, let us know the limitations (we may be willing to wait or live with it, if not, we choose something else, but at least we walk away knowing we received honesty).

Things are improving, but if you are going to dumping known poor product out on us in absence of inventory, then make an open statement on it on your web site - you know - the hidden statement - product may not be as displayed - or "due to limited inventory, customers may have to choose an alternative set top box as we work to locate an alternative".

I am not asking for much - just honesty - sure some of us will walk, but better having us walk, feeling like it was our choice because you can't deliver, than being handed a 6 year old, weather beaten box that we all know should not be running the current software builds at all.  

Just a small rant - keep pushing to get your boxes changed up if you don't get what you expected and weren't told.

Bruce

I Plan to Stick Around

Not sure if this a Nextbox 3 PVR problem, Guide or PBS Series issue but we seem to have problems setting up a series recording on for some Series on PBS. Tried several times to set up a series recording for the Ken Burns Vietnam series and now for the series Finding Your Roots that’s on PBS Tues at 8pm. It accepts as a series recording without an error message but doesn’t mark on the guide as a scheduled recording or is reflected as a scheduled recording. For both series I’m able to schedule as a single recording successfully but not as a series. 

I’ve bumped into this twice on pbs now. Suggestions and comments much appreciated. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sailorman:

Out of curiosity, I went to tomorrow afternoon on Channel 532 and set a series recording for Vietnam War without problem on my 9865 - it was set to record 5 programmes (confirmed by red dots on the programmes in the IPG as well as in the "list" after pressing list twice). I used the All episodes, any timeslot, any day settings.  I then deleted the series.

I have, however, encountered the issue occasionally where the series would not "take" and had to set individual recordings....

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/td-p/350863

I Plan to Stick Around

@57 wrote:

@Sailorman:

Out of curiosity, I went to tomorrow afternoon on Channel 532 and set a series recording for Vietnam War without problem on my 9865 - it was set to record 5 programmes (confirmed by red dots on the programmes in the IPG as well as in the "list" after pressing list twice). I used the All episodes, any timeslot, any day settings.  I then deleted the series.

I have, however, encountered the issue occasionally where the series would not "take" and had to set individual recordings....

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/IPG-Inconsistencies/td-p/350863

Thanks. I played more with the settings and got it to work. Might have been the default settings I was using. Will be interesting to see what gets recorded. 

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox Problem

Four weeks ago I purchased a new Nextbox 4K PVR (labelled CAV1045HD) from my local Rogers store. From time to time I run into a problem where when I power on the TV, and then power on the PVR, and I get no picture/sound and the PVR remote doesn't respond to any buttons that I push except for the power on/off buttons. After this happens I have to reset the PVR by powering it off/on. I called Rogers Support and they dispatched a technician to my house. The technician said that the signal was good but he suggested that I set the PVR TV mode from Default to 1080i or 1080p. I am running this PVR TV setting now but the problem still occurs occasionally.  Is this a known problem or is my new PVR box defective in some way?

Also, is the Nextbox 4K PVR known by another, specific brand name (e.g. Cisco, etc) that I could search on for problems?

Thank you in advance for your help!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @help4me

Technicolour purchased Cisco division of the cable boxes a couple years ago. So all cable boxes are labelled Technicolour now.

Do you have a 4K television? If you do, run the box on 4K instead. Gives you the channels that are in 4K at the moment and more.

If not then I would suggest leaving it as default or on 1080i.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you for the reply!

I do not have a 4K capable HDTV, it is a ten-year old Sony.

I do have the PVR setting on 1080p now but the problem that I mentioned still occurs from time to time. Is this "normal" for this PVR/TV combo?

Is there another way to reboot the PVR (perhaps through a button combo) instead of powering it off/on?

Thanks!

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello @help4me

You can try the hard reboot via unplugging the PVR from the power source which u have plugged it into too.

You can also go into Settings - Troubleshooting ( scroll all the way down the menu) - Reboot Set-top box or Restore Factory settings.

Pick one of those and u can do it. Picking factory settings will remove all your recorded movies /shows.