Nextbox problem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Nextbox problem

I'm new to the whole Rogers Netbox thing so i don't know if this is normal or not.....

Every night at 2 am ish both Netboxes reboot. One is a PVR. For the most part it's not that big of a deal but my wife has health problems that cause her to have trouble sleeping. It's kind of hard for her to watch TV when the box reboots. 

Is there a way to change when this happens? 6 am would be better. 

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello Puzuma.

The reboots are normal. They happen becuase Rogers updates the Guide & the box with features & new channes & also fixes on other thingsThis happens at 2am because of the  system maintenance. This can NOT be changed at all. This is something we all have to face. The box only reboots once a day which is at night. It takes a few minutes & then goes back to normal. Sometimes it may take 10 minutes depending on what is being added / installed. This is something Rogers will never change or take down.

Here are other threads about it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/PVR_settop_boxes_remotes/thread-...

There is more threads / posts about this but if you want,  you can use the search feature on the top right hand side & find them as well.

I Plan to Stick Around

Its 1 step forward and 2 steps back with this piece of junk.  They FINALLY fixed the ridiculous slowdown problem a couple of weeks back and now it is back, not as slow as it was at its worst but still pathetically slow.  It takes seconds to change channels or to cycle from one line to the next.  If you're taping two shows at once and want to watch a recorded show the thing becomes dumber than Sarah Palin and doesn't know what to do.  The old hardware handled this perfectly by tuning in to a non-channel when viewing recorded shows.  This new one can't figure out what to do and you end up either spoiling a show you are taping or having to stop recording a show in order to make it stop asking you about the conflict.  The Netbox has now for some reason started operating WHEN THE POWER IS TURNED OFF.  I will try to change a channel or press a button on the remote and have nothing happen, only to realize that the power is off but there is a program on the screen.  WTF?  This past week has also seen shows that are scheduled to record for an hour but hours later showing as still recording.  As a result the show itself is not viewable and at the same time has caused conflicts because it is still recording (even though its not actually recording) resulting in other shows not being recorded.

For the regular Rogers apologists please don't reply with the regular excuses, we have heard them all before over and over and they don't help.  How is this hardware/software getting WORSE?  Unbelievable.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Joey, its been explained to you before... we do NOT have any stakes in rogers.  We actualy have our own gripes, and bring them up on here as well!

The difference is, we try to HELP people.

We do not disuade a person from moving to a competitor, that is their choice 100% in the end.  All we do is try to bring up any of the same issues they may get on the other end.  People tend to think switching compaines will be the magic fix, etc, and that is not always the case.

Again, as i stated in your other post.  In the end, that is not the purpose of this forum.  In the end, the user can complain on here about rogers problems, that is 100% fine.  Another user can counter it, if its still on topic of that problem, if they feel its not a problem.  But this forum is to talk, help, discusss, tech support, etc for rogers products.  Its not a place to discuss the compititon. If you wish to do so, please do it on a 3rd party forum.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Angelus,

In the end.. i dont think we are trying to make.. excuses for it... just trying to explain WHY sometimes things happen, etc. 

Does the nextbox has problems? Yes.  Do you hear us agreeing that it does usualy? Yes.  

You wont hear an argument from us on it.. we know there are things that need to be fixed.

In the end, there is no magical fix for it.  Its not a snap of the fingers, it will get better.  All we can do is bring up the problems, so rogers is aware of it, and can fix them.  It was primarily by promting on this board, that got the lag issues a few weeks back fixed.  But some things, will take time to re program, etc to make those changes.. they may not be instantanious.

its the difference of "lets work together to compile a list of the problems/things we would like to see changed"  "ITS BROKEN! FIX IT! *rage*"

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

GDkitty,

I did not name you specifically in my post as my point wasn't to call anyone out but its not surprising that someone jumped to Rogers' defense again so quickly.  Say what you want but when people constantly come on here and defend the BS we have to dela with you can see why others make assumptions.  Saying that you understand or feel our pain is exactly what CSRs are trained in complaint departments at any company, not just Rogers.  I don't know if you work for Rogers and I don't even care, but please enough with the patronizing.  Most of the problems on here can not be solved by everyone helping each other.  While some minor ones can, or in cases where the user is unaware of how to do something yes but in most cases the issues (especially in a thread called NETBOX PROBLEM) the problems are for Rogers to fix, not someone who 'doesn't work for Rogers'.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes i replied.. as people have called me that before.  But statisticaly wise (by the thumbs up) i have had the most helping and solution posts.  I have helped people solve their problems on understand whats going on.

Not ONCE in my reply, did i come to rogers defense tho.  I outright said, that yes there are problems..

Saying that i undestand and feel your pain... is maybe that i am agreeing with you, that i have seen and heard the same thing and agree with it?

While i do work in a support role (IT for a company) i am not a CSR.

In case you missed the title of these forums.. they are called a COMMUNITY forum.  It is a place for the rogers community, the users, to discuss and get help with stuff.  Yes it is rogers moderated, and yes rogers reps can sometimes help with stuff, pass information on, etc.

People come on here, and are frustrated.  And yes while its not the thing they want to hear.. they want it fixed NOW, they have to understand, not everything can be an instant fix.  That is all i am saying.  I am not saying it s not rogers fault, i am not saying they shouldnt fix it.

I Plan to Stick Around

Ok so lets talk about the problems/fixes.  So far I am not hearing anything.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

If you read the posts you will see what most people have problems with.

-Some are having issues where the recordings are being deleted right after a update Rogers sends out.
-Some are having issues where the box lags & does not stop until reboot.
-Some are having issues where the remote is not registering properly with the box & even after they got new remotes its still happening.

-  Some are having issues with The Box rebooting & leaving the front LED time on instead of Off.

- Some are having Problems with the Guide & a few channels.
I have had all those happen to me on 2 HDPVR boxes. One was the normal 8642 HDPVR & the new 500GB Nextbox HDPVR 8642.

Everyone has different issues with the box. Best thing to do is post the problem & see if their is a solution. If not, then lets see if Rogers will fix it. Already Rogers has fixed the lagging between the Changing the channels & the Guide & a few other things.

Also guys lets stay on topic aswell. Do not assume or accuse anyone in here. Everyone has their OWN opinions & are able to write them out. We are all Rogers customers which have different issues with the Nexbox. If someone is posting " Do not go to Bell" or something similar to that, just ignore the post & go on posting the problems you guys may have. Please stay on topic here.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Main thing i would add to that list, would be, the showing of forward scheduled items to be recorded.
What i mean is, that you have a series set to record, new of that show, on this channel.  Lets say that is on Fri eve

The next friday eve, has loaded into the guide, you are able to browse forward to it and see it there.. there is no marker on it that you are scheduled to record it.

Not usualy until a day or so before hand, will it show up as an icon that it is scheduled.  If you had tried to schedule it before this, it would error that it already was.

This is more of a.. bug.. or display issue, than something that is broken.

Of all the issues that others have had, luckily this is the only one that has really effected me.  We lost one scheduled recording after the lag fix a week or so ago.. but thats been it, vs some people who have lost all their scheduled ones & saved recordings.  It seems hit and miss which users are effected and not.  have compared in the past, and same firmware/software versions, etc.

beyond that.. most general locks up/display issues, often the reboot will clear them up (at least till/if it happens again).  Beyond that, we will have to wait on fixes.  They have fixed some, and hopefully some of the other things will be fixed sooner rather than later.