Nextbox not working - There is power, but no signal to TV

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Around

Nextbox not working - There is power, but no signal to TV

My box is not working. There is power, but no signal to TV

***Edited Labels*** 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Nextbox not working - There is power, but no signal to TV

Try rebooting the box first, just to be sure.

Beyond that.. do you have other services with rogers, are they working?

May have to call in.. may be an outage in your area.. or something just local to your house.

Retired Moderator RogersHassam
Retired Moderator

Hello @Bendeckm,

Welcome to the Community! 

Is it showing "No signal" when you turn on your TV and box? If that's the case, you could be on the wrong input on the TV. Please provide more details of what you are seeing. If you are on the correct input, then try rebooting the box as @Gdkitty suggested to see if that helps. Please let us know. 

Thanks, 

RogersHassam 

I'm a Senior Advisor

Is your TV on Channel 3?

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I'm a Trusted Contributor

That happens to me occasionally when someone has hit the DVR button by mistake. Pressing TV then Cable usually get things back on track.
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi,

I'm having the same problem. I have a NextBox 3.0 PVR, which has been working fine last 2 years. On May 23, I noticed there was no display (no time or anything). I unplugged and powered back a few minutes later and no change. I confirmed there is power since the LAN cable on the back is powered green. Also plugged it elsewhere and same thing. On the TV, it says "no signal". Called Rogers and they could not get a signal from my box either. Basically said I need a new box and will provide a free one for the next 12 months and then I have to pay the monthly fee. Not sure if there was a recent push of an update that could have affected my PVR. Is it worth having a 3rd party take a look at it? Anyone experience this issue?

Thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adhyas : Here's a recent similar thread.  His problem was the power supply.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/NextBox-just-died/m-p/422136#M46211

You say you think you have power, but in a darkened room do you see a red light under the power switch from the front?  You have to view it from several angles to see it. Also, do you see a dull red light at the optical output on the back?

Often these sorts of issues are related to a poor signal at your home or in your neighbourhood. See the following post on the topic.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Nextbox-3-0-PVR-Skips-Recorded-Playback-Only/m-p/387839#M422...

When you called Rogers, did you have them check the signal at other boxes in the home or your neighbourhood?  Often if they cannot "see" a box it's because of a poor return signal.  When you try to reboot the box do you see anything on the front display, even temporarily, like "boot" or "----" or some numbers?

So, bad power supply, poor signal, or perhaps bad box, but the latter is quite rare.

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi 57,

Thanks for taking the time in replying and sending me the links. Answers to your questions:

- went to a dark room and I do not see any red light under the power button or at the optical port. The front display is completely blank (no time, no 'boot', no lights at all).

- I never asked rogers to check the signal to my old PVR in the basement (SA3800). That box works fine (though the hard drive stopped working a few years ago). 

I plugged in the NextBox downstairs where the other PVR is ... no difference. Though after that test, I took it back upstairs and tried again with the main TV. No change on the display but now the Ethernet lights (both green and amber) are continuously blinking (yesterday it was solid light).

I've had weak signal issues in the past but not sure how that would explain no display on the front?

I will be picking up my new NextBox later today/tomorrow and will take in my power supply cord to see if they can swap it to see if that makes a difference.

I read the other links but not sure if those are completely applicable, except for the fact it may be a weak signal issue since I've experienced that a year ago.

Let me know if you have seen "completely blank displays" from others. I will post again once I test a new power cord as well as the new PVR.

thanks.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@adhyas wrote: 

Let me know if you have seen "completely blank displays" from others. I will post again once I test a new power cord as well as the new PVR. 

The only completely blank display I recall is the recent one with the bad power supply where I already provided you the link.  Good Luck.

I've Been Here Awhile

Problem solved ... it was the power source adapter.

I picked up a new NextBox PVR this afternoon and simply used the new power adapter with my PVR ... it boot up and is now back to the way it was, and kept all my previous recordings. I will return the new PVR tomorrow and let them know I swapped out the power cord.

Thanks for all of the tips!