Nextbox firmware 5.0.0.0123 - Latest Version as of 9/9/2014

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Re: Nextbox firmware 5.0.0.0123 - Latest Version as of 9/9/2014

Since the new update which happened yesterday I guess I have noticed alot of pixation on my live TV...how do I fix this?...its on my Nextbox 3.0.

Thanks

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It COULD be pixelizing when its working HARD to do some of the shrink.

You can go into the diag menu by pressing EXIT till the power light flashes.. then the down arrow twice, then 2

Under the MEDIA shrink heading, on page two (press right arrow) will show when its running/last run...

Beyond that.. not sure of the 1080i/1080p might effect things now... if people who had changed to 1080i before to fix thing.. might be better now to change to 1080p, perhaps fixing the pixelization.

I'm a Regular

Is it pixelation or "blocking" (i.e. mpeg compression block noise)? This is when the picture breaks up slightly (especially during scenes of fast camera panning) into small squares or "blocks". I too have noticed that this has become worse recently on more channels than before. It's especially evident on AMC. I'm wondering if Rogers is playing around with compression again. The only way to improve this is for Rogers to move to mpeg 4 for all live channels with the h.264 codec. This is what Bell does for their Five tv service and it looks significantly better than Rogers. Moving to mpeg 4 with h.264 will also allow Rogers to push more data using the same amount of bandwidth as it's much more efficient than mpeg 2 - a win-win for them. The only challenge is that all Rogers customers must have equipment capable of decoding mpeg 4. Not sure why the picture quality is getting worse but it's a step in the wrong direction!
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

They have moved to MPEG4, for the recordings i know... thats the default new format they are being recorded in.. and what the media shrink is DOING to existing ones (converting from 2 to 4).

But it doesnt fully help, that they are not being broadcast in that.

But i think you hit the nail on the head... CAN they broadcast in that, if the OLDER boxes can not do it?  Would force obsolencence on pretty much everything older than the NB2 likely?  That would be a pretty big blow up by customers..

Fibe had the advantage.. that they could START that way from the start, as they dont have legacy hardware yet.

I would GATHER, that rogers likely will be starting to move towards an IP delivery method like fibe, and will start there will full MPEG4 feed out for any customer signing up with it.

I'm Here A Lot

I did a reboot ... and I changed my setting to 1080P, seems to be ok for now...who knows maybe they did something right for a change. I have noticed some channels have changed though.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

It might vary by channel, feed, and what your watching.

Come to think of it, i might have noticed some of it last night.. but only on one thing.

My son was watching something (yub yubs i think on disney jr?) where there were the characters on a solid white background.. i noticed some of it then.  Didnt on the following show, not to say it wasnt there.. but may have just blended better.

I'm a Regular

Bell HAD to go with mpeg 4 since they have a lot less bandwidth on their twisted pair copper compared to Rogers coax. Mpeg 4 uses a lower bitrate than mpeg 2 so I doubt Bell has enough bandwidth to encode with mpeg 2. By default, Bell benefited from the higher quality compression. I agree with you, Gdkitty - it's doubtful that Rogers will start encoding live broadcast in mpeg 4 until they move to an all-IP tv service like Fibe. From what I understand, Rogers is pushing to have IPTV ready by end of 2015. Having said that, it's Rogers we're talking about so expect delays and/or a service full of bugs 🙂
I'm a Reliable Contributor

My 8642HD (NB2) is on 5.0.0.0123 and has been acting strange for about a week. However, when I go into Diagnostic Mode (Hold exit until flash, release then quickly press Down Down 2), there is no 'media convert' section.

The oddeties experienced:

- box froze 2 nights in a row doing updates.. missed scheduled F1 qualifying and the first half of a Premier League soccer match as a result

- I record 'Jeopardy' as a daily series recording, set to auto-delete after 2 days. Yet on Saturday, my Series recordings folder showed 4 episodes

- To my surprise (and delight), the 4 episodes in that Series folder were listed in Oldest-First order (the reverse of normal, which is newest at the top). Of course oldest-first is actually more intuitive as who watches the most recent episode of a series first when unseen episodes appear below? This would have also solved the long-standing 'Folder Playback' bug, but alas oldest-first appears to have been only a weird glitch as following a reboot none of them are this way now. 😞

- None of my Recordings would play back. The 'Play/Lock/Delete/Save Until..' overlay appeared but hitting 'OK' kicked me back to the Recordings list.

- Following a reboot because of the above issue, my 'Jeopardy' folder correctly showed 2 episodes. However now my 'Top Gear' folder (with dozens of episodes in it) had vanished! The 'By Date' list also was missing this series, and the oldest-first apparent 'fix'(/glitch) had also vanished.

- I rebooted and 'Top Gear' had returned, but 'Jeopardy' only (incorrectly) showed 1 episode -- and it never came back... gone for good.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thanks for the info.

It looks like the MEDIA SHRINK, may only be present, on the NB3 boxes.. and not the NB2 boxes.

Weither the NB2's then, are recording in MPEG4.. may be the question.  They may not have the stuff set up to do the conversion.. but can they do it raw out of the box?

If not.. that makes a HUGE difference in terms of storage capabilities between the two.

The highest NB2 is a 500g drive.. holding 60 HD hours in MPEG2. 
The NB3 with MPEG2 was 120 hours with the 1g drive... should be up to just under 240 with mpeg4.
(or people like me with the 2g extender.. 400+hours >.>)

I'm a Regular

So if currently stored/recorded content is being converted to mpeg 4, and live tv is still mpeg 2, does that mean the box will constantly be working to convert all future recordings?