Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Re: Nextbox problem

Is it a ROGERS problem, as you suggest, or fundamental poor CISCO design.  Mine is causing 'constant' (every 30 secs.) disappearance of the picture, with the 1080i black pop-up each time, with temporary loss of picture.  Seems to correct itself when re-booting & then not EVER fast-fwdg. or rewinding the program (or recordings).

Any further advice/update on the status.  I'm on my 3rd NextBox 360, from a ROGERS store.

I've Been Around

I have the same problem - Netbox3 in Ottawa running out of resources... and just getting a run around from Rogers saying they will fix remotely within 48 hours

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I totally agree. Keep your old box. The Cisco box sucks. Got the first one and it booted and got the time, could display the stations when changing the channel but NO PICTURE. Took back the box, got a new one right away after explaining my problem, asked if it needed to be initialized - he said no - it was ready to go, plugged it in and wouldn't even finish booting. There is something definately wrong with the Cisco boxes. Now going to go back to Rogers store and arrange to have a technician install it at my home. If you have an old box and it works, keep it.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing to remember.. depending on the box you pick up.. it could have been on the shelf for MONTHS.. and be WAY behind in updates.

Could take 3-4 boot cycles before your even able to get anything up on the screen, as its still updating to the latest firmware/software.

I've Been Around

Nextbox problem

Periodically, I am unable to access recorded content on my pvr without first resetting it (unplugging). I can't access it from the pvr or the 2 other terminals I have. I get an error stating the pvr is unavailable. This is happening daily and I can't always reset as I am recording items. Anyone know of this issue?

I've Been Around

I experienced all the problems reported here in this forum and had the box for only 6-7 months.

It seem the Nextbox 3.0 is getting buggier with time, I can easily reboot 5 times a day and wait 20 minutes each time. Rogers must have hired the lousiest business analysts/developers because the Nextbox is real junk and whatever functions do work, its badly designed such as deleting a show currently recording, takes a lonnnnng time. I rebooted the nextbox about ten times yesterday by unplugging and also using the diagnostic menu. Yes, you get familiar with the diagnostic menu when you own a nextbox (press exit for 5 seconds (power light blinks), then arrow down twice and hit 2).

I never seen a piece of equipments so badly designed and also so unreliable. If Rogers doesn’t strait up its act and fix these main issues soon, I will ask Rogers to take back their POS nextbox 3.0 and will go with a competitor which doesn’t have all these ridiculous issues.

List of common problems

-* Recorded shows stop a few minutes earlier …

-* list recording shows a blank screen un « by title » or « by date »

- list recording doesn't allow you to navigate with up/down arrow

-* can't rewind a live show

-* cant play back my recording, it complains about lack of resources or something is deleted

-* menu navigation is extremely slow, I would say on a good day you wait 3 seconds for each key pressed. During the recording of a show, the wait time jumps between15s to 30s seconds, it takes an eternity to do anything.

-* need to reboots nextbox many times a day

- the box reboots itself while we are watching a show (one bad period was on a daily basis)

- the box seem to often reboot at night needing to tr

- the remote box often can't connect to the main nextbox

- picture comes all fuzzy on all channel, looks like the picture is going through a blender

- *picture kept freezing for 5+ seconds during the superbowl, I felt like torching the . nextbox thing...

- nextbox installation required to rewire my whole house. I am glad to have easy access in the basement or else you end up with holes in your walls or wire stapled on the walls. The remote nextbox will only work if your house has modern wiring.  I have Internet/phone/alarm/tv with rogers so I have a rat nest of cable wires in the basement.

- probably there are more issues i can't recall and certainly news one will show up.

(* these are issues that occurred yesterday despite rebooting)

Rogers help desk could not help to resolve the issues. I am not interested in a new replacement nextbox if it means I will loose previously recorded shows (as I read here). If Rogers is serious about helping its customer it will find a way to transfer the recording.

Anyone has similar issues/experiences?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Sounds like you may have a buggy box.  i have had mine since day one.. and only have the listing issue... and thats only once a week or so.
it should not reboot on its own, etc.

All in all, even though it sounds like you had some wiring re done, sounds like you do have signal issues.

Some of the remote playback problem you have can be with poor signal between the two boxes.

And yes, it requires good wiring and may need to be updated.
As features, better picture quality, and other things are added, then you need something which can handle the signal.
Old cabling, etc.. may not cut it.
(and that goes not just for Rogers.. but ANY provider.  Satalite, etc..  bad cables in your house, could cause issues with that as well... you have bad phone lines, could effect phone, DSL, and Fibe)

I've Been Around

You experience reflects mine.  The box seems to get buggier with every release.  There are clear memory leaks in the software and the software simply does not handle the situaiton where there are many recordings.

I began to get a "No resources available" message and had to reboot each time the message appeared.   Rogers tells me they are working on the issue with Cisco - quite laughably every day they phone me to tell me they are still working on the ticket.

Then yesterday the dreaded happened.  THe box rebooted and lo and behold it said, "no programs recorded".  I had lost all my recordings.  I could spit tacks.  Phoning Rogers did not help. yes, they are aware of  the trouble ticket and we got a doofus who said the hard disk was damaged. 

Now it happens that I have worked in hardware and software for more than thirty years and I KNOW the hard disk was not the problem.  It was the faulty software and file system that gets corrupted over time.  Quite ridiculous.

Well in this mess there is a tiny ray of sunshine.  The NextBox now works beautifully since it has been reset and I have only a few recordings. 

For the first time ever - I've been with Rogers since '97 - I am seriously thinking of moving to Bell.  Unless the new management at Rogers can get this nonsense sorted out with Cisco - perhaps hire better quality programmers and software designers - I am giving up. 

The whole mess is ridiculous.

I've Been Around

So why isn't a Rogers employee on this site?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are some rogers employees on the site.. and ocassionally will try to help out.

But this primarily is a USER to USER forum.