Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Nextbox problem

jimboden

So how's this for creepy... Denon AVR1912 and same Samsung TV.  However, I changed to a Yamaha Receiver and... it made no difference!!  So unless the TV is putting off some crazy vibe, I'd have to eliminate the hardware.  I know I've always had poor signal strength as I've had to have a special cable run to my house, and I have a number of passive cable amps in my basement, however I have no picture issues, only sound.  With all things digital, it's an all-or-nothing situation, so you'd expect picture issues with the sound,- not just the sound.  You've mentioned that you had the same result with all the output formats of the box, which to me, leaves only the firmware or audio hardware of the box.  The question is why does it only affect certain people?  

I'm an Advisor

lexi321:

Interesting coincidence about our gear being so similar. I have no issues with signal strength. I've looked at it many times in the Service Menu and it's always fine. One interesting thing I found, though, is that signal strengths vary by the channel you're tuned to. They can be quite far apart. For instance, I have seen dbmv readings as low as 6 and as high as 14. If the signal is "out-of-bounds", the reading changes colour from white, to orange, then to red, with red being bad news. I've never seen red and most of the time the readings are white. I do occasionally get an orange reading showing the signal is actually a little bit high, but never low. I have a PDF document for Cisco cable boxes called Understanding Diagnostic Screens. It's well over 200 pages and has lots of interesting information. I've looked at most of the Service Menu screens as described in the document, which is how I determined that my signal strength readings are in an acceptable range. As you say, it's interesting that this problem is affecting only a few people, but that's just based on a small number of people posting on this forum. For all we know, Rogers is being driven crazy by calls for techs to go out and look at this problem and we just don't know about it. I'm sticking with Other as my audio option until it acts up as well. If that happens, I will get a tech to come out but, realistically, I don't know what they can do when the signal strength isn't an issue.

One other thing I forgot to mention is that I never get audio problems when I watch On Demand stuff on channel 309.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

My nextbox is brand new as of two days ago and it is updating right now and has been updating for about 35 minutes in PRIME TIME. Is this normal??????? Or is this normal for the first ever update and then it updates through the night? So much for watching the game tonight.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello basseditor

Depending on the update. Small updates take a small amount of time but big updates can take hours at times.
I've Been Around

Hi everyone!

I seem to be having an issue with my NETBOX. A few times per week, my NETBOX will stop working at exactly 1:25am. I cannot change any channels or do anything with the remote. I have attempted to unplug the NETBOX and then plug it back in, but that doesn't help. The box is literally frozen and will not work until around 2am at which time it updates. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately.. thats NORMAL 😞

That is the time, its doing UPDATES.. and pretty much bogs down the box.. that nothing else can possibly be done while its happening.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello kostlivec1

Unfortunately when the updates happen between 12-2am there isn't much you or anyone else can do. The updates will shut off the box and reboot it when it's done.

The updates are mostly updating the guide and they perform maintenance on their end. Unplugging the box won't make it any faster or better either.
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello, I just got a standard HD Nextbox that doesnt have PVR in it. It is working great but it seems like the volume when set CBL doesnt change the sound level. It is moving up and down as if it was changing the audio level but in reality the volume is staying the same. When I put the remote in the TV option the audio level goes up and down without issue.

Does anybody have a fix for this? I would like to not have to put the remote in the TV option everytime I want the volume to increase or decrease. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hmm, seems like the remote maybe didn't program fully. You programmed as per the instructions on the back of the remote?

By default, when you have the tv programmed, when on CBL, is SHOULD auto change the tv volume, not the box

I've Been Here Awhile

Yes I did, the instructions on the remote is the same as the instructions on the setup paper that came with the box. I am stumped. 

Is it possible to some how reset the remote as if the remote doesnt work with the box,  so I can do it again from scratch?