Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox problem

I will agree there are a lot of things that need to be fixed.

I have no problems though with getting channels, at least now, compared to when it was installed. That model box period, is a lot more sensitive to signal issues than the older ones. New cables inside the house and out, a booster, and we are fine.

I would have guessed with as many visits a you had, they would have done that already Smiley Sad

I've Been Around

Recently came across a problem with my box. I manually have set up a show to record, my nextbox SAYS it is recording. But when I go into my list (date/channel or show lists), it's not there???

Right now for instance, I have American Horror Show recording, the box AND my list show it recording. If I select it and watch it while it's recording ( which I could do before) its blank?  There's nothing but a black screen? Then it goes back to my guide???

Anyone else having this problem???

Oh, and when I first got this box, I had the same problems with the remote, pushing a button and it would just continue to scroll the channels endlessly...so frustrating. But, figured out that by turning down the backlight on my tv (option in my main menu, no idea how to find it if it's not an option) it fixed it!  No problems since. 

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Wow,

have I had my share of issuses with this box. I changed to this box last April, the nextbox hd pvr.  I loved the search option, and I liked the look. That was before sound started to cut out and picture pixilized. So I called rogers, a guy came told me it was fixed he was in and out in 15 minutes. It wasn't fixed. We had another guy come, he was better, changed almost all our wires and things improved, not perfect but livable. Then last Monday we lost power due to the storm. Then we had no on demand services and the search told me there are errors with the server. Called Wednesday and they said it was a box update issue and I had to wait. Called again Friday and they said it was a spike in the signal, they had to send out another tech.

the third rogers cable guy gets here yesterday and switches one cable some connections and my box.  The new box came out of plastic, it was brand new! I thought that was great. However it seems not to be so.

the search still doesn't work

the pvr all of the sudden turns on by iitself when I turn on my tv (when I come home to it on) is blank and I have to turn it all of to make it work and last night it was pixilizing bad.

It's been 7 months now, and I'm soooooo frustrated, does anyone kow how to fix this?? I've rebooted it and its all the same. Should I get henge out my box? It's a rental.

thanks for any help

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Pixelization, is normaly a signal issue.. usualy if its a bad box output, etc.. you will get nothing..

Something to me says, something is still not right.. could be the signal into the house, etc.. the techs SHOULD have confirmed this.. but some are better than others Smiley Sad could be a street issue, etc.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Y

@angelus_025 wrote:

They update pretty much every night, its usually right on the hour but the hour ranges.  I have seen/heard it update at 2am, 3am, 4am, 5am.

I have a fairly recent 8642HD pvr and noticed that might be happening. I would turn it off at nite before bedtime like 11-12 midnite. When I wake up I noticed the pvr is left in the ON position with the hard drive indicator light. I think ... I remember turning it off at nite. We have 2 boxes and same on both.. So I figure it must be because of updating like ms windows or apple mac s/w. It's a pain cuz why doesnt the box shut itself off after updating?? Argh.. 

**edited for content**

^^^

Spoke to a rogers technician. He said yes, it is becuz of updating. He also said when it occurs you have to press power button 2x to actually turn the box OFF. 1st time it supposedly awakes the machine from "sleep" mode and 2nd time turns off the box. He said it's a known issue and due to firmware glitch. They are allegedly "working" on it. You know with rogers that means at least 6 mos, mehhh. 

I've Been Around

Been using the Nextbox whole home PVR for about 5 months. What a nightmare. A totally unreliable product - shows have been erased, not taped and my  whole library of shows has been deleted at least twice now.  Response time is pathetic (many seconds to change a channel, rewind etc)  and the system crashes frequently. Just awful. Of course ROgers has done nothing. I am moving the whole enchilada (phone, cable, internet) elsewhere. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@EricJasper wrote:

Been using the Nextbox whole home PVR for about 5 months. What a nightmare. A totally unreliable product - shows have been erased, not taped and my  whole library of shows has been deleted at least twice now.  Response time is pathetic (many seconds to change a channel, rewind etc)  and the system crashes frequently. Just awful. Of course ROgers has done nothing. I am moving the whole enchilada (phone, cable, internet) elsewhere. 

Its unfortunate this happened to you.

Im still trying to figure out what may be causing this.. there are some others that have reported the same thing.. weither its a box/model issue, area issue, etc.

I have been on the new IPG and whole home PVR, from day one of its release.. and myself have never lost a recording yet.

Becauses the boxes are unreliable that's why... get rid of cisco and use a diff manufacturer. I found that you have to swap boxes 2-3 times to get a good one. They claim cisco refurbishes, tests, and repackages them before sending them off back to the stores (for the rentals).  I highly doubt that.  Too many stories like these to give cisco/rogers the benefit of the doubt. Fibt tv uses motorola. They make the HDTV 2262 PVR for their customers. Rogers needs to secure a contract with them once cisco is done. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@pac_west227 wrote:

Becauses the boxes are unreliable that's why... get rid of cisco and use a diff manufacturer. I found that you have to swap boxes 2-3 times to get a good one. They claim cisco refurbishes, tests, and repackages them before sending them off back to the stores (for the rentals).  I highly doubt that.  Too many stories like these to give cisco/rogers the benefit of the doubt. Fibt tv uses motorola. They make the HDTV 2262 PVR for their customers. Rogers needs to secure a contract with them once cisco is done. 

May be easier said than done.  I dont have fibe, so i am not sure how the box connects or not.  I know fibe comes into the house via twisted pair.. just not sure if it converts from that to COAX to the TV then?  Or does it connect into the box via twisted pair (phone line)..   If its via phone.. and if the box doesnt support coax, may not be able to work.  Also, if they have entered into an exclusive agreement for hardware.. they wont sell to some other provider Smiley Tongue

Not saying, i wouldnt be against a newer box, etc.. .just saying it might not be easy to use THAT one Smiley Happy