Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Nextbox problem

One of my PVR's just randomly updated over the weekend from my tried, trusted, and true old guide to the new Enhanced guide.  I have played with it before, but still cannot get used to it, and want to revert back to my old guide, but am going through all my recorded programs first as there is a possibility that I will lose everything when reverting back (didn't lose any recordings when it updated though!).  I don't even know why/how I got the update as I didn't ask for it, and have been using the old guide for a few months now...?

Anyways, it seems like the theme of the game here is:  Whenever we have - what we feel is a faulty box -, we are to return it and get another one.  Has anyone stopped to think about how this affects Rogers?  Rogers has to pay for shipping/receiving of all this product back and forth to some warehouse, and then pay someone to troubleshoot/test the box.  Chances are the people who are checking these boxes are NOT going to spend the necessary time to go through all the proper settings and functions to determine if something is working or not, and most likely just send boxes back out as they "appear" to be working fine.  In the end, all this product swapping and testing comes back to us in a cable increase.

Now I'm not saying these boxes don't have problems... THEY DO.  But I think people should also consider other factors when saying their box is broken/faulty.  Consider having your wiring checked, having the main feed outside checked, etc.

I've Been Here Awhile

I'll add to the list.  My problem(s) are with the 4642HD box, not the PVR version.

After two tech visits to solve low signal issues resulting in an Er99 error code I now have a new problem.  After about 30 - 60 minutes of use the nextbox stops sending video output to the TV.  The box is connected via HDMI.  I have tried two TVs at the location of the box and have the same problem with both, ruling out a TV issue.

What does the forum think, do I still have a signal issue or do I have a flakey box that should be replaced?

Recent history of problem:

Er99 started, replaced box through Rogers store visit. Problem remained.

Tech visit 1: changed connectors on cables, replaced splitter, got time to display on box

Tech visit 2: installed inline signal amp, replaced nextbox, saw actual TV

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Are you using the HDMI that came with the box?

That would be my first thing to change... i have tried with 3 different ones from rogers.. ALL of them didnt work, were flakey.

Other than that.. could be a flakey output port.
Best way i can say to rule out its the BOX doing the signal drop.. is to say connect via COMPONENT video if you can, should still get the same resolution.  If it still drops, its the box..

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Gdkitty wrote:

Are you using the HDMI that came with the box?

That would be my first thing to change... i have tried with 3 different ones from rogers.. ALL of them didnt work, were flakey.

Other than that.. could be a flakey output port.
Best way i can say to rule out its the BOX doing the signal drop.. is to say connect via COMPONENT video if you can, should still get the same resolution.  If it still drops, its the box..

Yes, I was using the hdmi cable from Rogers.  I called tech support and was advised to return the box and hdmi cable. I am now on box four in two weeks. I hooked up the new (probably refurb) box and cable and have the same problem. I hooked up composite video and all is well.

I have another nextbox hooked up via a non-Rogers hdmi cable that has worked fine.  Maybe for fun I'll try that hdmi cable in the problem location and see if it works.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

This may sound like a dumb question but what is the difference between using the Companent cable or the HDMI cable with a HDPVR?

Component is analog, HDMI is digital. With component, the HD box has to convert the digital signal it receives back down to analog. Your TV then has to convert it back to digital and display it. HDMI is a straight digital connection, which means there is no conversion out of the HD box to the TV. The end result is better, sharper picture. We used to demo this where I work with a single box hooked up to 2 identical TVs. The component TV didnt look as sharp on things like text, the Rogers guide, and also had a lot more macro blocking compared to the one with HDMI.
HDMI also carries audio btw, while component requires a separate audio connection. Then there is the WAF side of it . 1 cable vs 5.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, all in all, the HDMI cable will give you slightly better picture compared to the two ways.

I was only sugesting it, for testing purposes.  THough it appears the BOX is fine, since it was going ok with the component.

I would recomend trying to swap that HDMI cable.  One of the HD boxes (non pvr) i had, had off and on issues with the HDMI port.. i just went to component on that TV period (as the TV itself, was only 720p).

@mousetamer wrote:
Component is analog, HDMI is digital. With component, the HD box has to convert the digital signal it receives back down to analog. Your TV then has to convert it back to digital and display it. HDMI is a straight digital connection, which means there is no conversion out of the HD box to the TV. The end result is better, sharper picture. We used to demo this where I work with a single box hooked up to 2 identical TVs. The component TV didnt look as sharp on things like text, the Rogers guide, and also had a lot more macro blocking compared to the one with HDMI.
HDMI also carries audio btw, while component requires a separate audio connection. Then there is the WAF side of it . 1 cable vs 5.

Thanks.  I was just asking because I belive our box is hooked up with the Component cables.  For now everything is working well and is satisfactorily,  I will just leave it that way.  Dont want to tempt fate. Smiley LOL

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@jays77 wrote:

Thanks.  I was just asking because I belive our box is hooked up with the Component cables.  For now everything is working well and is satisfactorily,  I will just leave it that way.  Dont want to tempt fate. Smiley LOL

With these boxes.. its probably a good idea Smiley Tongue

Depending on the TV, you may not notice any of the things that Mousetamer mentioned.

And in the end.. weither through HDMI or component, the box is outputing 1080i either way.. so its not like you would be getting 1080p or anything from HDMI.

I've Been Here Awhile

Just going to add here as well,  If any rogers employees read this ever,  that these nextbox's are complete crap,  Its now 2:56 am and Ive been unable to watch TV for an hour, it constantly gets stuck on the loading bar,  or on the dnld or whatever,  It will NOT respond to the remote,  to buttons on the unit, nothing works unless you unplug it and let it go again.

What could POSSIBLY require updates this often with no apparent improvement to the unit or the service it provides?

I personally cannot wait till my agreement with this Nextbox DIAMOND package to expire,  Ill be dropping this poop faster than a red hot rivet.

Ive heard some people say they have had little or no issues with them,  but if youre a late night TV viewer,  or a timeshifter, go with another television provider.