Nextbox clicking

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox clicking

My Nextbox make a lot of clicking sounds that are very annoying.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how to correct this?

Thanks

***Edited Labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Re: Nextbox clicking

Hi @Patrick4,

Welcome to the Community!

Just to clarify, do you notice the clicking sound when completing a specific function (e.g changing a channel, pressing record button, navigating) or is it constantly there? Also, did you just recently start experiencing this or has this persisted for a while?

Thanks,

RogersZia

I Plan to Stick Around

I just had my Nextbox replaced. This one has a clicking sound. It is erratic but prety steady.

Pat

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Mine clicks all the time too. It's so weird.  Its my new HD box.

I Plan to Stick Around

I think I am going to put a switch on it and turn it off when I am not using it.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Patrick4 wrote:

I think I am going to put a switch on it and turn it off when I am not using it.

I assume you mean on the power input.  That means it will have to power up and download guide each time.  That's a long time to wait to use the box.

Which versioin of Netbox, 2 or 3, & which model (is it PVR)?

I'm an Advisor

Just a heads up - I had a 'clicking' noise coming from my Nextbox 2 HD PVR (8642HD), and it turned out to be the hard drive...it was overheating due to an ongoing technical issue and was failing.

@mfait is correct about the guide download - your box could take up to 10 minutes each time you 'flip the switch' to become useable again.  Best to continue troubleshooting and fix the problem.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If it's a PVR (8642 or 9865), it has an iHDD (internal Hard Disk Drive).  This drive does make some noise, but it's usually a whirring sound, not a clicking noise. As mentioned above, if it's clicking, then there is usually an issue with the HDD and ready to fail.

The HDD is accessed when the unit is on because it's recording the channel you're on (pause live TV), unless you change to channel 950 for example which doesn't record.  But even when the PVR is "off" (actually standby), there are firmware updates, IPG updates, etc that can cause the HDD to "come alive".  A regular STB like the 4642 should be silent.

You should always have your PVR in a well-ventillated area to preclude overheating. Do not place anything on top of the PVR.  It's usually a good idea to plug any PVR into a UPS to preclude head crashes and to reboot if possibile using "Settings - Troubleshooting" instead of unplugging.

I Plan to Stick Around

It is a nextbox 3 with pvr. I would only do it once a day. I like to read in the morning so I would have it off then and turn it on for the rest of the day. I will experiment.

I Plan to Stick Around

Good advise. I will continue to experiment. I am probably sensitve to noise. It may not bother most people.