Nextbox? You Have Got to be Kidding!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Nextbox? You Have Got to be Kidding!

We just replaced one of our suuuppper sllowww  HD PVRs with the 'New' Next Box.

What a disappointment!!!! What the heck is Rogers thinking??? The old model was so 1988... the Next Box is more like 1984!

The guide is useless, can't be read unless you are close enough and its STILL slow! What the heck kind of software is it running??? It should be able to scroll down a channel instantly! Only 5 channels at a time? Why don't I have the option to see more??

The PVR listing is the worst. WAY too hard to easily read. Just a cluttered mess.

Why am I still forced to browse all 1000 channels rather than just having the option to view the ones I subscribe too, or better yet just those we mark as favorites if thats what is necessary? If I just want to check what is on it takes 5-10 minutes to browse.

Why is it so slow to mark favorites?

Its missing audio on half our recordings.

Why are we still using a remote designed back in 1984?

Search isn't any better than before?

Why don't I have the option to control it with an iPad, iPhone or other wifi tablet to overcome its shortcomings?

Why doesn't it control the digital volume out like the old one? Now we have to swtich the remote to our audio device to change the volume and back to Cable to change a channel. What the??

Why do we still pay extra for 'HD" channels? HD has been around for 30 years. Thats like Bell charging for 'touch tone' all these years I guess. lol

I should have known when I saw the Next Box commerical and it featured being able to run around the house while watching the same show rather than a usable device.

Its about time we just take all the crap back in and go basic digital box with a few channels and forget HD, PVRs etc. Too frustrating. Better yet old fashioned, yet reliable and simple antenna. Watching online is so much easier lol !

Why do they insist watching TV should be rocket science?

Can't wait till Apple comes out with their TV and Rogers will be so history in this household!!!!

Sorry for the rant. I was hoping things would get better with Rogers not worst...

***Edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Nextbox? You Have Got to be Kidding!

Agree with everything you said. Read threw the forums and you will see many are complaining. The remote looks really old. The boxes are supposed to be new but really are not. The channels you see are all of them but the ones that are dark color are the ones we do not have. Rogers should have add the option to take that ofd so we do not waste time looking thew all it

Also Apple will not make a cable service. They are just making a TV from what hints are and the Apple Tv boxes they have now are just a few movies and shows. Its not real Cable.
I Plan to Stick Around

If Apple made the cable boxes for Rogers then Rogers would actually have a lot of happy customers!

The programmers that designed the software for the Next Box should all be fired. It's one of the most non-intuitive pieces of software I have seen in a long time, and we are still stuck with a remote with 60 buttons on it lol.

I like the fact that my Apple TV's remote only has 2 buttons. WAY better, except for search of course.

Would have been nice if they had provided contol of the device via an app on a tablet as an option. Then we could use useable software to select only the channels we want to and just type in what we want to watch rather than cursoring around with the number pad to do searches through thousands of channels.

Even the 'What's On TV' app on my iPad is 10,000 times better as a guide than the Rogers guide. I can choose who is my provider, my location and then choose what channels I get so I only see those. Easy to scroll and set reminders etc. VERY simple and very fast!

I'm a Trusted Contributor

Meowmix, the delete channels option is in your settings on the new box. It deletes them from the guide as well once you are done. It took me about an hour and now I have about 100 channels left. It also deletes the channels as you channel up and down so now I go from 59 to 246 to 501....
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Ahh cool thank you for letting me know :).

Anyways tho they should have never add those channels on the guide if we do not pay for them. Even with the setting its still a pain you know?. People do not know about this setting & still go threw all those channels.
I Plan to Stick Around

We tried to use the Next Box one more day. We found more operational frustrations and the complexity of sifting through the list of recorded shows is ridiculous and it took two of us trying all the 60 buttons just to go back to viewing the current channel. When you press record on a show you are watching, there is no feedback to indicate you are now recording it, and it doesn't give you the option to record the series either which is frustrating.

Alas we have found the solution to our Next Box problems ! Smiley Happy

As far as being forced to browse through 1000 channel of which we get some we decided to downgrade our package to digital plus. Now we only have to scroll through channels 2-70. Easy! We know all our channels are in that range and thanks to Next Box we will now save $15 on digital programming.

The other solution is to return the Next Box and get a basic digital box which will save us another $24.95 (we have one of the older HD PVRS that works ok.. one is enough).

We will now enjoy a $45.15 lower Roger monthly bill !

Thank you Next Box!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@campadk wrote:

We tried to use the Next Box one more day. We found more operational frustrations and the complexity of sifting through the list of recorded shows is ridiculous and it took two of us trying all the 60 buttons just to go back to viewing the current channel. When you press record on a show you are watching, there is no feedback to indicate you are now recording it, and it doesn't give you the option to record the series either which is frustrating.

THere are a few different views of recorded shows.. my wife and i tend to leave it on the group setting.. it then folders all of a similar show ,  so you can go down to that folder and look through just all of that show.

To go back to viewing the current channel.. if you want out of the pvr playback, if list doesnt work, just hit Exit.

I do agree that there is nothing when you hit record.. other than the red light on the box itself.

BUT! there is a way to record the series.  If you hit info when you are watching a particular channel, it will pop up the text info for what you are watching.. and there are a BUNCH of options across the top.  This allows you to record, record series... a couple of other things i forget, and turn on closed captioning. 

I've Been Around

To record a series. Highlight the show you want to record on the guide and press ok/select, NOT   the record button.  You will see a record series option on the menu that pops up... This the the same menu that will allow you to extend recording times.  Some posters have said they couldn't find that option either.

Hope this helps.

Im a customer too, not an employee.

I've Been Around

Yes I agree also I took the lost and flung mine out the window thank god it was open.at least no more wasting time on a bad product.BEWARE? Have fun all!.
I've Been Here Awhile

what's this set priority thing? I currently have two series to be recorded and tyring to record a third one. It only shows tmr's episode is recorded but not the day after.