Nextbox 4k PVR Extender

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Nextbox 4k PVR Extender

Hi;

I'm having an issue creating a PVR extender for the Nextbox 4k.

For the Nextbox 3.0, I had all the technical specifications from Cisco - everything from memory sizing, flash sizing, internal HDD, external HDD's (etc) and I built a 3 TB external PVR extender for the Nextbox 3 that works just fine.

When I received the Nextbox 4 I moved the extender over to there. It was recognized and the nextbox 4 formatted it without any issues. For reference the drive is a 3 TB, 7200 rpm, 6 GB/s sata <-> sata (sata II) connected drive. It recorded everything perfectly with the nextbox 3. When plugged into the nextbox 4, it is recognized, but is not recording correctly. There is nothing wrong with the drive. What happens is that is starts recording (normally), but cuts out after approx 3 - 15 mins. Each show has a recording length in that range with the avg. being seven minutes.

I've seen some talk of using the usb 3 port on the nextbox 4, but the sata to sata should be fine (in fact better). Perhaps the drive needs to be sata III instead of II.

Are there any specifications out there as to the requirements of the Nextbox 4 (CAV10455)?

Any suggestions here?

Thanks,

Drew.

***EDITED LABELS***

Highlighted

Re: Nextbox 4k PVR Extender

Hello, @drewsk

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Since the advent of Nextbox 3.0 with 1 TB  internal storage, the use of PVR Extenders has declined. I believe there are a few members of our Community who still uses the PVR Extender. 

I checked the specifications of the NextBox 4K PVR box and it seems the maximum supported External storage is 1 TB. I'm not sure if connecting a 3 TB drive will cause the issues you were observing. 

@Community - Any thoughts on this issue? Also, inviting 57@Gdkitty to this conversation.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Could be the hard drive you used.

Regular desktop drives are not optimized for PVR use.  See more info here.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Next-Box-3-0-and-PVR-Extender/m-p/353321#M37933

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi;

There should be no hard limit for the externel HDD size. Internal HDD's are limited to 2TB (both Nextbox 3 & 4).

Since there are no published specifications for the cAV10455, I can only use the online specs I have for the Nextbox 3. There are a few differences (such as CPU, etc - so the specifications have probably been upgraded. As to the Rogers comment that "no one needs a PVR extender anymore" - I disagree. 4 TB on my nextbox 3 was perfect. I just don't understand the timeouts on the nextbox 4. What I'd really love Rogers to share is the technical specifications document for the CAV10455 in much the same way Time Warner Cable did for the 9865 (Nextbox 3)

https://www.timewarnercable.com/content/dam/residential/images/support/faqs/TV/digital-cable/cisco/c...

I'm a Senior Advisor

@drewsk wrote:

As to the Rogers comment that "no one needs a PVR extender anymore" - I disagree. 4 TB on my nextbox 3 was perfect.

I don't have a Nextbox or 4K PVR, just a lowly SA8300HD with the stock 160 Gig hard drive. I record 2 or 3 or more shows a day, but I watch them and delete them, so it's 33% full at the moment.  But most of what's on there is archived, even though it's stated time and time again that a PVR is meant to be a time shift device, not an archive.  I could go through my recorded shows right now and probably delete most of them because realistically I probably won't watch them. I usually do a purge when my recordings reach 60%.  It boggles my mind what someone would do with 4 TB of shows, maybe a week of binge watching?  But I feel comfortable with 1 or 2 TB hard drives in my computers. Go figure.

SA8300HD, SA8300SD, DTA50, LG-E410B PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersMoin wrote:

Hello, @drewsk

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums! Smiley Happy

Thank you for posting your query in the Community. Since the advent of Nextbox 3.0 with 1 TB  internal storage, the use of PVR Extenders has declined. I believe there are a few members of our Community who still uses the PVR Extender. 

I checked the specifications of the NextBox 4K PVR box and it seems the maximum supported External storage is 1 TB. I'm not sure if connecting a 3 TB drive will cause the issues you were observing. 

@Cormer - Any thoughts on this issue? Also, inviting 57@Gdkitty to this conversation.

Cheers,

RogersMoin

Connecting a extra 1tb hard drive expander is possible on nextbox 4.0? I was told this external hard drive add on can only be purchased through rogers? Seagate? Western Digital? does not apply here>?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@ajdankaradeniz : You should be able to add an eHDD to the 4K PVR, however, I have the following comments.

1. Here's a link - the WD "Black" drives in an appropriate enclosure like the Vantec are usually the best for PVR applications.  The link is for the 8642, 9865, however, it should also be applicable to the 4K PVR.

https://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/61-rogers-cable-tv-hd-pvr-discussion/123790-rogers-8642-9865-hd-pvr...

2. Rogers hasn't sold eHDD for several years.

3. The PVR should be considered a timeshifting device, and not an archiving device, so the iHDD should be adequate for that purpose.

4. It's not a matter of if, but when the iHDD will fail, and then all recordings are lost since the index is on the iHDD.

5. eHDDs have been a source of issues for some people.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am aware you can add a External HDD to the NextBox 4.0 via using a SATA Cable. NOW this is the matter at hand, i am unware of SATA cables so i want to be informed on these specs.  There are several SATA Cable Connectors. MY QUESTION is i want to connect my existing E/HHD  to the SATA terminal on the NextBox 4.0. MY e/hdd is USB 3.0 so do i get which correct cable connector is IT The (1) SATA  (2) e sata (3) s sata (4) sata ii to my ehdd via "usb <> (?)sata'

Any help will be appreciated.

I Plan to Stick Around

Does WesternDigital External H/D compatible with rogers next box 4k?  or is Seagate only?

I've Been Here Awhile

Hi;

Precise details for the Nextbox 4.0 are skimpy at best. Cisco did release exact specifications for the Nextbox 3.0 which can be downloaded from Time Warner Cable under the Cisco name.

For the 3.0 it had to be sata <-> sats (No USB whatsoever). The drive had to be SATA II or higher @ 6 gb/s transfer. I recommend the 7200 rpm drives. Does not matter the brand of drive.

A standard external SATA cable rated SATA II or SATA III is fine. No (repeat no) SATA to USB bridge.

Nextbox 4.0 recognized my SATA II drive that I used with Nextbox 3.0 and formatted it. However, Nextbox 4.0 only records approx 7 mins of a show on PVR extender before cutting out. I have not been able to solve this. Cisco sold the rights to consumer PVR's to Technicolor - Technicolor has not released specifications or details.

What you can do -> you can open the Nextbox 4 and trade the internal HDD from 1 TB to 2 TB (3.5 or 2.5") maintaining SATA II or SATA II. You will need to call in and re-authorize the box as it will have to reinstall it's O/S. (Write down the serial number). Secondly, you will have to buy a Security set of Torx bits (recommend Amazon for this). Third, if you break it, you just bought it ($500 to Rogers).

I have increased my Nextbox 3 to 2tb internal hdd, max ram (3gb), external, 3tb -> total 5tb and returned the nextbox 4 to rogers.