Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Nextbox problem

That is what I was implying in my reply to InHim. He was wondering if the 8642 could record 2 shows and still give him the ability to watch a 3rd show live and I replied that he could not watch a 3rd show. My apologies for not specifying a "live" show. I am aware that you can watch a previously recorded show while recording 2 show simultaneously. I am also aware the the competition is head and shoulders ahead of what Rogers is offering with Nextbox!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, they are using some of the newest digital boxes, with the more tuners. Compared The 8642s are actualy quite a number of years old.

I can see them not just wanting to jump on ANOTHER box (I mean look at how many issues they have keeping up two different guides, boxes, and apps for them already Smiley Tongue) do we really want next box 3.0? Smiley Tongue

Bell lucked out since starting the new stuff from scratch, no having to worry about backwards or cross device comparability, just new best right from the beginning.

We can only hope for a new one. One day. Hopefully before my eyes are too old to see the tv Smiley Tongue

I'm a Senior Advisor

The major competitor out west is also light years ahead of Rogers! Just have a look at their Website. BTW, I bet my eyes are older than yours! Cat Wink

I've Been Around

The Rogers Next Box is the most primitive software on the market. I can live with the reboot but most times it screws up your preprogrammed shows..There are at leat 6 PVR/DVR on the US markets that are better than Next Box. Some you can record up to 4 shows while watching another. The Rogers NextBox should be renamed **** box. I am seriosly thinking about bying one from the states that was not designed by a 10 year old.

I am amazed that more people are not compalining about this publicly. It's a total rip off. Anyone know if the Bell PVR is any better?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Buying a us box wont do any good, you can't register it on the Rogers network Smiley Sad

Bells sattalite pvr is no better, but the fibe one is (assuming you have fibe available in your area)

I'm a Regular

Does anyone actually like the so-called Nextbox? From the reviews I've been reading over the weeb it seems like Rogers got saddled with a real piece of junk.. Old technology in an age when anything more than two years old is an antique. If I can get a good picture on my old CRT unit I should get an equally good one on my new big screen TV. I don't really care if I can count every wart and hair on an actor's face.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I prefer the HD resolution of the next box menu vs the blocky sd one, on a 50" TV the old guide text is awful to read IMHO. But there are still a lot of other issues with it.

Really it's a personal preference on if you want it or not. Some people are happy in sd. Other people do like the HD.

My 50" is a newer led tv. Even compared to my old LCD, it is a bid difference, the color and clarity. Is it necessary? No, but some people do like it Smiley Happy
Heck, even my uncle who was using a like 25 year old CRT, was just at our place for Xmas, and we watched starwars on bluray (the orig ones so not even as HD as you can get), with a surround sound.
His jaw hit the floor. "You can get this sound/detail?" He went out Boxing Day and spent about 4k on equipment Smiley Tongue

I've Been Here Awhile

Seriously...now they are GIVING the box away for free and I've been paying $25 a month for crap service.  I was with Rogers digital when it was first available (like 10 yrs ago).  I had to switch to satelite when I moved but switched back to Rogers about 1.5 yrs ago.  I was SHOCKED when they still had the EXACT same IPG has they did years ago.  Looked liked it belonged on a commador 64!  I was please when they announced a new IPG but man oh man has it ever been a dissapointment!  So many glitches with On Demand, screen goes black every 10 seconds and have to power cycle.  Rebooting takes FOREVER!  I'm surprised Cisco allows Rogers to use their hardware when it is such poor software.  I am going to complain and ask for $0 rental fee or else screw this.  A friend has Bell Fibe and RAVE's about it - instan channel changes beautiful IPG...fast.  Shame Rogers...inferior product

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I exchanged my rented digital box yesterday for the supposedly better NEXTBOX. What a piece of crap as I spent from eleven in the morning until eight in the evening when two techicians worked on the system. They had to swap out the box for another and I am on the phone again this morning as the screen keeps going black after five minutes. It does come right back on but how annoying is this. It also takes forever to reboot the unit as you can throw that ten minutes out the window they tell you on the phone or it states in their installation flyer. Believe me it takes thirty to forty five minutes to reboot the system. I was ready to head back to the store and pick up my old unit. We shall see how this pans out today as I am talking back and forth with the tech people there this morning. All this after we had no phone or internet all weekend under the Rogers service.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Stanb1

The Nextbox is just the same old 8642 HD PVR. They just added " NextBox" on the box. The boxes are not better or new if anything. Yea the box takes around 5 minutes to reboot in which is really bad for a cable box. It should take minumim 2 minutes. The NextBox has way to many issues and bugs. I will never understand how the company let a software with bugs and issues out like this. Rogers Developers should have fixed this and no excuses can be made.