Nextbox firmware 5.0.0.0123 - Latest Version as of 9/9/2014

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Nextbox firmware 5.0.0.0123 - Latest Version as of 9/9/2014

Just wanted to do a little thread, on the NEWEST firmware release for the NB3/NB2/HD boxes.

NB3 Specific:

- DD5.1 to PCM2.0 audio drop - would drop from DD5.1, often requiring a reboot (daily) to get it back.  Sometimes also noticable with a regular TV and no 5.1 surround sound.  Some people reported a high freqency pitch sound associated with it.

SOLVED - Pretty much all users that i have seen report this hear and elsewhere, which had the issue, have not had to reboot their unit in over a week.  If it still exists.. its few and far between likely.

- HDMI-CEC - These features allow one to use the 'auto input' switching on a AVR or TV, where when you turn the device on, it will auto turn the TV on and change it to the right channel, etc.  This was broken, and it was actually causing feedback, not allowing devices to even switch inputs properly, without turning off the CEC features on the TV or AVR.

SOLVED? - Havent heard alot on this yet.. just two users, but both say its working fine now.  I am going to try mine out this weekend and will report back.

NEW Features:

- MPEG4 compression - It appears that all new shows recorded, are being now recorded in MPEG4 (vs MPEG2 previous).  This in the end, should roughly DOUBLE the storage space available on the PVRS (beleive applies to both NB3 and NB2 but can not confirm NB2)

- Previous Recording Compression - It does appear, that OLDER recordings, are being converted over, as well.  In the diagnostic menus, there is a media convert section now active, and can be seen sometimes working on converting files over.
Some users, while this is happening, have noticed a little more slugishness on commands, etc while its happening (which makes sense as the box is working HARD to do the conversion).  Myself, notices almost an FPS drop while it was going yesterday.

New Issues?:
Some people have run into some bugs with the whole home PVR setup, with the latest firmware.
- After playback on a remote box.. instead of going to the last channel, its tuning to the channel that the PVR unit is recording at the time.

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Nextbox firmware 5.0.0.0123 - Latest Version as of 9/9/2014

Thanks for the update!

How do I check the firmware versioin on a NB3?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Hole EXIT until the power light flashes.

Then press down twice

Then 2

Should show on the first page there.

I'm a Senior Advisor

There's an easier way without dropping into the diagnostics menu.

Hit 'Settings', scroll to 'Troubleshooting', then scroll to 'System Information'

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, sorry you can see the firmware ver there.

But if you want to see any of the signal or other info, would be via my method mentioned above.

I Plan to Stick Around

- HDMI-CEC - These features allow one to use the 'auto input' switching on a AVR or TV, where when you turn the device on, it will auto turn the TV on and change it to the right channel, etc.  This was broken, and it was actually causing feedback, not allowing devices to even switch inputs properly, without turning off the CEC features on the TV or AVR.

SOLVED? - Havent heard alot on this yet.. just two users, but both say its working fine now.  I am going to try mine out this weekend and will report back.

Solved for me!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Good to hear! I will still have to test on mine this weekend.

Not a HUGE deal here.. was just if i used my AVR.. leaving the CEC on, on it... the rogers box would bugger stuff up, and not let it easy switch back when i turned the AVR off..

Turned the CEC off, bit i have to change back to the TV input, before turning it off.. as the passthrough would only work on the LAST input then.

HOPEFULLY, this should mean, i can turn the AVR off, it noticed input through the TV input, and switched auto over.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Two more things from my summary thread over on Digital Home:

- It now seems to take a short while for the video to "restart" after FF, REW, Skip-back or 3-min SKIP (back or forward). It takes anywhere from almost no time, to a bit over a second. During this "re-synching", the audio will play, but the video will be frozen.

- Some people have plugged an ethernet cable into their 9865s. There is no reason to do this and it has caused an issue with the latest firmware (5.0.0.0123). People have seen "Er99" and constant reboots. Unplug the ethernet cable from your 9865. It serves no purpose at this time.

I'm a Regular

Not sure if it's a result of the new firmware but has anyone noticed that the 1080p setting on the NB3 now works fine?
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup! Looks like they've finally worked out all of the major kinks.