Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Nextbox problem

I dont have fibe tv either and dont plan on getting it. Based on what I know reading fibe reviews from customers and seeing fibe tv in person - IT AINT ALL THAT. I hate their IPG, it sucks and their remote is some cheap crap off the factory. Yes, it's like 3 inches shorter than rogers remote but who cares, that's irrelevant in use. I played around with it at a store. I was clicking everywhere trying to test all the basic functions then - DRUM ROLL - tv screen froze on me!! No matter what I clicked screen remained frozen. I gave up trying after that. Reps saw me frustrated but didnt care and remained in their little lunch/chat room. None came out to help or ask what's going on... niccce customer service!! Mehhhh!! The revamped channel lineup with the renumbering from rogers is a pain. Took me forever to find CNN HD. HD is clear but I see constant ghosting on the samsung led tv. That may be a result of samsung led tv than the HD itself. I have a new panasonic 3D HDTV 50 ST 50, so what do I know, lol... I dont get ghosting on my plasma tv.   The box is smaller than the cisco 8642 HD PVR  at around 1 square foot in size by 2.75" high, weighs less than cisco. The connects are the same coax cable in/out, hdmi, etc., etc. no different than cisco boxes. Fibe tv uses existing coax cables in house. They just change the connect point device outside the house. That's what fibe told me anyway... I didnt see Fibe better than rogers as a whole but rather mediocre. I was not impressed based on expectations. That's not because I'm still a rogers customer but was not impressed AT ALL by what is supposedly "new tech".  Anyone can find pics of the fibe 2262 hd pvr. It's pretty simplistic in design and connections.  

**edited for content**

I've Been Around

What I don't understand is I have 2 of the boxes.  The downstairs one works fine.  Has the old menu but all the extra memory no problems thus far.  The one we use upstairs is garbage.  It has the new Menu which lags alllllll the time.  Seems even worse if you are not changing the channel for a little while.  Going to the guide and changing the channel or rewinding should not take this long.  The fast forward function is practically useless.  They still show the 2-4 triangle system depending on how fast it should be going.  They all seem to go at relatively the same speed.  Shouldn't have to fast forward for 20 minutes to reach the last 15 mins of the show you missed the end of.  I tried to switch the appearance and go to the classic menu but it didn't work.  Looks like we're stuck with the modern menu that doesn't work.  Should have stayed with the old box.  I guess there's a reason why Rogers has it cheaper to rent-to-own the netbox than to rent the old one for a reason.  You get what you pay for I guess, not sure if I'm glad they consider me a valued customer if this is what they think makes me happy!!!!!  Is this a matter where I should exchange it and hope I get one the works with the old menu?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@santacruz wrote:

What I don't understand is I have 2 of the boxes.  The downstairs one works fine.  Has the old menu but all the extra memory no problems thus far.  The one we use upstairs is garbage.  It has the new Menu which lags alllllll the time.  Seems even worse if you are not changing the channel for a little while.  Going to the guide and changing the channel or rewinding should not take this long.  The fast forward function is practically useless.  They still show the 2-4 triangle system depending on how fast it should be going.  They all seem to go at relatively the same speed.  Shouldn't have to fast forward for 20 minutes to reach the last 15 mins of the show you missed the end of.  I tried to switch the appearance and go to the classic menu but it didn't work.  Looks like we're stuck with the modern menu that doesn't work.  Should have stayed with the old box.  I guess there's a reason why Rogers has it cheaper to rent-to-own the netbox than to rent the old one for a reason.  You get what you pay for I guess, not sure if I'm glad they consider me a valued customer if this is what they think makes me happy!!!!!  Is this a matter where I should exchange it and hope I get one the works with the old menu?

Any right out of the store ,will have the new menu by default.

But you can call them up, and have them revert it to the old one.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes --- also experiencing continual scrolling on an intermittent  basis....it's not the remote and there's no buttons stuck on the box.....it is a 'software' issue....

same as the horrendous lag for button pushes....makes this Nextbox almost unusable.

we were on the beta testing team for the Nextbox guide ($50 credit over 60 days).....we had to opt out due to its horrible lag.

this still hasn't been changed.

i've been a Rogers customer for decades....if the Nextbox software isn't fixed soon, I will be an ex-customer for sure...

Highlighted
I've Been Around

I have had a netbox pvr for at least 6 months and I'm ready to throw it across the room. I too get the box turning off and on and then it takes forever to reload all the content. It is extremely annoying when you are watching a program because once it starts rebooting you can't do anything but wait which it has taken over 15 minutes before to reload. I also find the box extremely sensitive  when you push the guide button. It seems like you have to push the guide button several times and then push it twice in a row to get a response to the guide. If you push it once too many times though it goes to your favourite programs and then you can't get back to the guide without exiting and starting all over again.

I have had the picture on the TV screen freeze several times and have had to unplug the box and reboot.

The whole system has a very slow response regardless of what you are trying to do. I had the regular PVR from Rogers before they came out with this netbox and had no issues whatsoever.

Somebody mentioned this system downloads at 2:00a.m. but I have gotten up at 6:00 a.m. several times lately and it is dowloading and I can't put the TV on. This is extremely annoying as I like to watch the news before I head out for the day.

Can somebody at Rogers please explain why this box is ridiculously annoying.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Mare57

The updates / downloading happens from 12am-7am. Anytime between that time it will happen. Mostly around 1-3am it happens tho. Good luck getting a Rogers rep actually admitting & helping us out with this. They will always give us excuses & make something up like they did for the past half of year this update came out.

I am ready to throw the box at the box out as well. You will have some users reporting they do not have problems with the box but its very low & it seems they are no help anyways. You will have Rogers reps saying their is no problems with the updates & try to make you get it. Believe me i have seen all this.
I've Been Around

wow seems like a torrid state of affairs.

i am old old school with an 8300.

Rogers has offered me an upgrade but with all this chatter maybe it's better to stay with old  Fairly reliable.

mainly what I was looking for is the ability to record more than 2 programs and still watch live.

is this a function of Netbox.

cheers

I'm a Senior Advisor

No it is not. Nextbox or using the 8642 PVR is no different than the 8300 PVR. You can record up to two programs but if recording 2 programs at the same time, you cannot watch a third show while recording. For the feature you would like to see, you would have to move over to Bell Fibe!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It's a limitation of the hardware unfortunately. The SA and Cisco boxes only have a dual tuner, so can only do two things at once. IHR is correct that the bell fibe can do it, as their hardware has more tuners in it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

IHR,

I don't think that's quite right. On my 8642HD PVR I can record 2 shows at once and watch a 3rd previously recorded show no problem.

You cannot however watch a 3rd live show while 2 other shows are being recorded. There are only 2 tuners on the device as already noted.