Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox problem

My nextbox is continually shutting down then rebooting.  I had it for about a month and it was fine until this week.  Now it's doing it at least once a day.  Just now it did it twice - it rebooted and when the tv finally came back I switched it back on the channel I was watching and it shut down again.

What gives? 

Can this be fixed or is it just more mediocrity from Rogers?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are a few who have reported these weird ongoing reboots...
Not sure if it's just a wave of bad boxes or what?
Doubt it's firmware, hasn't been anything new since the last one, and my box has heavy heavy usage and has been fine not a single reboot.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Starting a couple of weeks ago, my nextbox 3.0 is missing the occasional scheduled series recording, only catching the last 5 minutes.  I haven't been able to determine any pattern to this.  Has anyone else experienced this, or does anyone have any ideas why it's happening?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

AT what time is the recording?

I'm a Regular

Two NB 3.0's here and both have recently started rebooting on their own. I've had them for a year and this is the first time they're exhibiting this behaviour. Reboots are sporadic - not every day but they seem to happen randomly at any time during the day (e.g. while watching TV mid-day). My bro-in-law just got an NB 3 installed a week ago, and he experienced the auto reboot while watching TV last night at 11pm. Something's definitely going on...
I'm Here A Lot

They've been primetime programs, 8 or 9 PM, with nothing else recording at the same time.  The box was powered off for at least one.

I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox's are just about done here... Is it just us or are other experiencing the continual degration of these pieces of junk and the nightly failing software patches?

Firstly we have a nextbox 3.0 PVR and a satellite box upstairs.

1. The satellite box upstairs now sporadically decides that there are no recordings available, yet the box downstairs has a ton of recordings. I usually have to reboot the box which takes about 20 minutes which usually brings all the recordings back. This has been going on for a few months now I'd say.

2. Recordings started to get flacky, but are getting worst. When playing back, the recording will sometimes get 'stuck' at some random point. You can't rewind or go forward or do anything but cancel out of the play back once it gets 'stuck'. Same happens on the PVR unit. Half of my recordings this week are unusable.

3. Sometimes a program won't play on one unit, but will on the other.

4. When you try to delete an unplayable recording, it says can't delete, as the program is being watched lol.

5. The PVR will on occassion decide to no longer record a program it has been recording for months (Jimmy Fallon for example).

6. Remote stops working on both units a few times a week. Have to remove the batteries and put back in to get them to get the remotes working again. And yes there have perfectly good batteries, that is not the problem.

Right now the PVR says its recording last nights Jimmy Fallow which started at 11:34pm last night and its 1 hr 2 min long. It gives me the option to stop recording and save the program. When I tell it to stop recording and save it does nothing. When I try to play it just gets stuck and I get a black screen.

I'd bring every piece of equipment back to Rogers to swap out since everything is flaky/near useless, but then I'd have to spend another 2 days reprogramming 'new' boxes that likely will have just as many problems. Why do we have to program our boxes in the first place? Ridiculous.. Rogers knows what channels I subscibe too, they should be able to have them automatically setup for just my subscribed channels. A viscious circle of frustration...

Is it time to go out and buy an antenna? lol

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As for the subscribed channels.. (for listing them on the guide) you can go in, and there is an option to HIDE all unsubscribed ones.

As for whats PROGRAMMED.. problem is that that info is stored on the BOX and no where else... even when you are accessing it via the web or phone app.. its talking TO you box.. its not stored elsewhere.
They would need to change that info to be stored via CLOUD of some form..

----------

Antenna w/ streaming is an option what many are moving to... IF the situation is right.
If you watch alot of LIVE stuff... sports.. news... not always the easiest to obtain via other means.

Antenna is only as good as your location... EG: where i live.. i can pick up about 2.5 stations... wooohoo?

I Plan to Stick Around

Well that was fun... I tried the 'Hide All Unscribed Channels'... big mistake! Should have remembered that this is Rogers... they don't think logically.

Now I'm stuck having to scroll through a ton of pay for view channels, all the channel duplicates, all the music channels I don't 'watch', and all the french and other language channels that I don't speak.

They could have spent a few minutes adding options like 'Hide all music channels', 'Hide all Pay Per View', 'Hide All Duplicate Channels', 'Hide All VCR Quality Channels When You Already Have an it as an HD Channel' and 'Hide All Non-English Channels'. Guess that would make it look like you don't actually get 1000 channels lol. Talk about frustrating....

Guess I'll have to book another day off work to reprogram that dam thing lol. Not sure if I still have all my notes about the tons of duplicate channels from the last time I programmed the stupid box.

I know the channels select/hide is programmed on the box, but they should at least have more options then requiing you to spend a whole day figuring out and manually selecting what channels to hide, and especially with all the duplicates. The 'Hide All Unsubscriped Channels' caused more harm than good. So 1980....

I've Been Here Awhile

Among the many other problems my Television has been having since I've set it back up in August of last year, would be the annoying updates that happen randomly. The display layout is beautiful, but it comes at a cost... periodicially my TV will update out of the blue and the box will reset. When this happens, the television goes back and an update message pops up. Then, my TV goes back to the channel it was on and there's no sound. So I have to plug my television out (not the box, mind you), plug it back in, and I get sound - I have to do that everytime.

Also, time again my television will go black randomly. No sound, no picture. It comes back after a while, but it's been happening a lot lately. Last but not least, on numerous occasions my box will stop working. The picture will still show and the box will display the channel it's on, but it won't respond to the remote at all, and not the power button on the remote, or the actual box, will work. I have to plug it out in order to turn it off completely. But then I have to go through all the rebooting stuff and then again, plug my television cord out then back in to get sound. Television is a sharp aquos 37'', box is a CISCO Explorer 4642hd