Nextbox 4k PVR Extender

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Nextbox 4k PVR Extender

I talked to a tech. at rogers about this very issue i am having, he said 1 or even 2 tb ehdd will work but not a 3 TB when it formats it does not recognize system. that true with all bell sat receiver set tops, i had the bell/9241 with 1 tb eterenal, and with 2 x 2TB hardrive's connected to a hub and i would just toggle the switch (on off) and it was slower than say sata connection but regardless it play all hd movies perfectly.  BUT NOW im with ROGERS and im getting my 4K HDR/UHD sony model this week. 

BUT coming back to my question, when i was on amazon, it had a adapter plug to use, sata adapter to plug in the back of the 4k rogers set/top box, connect that output to my WesternDigital External HDD via a usb connection. Reason i say this the connector to the W/D hard drive is unique to all its hard drive and its a 3.1 USB C Connector via USB outlet to >>> Set/top, SO is there a WesternDigital connector via SATA outlet to >>> set top box? I was googling every avenue to find such cable to (My BOOK 2TB WesternDigital eHDD) i then found this adapter available on amazon for 11 bucks..it  is my last resort to see if the harddrive will work on the rogers 4k top set box, BUT am i to believe only SEAGATE is compatible to ROGERS? software is identical to Western Digital. \

ANYONE know if there is a SATA /Connect to WESTERN DIGITAL ,if you do it will help me in trying to fix that gap i am trying to resolve !

I Plan to Stick Around

This model (adapter) look it up at Amazon.ca its make model 'CERRXIAN Esatap Connector Adapter) and it reads like it says.....If anyone has details on this issue with Rogers 4k extender... ' I WANT MORE SPACE IN MY PVR!!!'

Hello @ajdankaradeniz,

Having more space for your PVR is always a big plus as there are so many great programs available to watch these days but not enough time to catch them all live.

From my knowledge, the external hard drive would need to be maximum 1 TB in storage space and needs to connect to the PVR using an eSata cable for the PVR to recognize the external drive. 

We have Community members who may be able to shine more light on this topic, I will be sure to tag them into this post @57, @Gdkitty.

I hope this helps!

RogersTony

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yes, eSATA is the connection you need at the PVR. The other end should be whatever you have.  I did see the "MyBook" mentioned and I'm not sure that works as an eHDD, unless it's formatted on a computer to remove the "MyBook" traits. The issue with many of the non-standard drives is that they can go to sleep and those do not work with the PVR. Most people have used either the WD black or blue drives.  If a drive is larger than the PVR can access, it usually just formats the part that can be accessed. I have seen posts from people who have stated that they have added eHDDs larger than 1TB...

My comments in my previous post still hold though in that the PVR is intended as a timeshifting device and not an archiving device because it's not a matter of if, but when the iHDD (containing the index) or the eHDD will fail.

I Plan to Stick Around

Yes it does not have sleep mode, i used my 2tb on bell sat set top and never had any issues with ehdd, So why would it be a problem on the long run on rogers 4.0 4k? is it a bug internally in the software/hardware design? My quesion is IF  i add a adapter so as my (w/d ehh usb3.1 >>> usb/esata (converter/adapter) >>> e sata *rogers4k')  input/output?

I can not get a clear answer, im getting through amazon for $10 so its not a BIG gamble if it doesnt work... W/D is still mum about reply to this exact query.

jimzozo

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

ok tell me this, is the rogers 4.0 4k set top box compatible with windows,if yes then i should have no problems with w/d ehdd

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi;
These systems use a mips processor - which used to be the heart of silicon graphics systems. Windows would never run in them. I don’t think this has anything to do with either windows or western digital. It will have everything to do with drive speed and wakefulness. Drives required for the nextbox 3 had to be SATA-II or higher at 6 gb/s - drive make did not matter. Check your drives rated transfer speed. Both the nextbox 3 & 4 use similar processors/technology - though one is obviously newer. The drive should also not “spin down” (go to sleep) - which is what I mean by wakefulness.
I think your bigger problem maybe the external case (housing) that the would-be extender is housed in. You may need a new case. SATA to USB bridges usually won’t work.
I Plan to Stick Around

Hmm. then what will work with a nextbox4k, as ehdd i am not willing to tear it up and change internal hard drive, what make will support proper connection to esata, now days they dont make 1 tb exdd, 

AND can you go to amazon.ca (type in esata converter adapter) they have one that i am going to buy just to seei if it can work with my current ehdd.

I have heard that next box 3.0 works 100% with most and all ehdd without any glitch! WHAT gives with next box 4.0 4k i have read other posts its a  mess when it comes to the next box 4k (in extender) what gives?? when you say it will eventually crash and unable to read recorded programming? something is fishy...some needs to look at this further, #I WANT MORE SPACE TO RECORD MY MOVIES AND GAMES!!!! some one help!!! (Ugh!) Dont get me wrong the next box 4K is great in every other way hand down i  am happy, but did the developers of 4k ever think about extenders? specailly now in this era of 4k its twice amount of space needed than HD recordings.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ajdankaradeniz: Here are my thoughts on this.

1. Yes, many drives did work with the various Rogers PVRs, however, the firmware did not "wake" the drives if they were the kind that spun down, like the Mybook computer drive did.  There is apparently a MyBook PVR drive made specifically for PVRs, but you may or may not have that one.

2. The fact that it worked on Bell has no bearing on what works with Rogers. The firmware is different and Bell firmware may have been designed to wake the drive. 

3. It is possible that Rogers modified the firmware since the following discussions in these old threads over on Digital Home, however, if you search the 8300 thread for "MyBook" it was made quite clear that the computer version did not work on Rogers at that time and I don't believe the eHDD portion of the firmware changed.  If anything, the firmware has become more pared down regarding eHDDs because of other features that were added:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/23773-sa8300hd-external-sata-d...

4. The following "newer" thread discussed the fact that most people were happiest with the WD Blue or Black drives:

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/123790-rogers-8642-9865-hd-pvr...

5. It was stated by a recent poster ( @drewsk ) that USB connections on the drive/enclosure end don't work.   I believe this is really not the case since many people purchased USB/eSATA enclosures like the Vantec that did work....  What's important is the connector at the PVR end, the enclosure itself (most people used Vantec) and the drive.

6. People who have eHDDs connected seem to encounter more issues with their PVRs/recordings than people without eHDDs.

7. The reason there's little recent information is because the 9865 (NB3) and 4K PVRs came with a 1TB iHDD plus "media shrink", so very few people found the need for additional storage, since the unit was capable of close to 200 hours of recording and as I mentioned earlier, the PVR is not intended for "archiving".  The early threads regarding eHDDs were developed at a time when the iHDD was only 160 GB and there was no media shrink, so newer PVRs have 10 times as much equivalent drive space...

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Could be the hard drive you used.

Regular desktop drives are not optimized for PVR use.  See more info here.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Next-Box-3-0-and-PVR-Extender/m-p/353321#M37933

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 22 replies
  • 4 Likes
  • 8 in conversation